Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

This is where I currently live, a suburb about 18 miles north of downtown Miami. Note the high rises are widely separated (parking lots, landscaping), set back far from the roads, and some of them don't have sidewalks! You can imagine how rush hour traffic can get since every one of those windows represents a car on the road.

aventura, fl - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
This is where I currently live, a suburb about 18 miles north of downtown Miami. Note the high rises are widely separated (parking lots, landscaping), set back far from the roads, and some of them don't have sidewalks! You can imagine how rush hour traffic can get since every one of those windows represents a car on the road.

aventura, fl - Google Maps
Interesting. I've never seen such a development like this. Seems like the worst of both worlds, all the downside of density (no space, congestion, noise) with no of the positive (walkability, better mass transit, lively streets). At least you have the beach nearby.

Interesting that the density is 9600 / square mile. Usually I associated that density (at a neighborhood level not for an entire city) with an area somewhat walkable, with a mix of single family and some low rise multifamily homes mixed in. Shows the same density can mean very different places.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting. I've never seen such a development like this. Seems like the worst of both worlds, all the downside of density (no space, congestion, noise) with no of the positive (walkability, better mass transit, lively streets). At least you have the beach nearby.

Interesting that the density is 9600 / square mile. Usually I associated that density (at a neighborhood level not for an entire city) with an area somewhat walkable, with a mix of single family and some low rise multifamily homes mixed in. Shows the same density can mean very different places.

Exactly! It's a unique setting...we have the density of a walkable city, but the design was done in a very 1960-70's suburban approach, complete with cul-de-sacs...only with high-rise condos instead of houses. You're right though, it is probably the proximity to the beach (and malls and country clubs) that makes people actually want to live here. In my case though, it's the rent.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Basically Le Corbusier-style "Radiant City" design, intended as free-standing high-density towers in a forest/park setting, connected by automobile expressways. Like most of Le Corbu's ideas, the theory is much prettier than the practice--typically that forest/park tends to be a lawn/parking lot, and the effortlessly smooth expressways end up in traffic jams. Density doesn't always mean walkability.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Urban

Suburban

Rural

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Urban

Suburban

Rural

A++ You are the first person that I have seen get this right on City Data.

rep points for having a brain instead of repeating what you heard other people say

Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
This is my experience growing up in Metro Detroit (locations picked somewhat at random)

Urban Commercial
Detroit - Google Maps

Urban Residential
Detroit - Google Maps

Medium-Density Suburban Residential
Dearborn, MI - Google Maps

Medium-Density Suburban Commercial
Royal Oak, MI - Google Maps

Suburban Sprawl Residential
Canton, MI - Google Maps

Suburban Sprawl Commercial
Troy, MI - Google Maps

Rural
Michigan - Google Maps

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Urban

Suburban

Rural
I appreciate the reply, but I started this thread to get away from the stereotypes.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Urban - Lots of concrete... Small dogs walked on leashes. Restaurants. Subways. Vagrants. Bus Stops. Traffic lights. Tall buildings. Flower shops. Corner Stores. Boutiques. Coffee shops with outdoor seating. Taxis. Wrought Iron. Lots of very poor people and very affluent people.

Suburban - Manicured lawns. Dogs in yards. Fast Food restaurants. Cars. Cul-de-sacs. Single family houses. Shopping malls. Low Fences. Long commutes. ADT signs. Streetlights. Grids of houses. Interesting development names. 1/4 acre lots. Children. Bicycles. HOA's. Big concentration of middle class.

Rural - Farms. Cats in barns. Chickens. Cowses! A diner every 50 miles LOL. Pick-your-own. Hayrides. Pick-up trucks. Tractors. Painted houses with wooden siding. Large Lots. Horses. Horse Trailers. Bales of Hay. Cornstalks. Muddy feet. Old people. Lots of very poor people and very affluent people.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Hmm. I see more bike riders in cities than suburbs. Depends on where, I guess.

The mall near where I live has a farm with cows next to it. How do you classify that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning