Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 106,082 times

Advertisements

Need Your Advice Please...

I was wondering how easy it would be to get working visa to work in England?
Which would be the best Visa for me to get to be able to work & live in England?

My grandparents are from England, although I'm Canadian with a professional background in Human Resources in Healthcare Industry. My dad is sick while vacation in England, looks like he will be there for a while. I want to go out there to help him and live & work in England while I'm there and I may move there permanently.

Thanks for Your Assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,351 times
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he gets better quickly.
I think you need professional advice TBH. As you could come in on a tourist visa but I gather it can be hard to switch to a working one. A work visa could take quite a while to process. Maybe you could find a job that will sponsor you.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 140,441 times
If one of your parents or two of your grandparents are/were citizens of the UK, you may be able to declare British citizenship. I dont know British law in this regard, but many countries offer a similar thing.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 106,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSpies View Post
If one of your parents or two of your grandparents are/were citizens of the UK, you may be able to declare British citizenship. I dont know British law in this regard, but many countries offer a similar thing.
I just heard of a Ancestory Visa? Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to get? How long it takes? Where to go to apply for one? Roughly how much it costs?

Thanks again I appreciate the advice.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,351 times
Try UK Ancestry (INF 9)

Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 14,413 times
I have a question about this ancestry visa. On the website linked, it says if you grandparents were born in the UK you are eligable, but says nothing about you parents. My mother was born in the UK, but my grandparents weren't. Does that not count? I cant seem to find any real info on this.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 128,962 times
I don't know if UK has different work permit regulations for Canadian citizens/British ancestry as compared to other work-permit requiring countries (Like Asian countries/South America), but the way it works is this:

1. Your future employer applies for a work permit for you, and this typically takes about 4 weeks from the time of application (unless you are an unusual applicant requiring substantial verification)

2. Once you have the work permit in hand, you apply for what is called a "Entry clearance" visa. This takes anywhere from a couple of days (3-4) to couple of weeks

Once you have this, you're good to go. Some people prefer to use the HSMP/Tier 1 system which takes a whole lot longer to get, but the advantage is that you can switch employers, which you cannot do with a work permit.

HTH

Old 08-10-2008, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 27,756 times
Default Similar question...slightly different situation

Hello. I too am a Canadian (and American but I think I'll need to use my Canadian status) that is considering moving to the UK. I'm in the theatre biz and several folks over here have advised me to try out the scene in London. The challenge is that the way this industry works-I would need to move here first before having a theatre job (have to be here to audition) but I don't want to audition unless I can work here. I have heard that if you get company to sponsor you you can work? I have "day work" here if I want but how hard would it be for them to get a visa for me? (I'm a Pilates Instructor) and even if they did-would I be able to work in theatre or only at the one Pilates studio? Sorry for so many questions-it's a complicated situation I know!
Thank-you everyone!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,708 times
check this out!

If you're a Canadian, you do not need a work permit, since Canada is part of the commonwealth.

Working in England (http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0501/working_in_the_uk.shtml - broken link)

"Who Does Not Need a Work Permit?

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals.
Citizens of Switzerland.
British Overseas Territories Citizens except those from Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus.
Commonwealth citizens who were allowed to enter or to remain in the U.K. on the basis that a grandparent was born here.
Spouses, unmarried partners, and dependant children under 18 of people who hold work permits or who qualify under any of the above categories or those listed below as long as the endorsement in their passport places no restriction on their employment here.
Those who do not have any conditions attached to their stay in the U.K."

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,543 times
Im a Canadian citizen and planning to move in England to work in the company of my girlfriend,the question is do i need to apply a working permit here in canada or in England? Can you please help me what first step should i do.Thanks,and appriciate your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom