Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,098 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

Moving soon, and recently graduate, looking for some people from Birmingham, wolverhampton, a bit everywhere around those town!

I live in another country at the moment, and well, i love Birmingham. that's why i really want to move there

I'm currently looking for a job (like lots of people, i know and well, i was wondering if you had any tips or advices for me? as a newbie there!

Looking abviously for a room to rent, so yes, i'm just looking forward to hear from you all and just really to meet some people around !

Cheers everyone !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 PM

14 posts, read 20,167 times
You love Birmingham? I'm born and bred there but I would never go that far. I'm in Manchester at the moment studying at uni and go back every few weeks. I'm guessing you graduated at one of Birmingham's universities?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM

Yes i do ! i love west midlands!
I had a friend who lived there, but i'm not english (i wish!!!!!) just graduated in Communication, but i'm in France, sooo to move there is pretty tough. Because to find a room, a job, honnestly, i have no luck with online applications for some reasons i don't know :/

Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,672 times
I've passed through Birmingham a couple of times. I just remember it being very grimy and industrial.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM

14 posts, read 20,167 times
Did you pass through an industrial estate? They often are.

Birmingham is setting it self apart with some really garish, controversial architecture, it can't be plastered with the phrase concrete jungle anymore, at least not as confidently as before 2003. I've walked most of the city centre streets, unintentionally more often than not, and I can't recall anything overly dirty. The border up to Sandwell, that can be a bit hit and miss but everywhere else is fine. You'll get the usual sea of terraced houses as you leave town but that's expected, the renovation of New Street, the renovation of Mailbox, the extension of the Metro to Broad Street, building of the reborn Curzon Street...... it's just getting good.

Jobs? Unlikely unless you're till trained.....

Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 PM

I had amazing times there! Coventry is amazing! Solihull aswell

Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,765 times
I was born in Birmingham. You cant compare it to London - very few cities come up to that level, none in England.
Manchester is totally different, but I would not live there rains worse than anywhere, colder than the Midlands too.
Live in Harborne, Edgbaston, the sutton coldfield areas of Four Oaks, Mere Green, Wylde Green, also look at Solihull (not really b'ham). There are some very poor areas, all all big cities have. A lot of it is industrial, like many large cities, but they have more urban parks than any other city and Sutton Park is the largest urban park in Europe. Lots of culture in the city centre which is very small. Great ethnic restaurants, surrounded by some of the most accessible and lovely countryside. Good connections by road/rail/air
As for finding a room/job, dont know what you do, but its not easy to find a job online. Unless you have some good work experience or qualifications, you may end up struggling to survive. Wish you luck.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 AM

hmmmm all those replies are not so encouraging though :/

but thank you all for replying ! i'll keep trying anyway, because i need to move there anyway for personal reasons.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 9,135 times
Coming from a local: stay away!

The Mailbox is great for bars and the Bullring is a good shopping destination, but the people and everything else are terrible.

Hipsters dressed up stupidly in the city centre, beggars, gangs, chavs in tracksuits drinking in the streets and horrible accents!

Watch Benefits Street and you will realise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom