Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

I have heard that if you put a Penguin on the tele, you are exempt from the TV tax.

YouTube - Monty Python- Penguin on the Television

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:06 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,359,658 times
Licence fee? What licence fee? I don't pay for one.

No, I'm not a TV licence dodger, I simply don't have a TV set in the house. With working shifts at a hospital I don't have time to sit down and watch and, anyway, I have books to read, music to listen to, my computer, and a camera to go out on walks with. Maybe I'll get a television when I retire from work, until then I won't miss not having one.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times
So you guys have cable and satellite like Americans? Does that mean you have to be the cable/satellite bill on top of the TV license fee?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
So you guys have cable and satellite like Americans? Does that mean you have to be the cable/satellite bill on top of the TV license fee?
Well I've been back in the Uk for almost 5 years and have never paid for a license. Sure I've had them knock on the door, even a few letters that I never open and not been taken to court or even arrested yet??????????????????

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM

183 posts, read 396,137 times
Quote:
That's correct. But you don't need cable or satellite it's purely an option to get more choice of channels.

If you don't take cable or satellite you get a selection of channels through the TV ariel or antenna. The amount of channels is currently increasing as the UK is switching from analogue to digital TV.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM

183 posts, read 396,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Well I've been back in the Uk for almost 5 years and have never paid for a license. Sure I've had them knock on the door, even a few letters that I never open and not been taken to court or even arrested yet??????????????????
Which is probably why the rest of us are now paying £139 for the privilege. To subsidise those that don't bother their backside to get one. It's a legal requirement if you have a TV.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,359,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I haven't had a television set in my house for well over 10 years yet I get 4 to 5 nasty letters about the penalties of not having a license every year.
Where does the money to fund the TV licensing department in Bristol come from? Out of the TV license fee? No wonder it's so high, you're not just paying for the privilege of funding the BBC, license payers are also funding the licensing department! That includes the cost of sending out television detector vans.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Does that mean you have to be the cable/satellite bill on top of the TV license fee?
Yep, which is exactly why comparing it to a cable fee as someone in a previous post suggested is not accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann
And you have a TV? If you don't have a TV, you don't gave to pay the fee. But if you do have a TV, you have to pay the fee. It can go on for years but eventually, it will catch up to you. I know someone who didn't pay it for a few years and while he did not go to jail, he was taken to court and fined.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 22,085 times
so basically the British people are paying to be brainwashed!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:42 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Quote:
No, not if you don't want it; I don't see why you'd need it at all.

There is also 'freeview' - Freeview - Home / Channels
(at least when I last lived there) - which was an additional 40 or so (??) free TV channels and a dozen or so radio stations, many of which were pretty good as I remember.

Sad to say I find the TV in the US unwatchable. Some of it may be OK but it's hard to find anything good amongst the 999 channels of garbage and constant, constant, constant brainless ads. There are just so many ad breaks, so often, it's ridiculous. A movie takes about 3 hours with all the ad breaks - and they advertise DURING the show with big banners across the screen - what is that about???? Therefore I spend far too much money renting DVDs - more $$s on top of my cable subscription.

Tho I do agree the BBC is run by an old-boy network, that aspect should change - but not the high quality, ad-free TV. Don't be so quick to diss it you Brits - you are very lucky to have such a thing, and you'd be sorry if you lost it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom