Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

Why doesn’t DC’s Commuter lines function more like the Metra system in Chicagoland? One of the biggest disappointments I have found since moving here is the very limited schedules of the Commuter Rail lines in the DC area.

The lines in the DC area are for commuters only while the lines in the Chicago area can be used throughout the day and on weekends to move around the city and metro.

Traffic is terrible in the DC area and metro rail only reaches so far. A more comprehensive commuter line system would complement the Metro and take more cars off the streets. I also think you would see more transit oriented development along the lines in DC like you do in Chicago and more interaction between DC and Baltimore.

I’m assuming it’s a money thing. But before moving to the area, I was used to Chicago’s Metra. I wasn’t expecting a handful of rush hour commuter trains that stay in the yards most of the day and on weekends.

There is not even regular MARC service between DC and Baltimore outside of weekday rush hour. You are forced to do the expensive and less user-friendly Amtrak trains. While The Metra line between Chicago and Milwaukee runs all day long and on weekends.

DC should have a more extensive, comprehensive and frequent regional rail system. A system that could be used by more than a handful of commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Well MARC and VRE plan to model the NJT / MNRR system which is peak service every 20mins and off peak every 30-45mins. Bi-Directional Service is also planned , along with Through service. Electrification of the Fredricksburg eventually Richmond line. Arlington is planning a network of streetcars and Light Rail corridors to bridge the gap in the Metro system in NOVA. Some Dense Corridors would get Enhanced Commuter Rail and a Light Rail line that would run along the dense Avenue. Maryland and NOVA seem to be trying to copy the NYC region of doing things.....and its working.

Planned VRE Expansions
Culpepper line
Haymarket line
Richmond line

Planned MARC expansions
Hagerstorm line
Annapolis line
La Plata line
Penn line extension to Wilmington
Ocean City via Dover line

Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well MARC and VRE plan to model the NJT / MNRR system which is peak service every 20mins and off peak every 30-45mins. Bi-Directional Service is also planned , along with Through service. Electrification of the Fredricksburg eventually Richmond line. Arlington is planning a network of streetcars and Light Rail corridors to bridge the gap in the Metro system in NOVA. Some Dense Corridors would get Enhanced Commuter Rail and a Light Rail line that would run along the dense Avenue. Maryland and NOVA seem to be trying to copy the NYC region of doing things.....and its working.

Planned VRE Expansions
Culpepper line
Haymarket line
Richmond line

Planned MARC expansions
Hagerstorm line
Annapolis line
La Plata line
I remember reading that the expansion plans for MARC and the VRE were extensive and would likely take a long time to happen (like all rail-based projects in the US). However, I wonder why there hasn't been at least a smaller/incremental roll-out of weekend service for the Penn Line. I know it requires allocation of funds in the budgetary process, but I would imagine if they ran 3 times a day to start, the trains would be pretty full (who wouldn't want to bounce between the two cities for sports, concerts, museums, food, theatre, etc. for $14 round-trip?). I wouldn't imagine that that type of change would require infrastructure modifications....

Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
DC's public transit model looks to me, a lot more like San Francisco (but DC is more effective). Neither DC or SF have real extensive commuter rail networks whereas Chicago does (Boston and NYC are two other cities with extensive CR networks).

DC's extensive metro system offsets this though (much like BART in SF). It's a very far reaching rapid transit system. Further than most cities' rapid transit. The extent of Metro in the DC area (same with BART in SF) combined with local bus an light rail means that the city can rely less on commuter rail lines.

There are, of course, ups and downs to this. Commuter Rail generally can extend further outside the city limits (due to the ease of diesel power and electrification closer to the city) while rapid transit heavy rail like Metro or BART is all electric which is difficult (expensive) to do for extremely long distances. Many would argue that commuter rail trains are more comfortable than rapid transit too. The downside is that rapid transit lines generally run more frequently and offer more convenient schedules. They also generally place commuters closer to workplaces and reduce transfers since commuter rail trains often stop at central rail stations where commuters have to transfer to local lines or walk. Rapid Transit often acts as heavy rail subway in the city centers.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Planned VRE Expansions
Culpepper line
Haymarket line
Richmond line

Planned MARC expansions
Hagerstorm line
Annapolis line
La Plata line
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to contribute.

VRE: The VRE extension to Haymarket will only happen if another pair of tracks is put into place. They're already working on one issue; having 29 fly over the tracks. I'd eventually like to see this line go all the way out to Front Royal. But like I said before, another pair of tracks will have be put in place, not to mention some curves would have be straightend out.

MARC: The Annapolis line, if ever built again, would be in a form of light rail. And I don't think the former line was railbanked either. The line going to La Plata, there is also talk of a spur line going to Mechanicsville and Lexington Park. And as for your Wilmington to Ocean City line via Dover, I heard that will probably be a seasonal Amtrak route.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
First of all, let me point out that the Chicago-Milwaukee train is run by Amtrak. I suppose that the DC trains haven't been running as long. Is it true that alcohol is prohibited on MARC and VRE? A lot of Metra riders grab a beer before riding home.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Because DC doesn't have an old extensive freight rail road network like Chicago has. They would have to lay tracks and acquire the right of way for DC to have more commuter lines. The DC metro really makes commuter rail in the suburbs useless. It runs every 3 minutes from 5:00am-9:30am and 3:00pm-7:00pm. It runs every 6 minutes off peak normally on weekdays. It's also way cheaper than commuter rail. In DC, you only take commuter rail if you absolutely have too. Metro is just so much more convenient and cheaper. Now that DC is building the 37 mile streetcar network, it's going to be even better. The purple line and Corridor Cites transit way will improve suburb to suburb travel also. I'm sure people living way out in Frederick County or Prince William County could use better commuter rail but everyone else uses Metro. The exurb counties will have to pay if they want better commuter rail.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
That reminds me; was the former Washington & Old Dominion Railroad ever railbanked?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
First of all, let me point out that the Chicago-Milwaukee train is run by Amtrak. I suppose that the DC trains haven't been running as long. Is it true that alcohol is prohibited on MARC and VRE? A lot of Metra riders grab a beer before riding home.
Alcohol is OK on MARC.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 AM

336 posts, read 768,904 times
4 of the 5 commuter rail lines that serve the Balt-Wash area have to share the tracks with freight trains, so that reduces the window which they can operate.

The penn line is the only one thats 100% passenger only and it could used weekend service badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning