Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,770,411 times

Advertisements

The credits are rolling in Britain for the time-honoured cinematic tradition of munching popcorn at the movies -- a newspaper reported Sunday that increasing numbers of cinemas are banning it.

A combination of health-conscious cinemagoers rejecting sugar-coated popcorn and disgust at its distinctive smell is steadily spelling "The End" for the snack in some arthouse cinema chains, the Observer reported.

'The End' for popcorn in British cinemas: report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:07 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,328,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The credits are rolling in Britain for the time-honoured cinematic tradition of munching popcorn at the movies -- a newspaper reported Sunday that increasing numbers of cinemas are banning it.

A combination of health-conscious cinemagoers rejecting sugar-coated popcorn and disgust at its distinctive smell is steadily spelling "The End" for the snack in some arthouse cinema chains, the Observer reported.

'The End' for popcorn in British cinemas: report
When I go to the cinema ( rarely do) I'm not thinking about calories of cholestrol same as when I'm diving into some BBQ ribs, potato salad. I'm thinking about the next plate.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 PM

318 posts, read 935,838 times
They should ban it just for the price Cinemas charge I always take my own food its much cheaper.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,920,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
They should ban it just for the price Cinemas charge I always take my own food its much cheaper.
OK, that begs the question. What would one usually pay for a large bucket of unflavored and unsweetened buttered popcorn in the UK? Here we pay $5.50 USD and that comes with one free refill [so we bring in an empty bag]. Today that converts to ÂŁ2.83 GBP or thereabouts, I believe.

Cheers

Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,508,013 times
I happen to love popcorn...the taste, the smell, the crunch. But what I object to while sitting in the cinema is the smell of another's bad body odor, booze-laden breath (yes, fellow Americans, many British cinemas have bars in them, real nice for the kiddie's, eh?), disgusting farts, bad breath and stinky perfume that has been poured on to cover an unwashed body and dirty underwear.

So, can I at least have my popcorn so I can keep my nose in the bucket to avoid the truly horrible and offensive smells

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-15-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: leave out the racial component

Old 08-15-2008, 02:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,920,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
disgusting farts, bad breath and stinky perfume that has been poured on to cover an unwashed body and dirty underwear.
Thought it was just the continental blokes who eschewed personal hygiene, not the dominion types. Forgot the Euros have taken over more and more aspects of UK life as well. Condolences.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-15-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom