Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM

195 posts, read 284,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I think the stress study is biased. They compared apples (suburban teens) to oranges (inner-city teens).
Not only that, they compare upper middle class suburban teens to low income urban teens. So whats the main factor? That they are richer, or that they live in a suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Surprise! That's what most tweens and teens want to do! The environment doesn't matter. Surely you remember this from being a kid yourself.

I think the stress study is biased. They compared apples (suburban teens) to oranges (inner-city teens).
I wouldn't say the environment doesn't matter - I think an environment that supports giving kids their freedom in a safe way is the most ideal in the tween/teen years. I'm particularly concerned about cars, because as a kid/tween had some terrible experiences. My neighbor was run over by a bus (I witnessed that) and I came very close to being hit by a car. This was in the suburbs so not where I'd really think traffic would be a big concern, but the streets were quite busy and without stop lights.

For teens, I'd be worried about driving, and am happy that in the city they'll have the opportunity to get out of the neighborhood without a car (sadly I also had peers in terrible automobile accidents as teens).

I think wherever you are, it's scary to be a parent in the tween/teen years. You need to let out the leash, but it's stressful.

Last edited by yodel; 03-16-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I wouldn't say the environment doesn't matter - I think an environment that supports giving kids their freedom in a safe way is the most ideal in the tween/teen years. I'm particularly concerned about cars, because as a kid/tween had some terrible experiences. My neighbor was run over by a bus (I witnessed that) and I came very close to being hit by a car. This was in the suburbs so not where I'd really think traffic would be a big concern, but the streets were quite busy and without stop lights.

For teens, I'd be worried about driving, and am happy that in the city they'll have the opportunity to get out of the neighborhood without a car (sadly I also had peers in terrible automobile accidents as teens).

I think wherever you are, it's scary to be a parent in the tween/teen years. You need to let out the leash, but it's stressful.
As far as teens wanting to hang out with their friends, and not take in cultural events, etc, the environment doesn't matter one whit. That's what teens want to do. It's funny b/c that's the age where the museums, etc begin to have some meaning other than an outing.

As far as parenting teens, it's not for sissies!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Semi-urban?

That's new.

[amused]
semiURBAN

Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While I'm as much an urban booster as anyone else, I'm guessing most (if not all) of the people you knew who grew up in the city are middle/upper middle class and white.

From what I've seen, few people who grow up within city limits and came from a somewhat wealthy background have suburban aspirations. But plenty of black kids do (particularly the ones who grow up in the worst neighborhoods), as do the kids who grow up in the remaining working-class white enclaves within major cities. They might not actually ever get the means to be in the suburbs, but that's still what they want.
Not in the least bit. All of them were middle class and of mixed races. Asian, black, white, and even blue. I don't know of any city kids who want to live in the suburbs, none.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not in the least bit. All of them were middle class and of mixed races. Asian, black, white, and even blue. I don't know of any city kids who want to live in the suburbs, none.
You both are also from two very different cities, so that could have something to do with your differing experiences.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
Quote:
In re: depression-I think the suburban kids' parents can more afford the treatment. Doesn't mean their rate is higher.

Take a look at these high school graduation rates. Now I know that doesn't mean anything to any one student, but as a group, the suburban kids are doing far better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...pout.html?_r=0
** In Cleveland, for instance, where the gap was largest, only 38 percent of high school freshmen graduated within four years, compared with 80 percent in the Cleveland suburbs, the report said. In Baltimore, which has the nation’s second-largest gap, 41 percent of students graduate from city schools, compared with 81 percent in the suburbs.

New York also had a large gap, with 54 percent of freshmen graduating within four years from schools in the city, compared with 83 percent from suburban high schools.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._rates_in.html
**Seventeen of the nation's 50 largest cities had high school graduation rates lower than 50 percent, with the lowest graduation rates reported in Detroit, Indianapolis and Cleveland, according to a report released Tuesday.
I haven't been on here in a while. Been busy.

It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that kids in the suburbs graduate at far higher rates than kids in inner cities or rural communities with similar conditions. That comes down to socioeconomics. The largest factor is most always going to be how much the parents make and how educated they are whether it's rural, suburbs, or city.

The more affluent someone is, the higher their chances of their kid becoming depressed. Your statement about affording depression treatment and curing it illustrates why depression is much more higher in developed countries overall compared to developing ones: an obsession with what money can buy. When one's physical needs can be easily met, all they have left to do is be bombarded by commercial images and compare themselves to people who have more. That higher rate of depression is what leads to higher rates of substance abuse.

Quote:
Surprise! That's what most tweens and teens want to do! The environment doesn't matter. Surely you remember this from being a kid yourself.

I think you have a little confirmation bias going on. Of course you don't think so. It contradicts what you believe. And to address your statement: no it's not apples to oranges. These studies focus on the suburbs because that's where these problems tends to be the highest and they compare to inner city kids because you would think with the problem would be just as bad considering the environment. It's hauntingly similar to third world vs first world countries

Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Overall not that I can see with problems i city even effecting adults in mnay areas. I mean in mnay cities we see what security thr rich are willig to pay for as they see it as needed.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I think you have a little confirmation bias going on. Of course you don't think so. It contradicts what you believe. And to address your statement: no it's not apples to oranges. These studies focus on the suburbs because that's where these problems tends to be the highest and they compare to inner city kids because you would think with the problem would be just as bad considering the environment. It's hauntingly similar to third world vs first world countries
But that doesn't sound like an urban/suburban divide so much as a class issue. You yourself said that "The more affluent someone is, the higher their chances of their kid becoming depressed."

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

Maybe you could provide some links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning