Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,249,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I didn't believe it until I actually came here (same town as you) and the anti-social behavior is pretty bad, particularly at night when school is not in session and Friday and Saturday nights

You're in Windsor? It's a great little town! I do miss the Two Brewers, The King & Castle, and the Tiger Garden in Eton. I lived on Sheet Street and whilst I loved the area (and being close to the Long Walk) it was pretty unaffordable for me long term. Like you say, there was a certain amount of anti-social behavior mainly at the weekends. I actually called the police a few times (sounding old now!) because of violent fights outside my place. I saw a guy beating his girlfriend once, the soldiers in brawls and one time the soldier at the entrance to the barracks actually came out and waved his rifle at some guys fighting in the street!

It was mostly a great place though and I often thought if I had some serious cash I might have stayed.. But then for the same amount I could live in Hawaii!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM

65 posts, read 258,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetik View Post
I lived in London for 7 years and left UK in 2002. Based on what I see here in the US I would say it is much more safer and better place to raise children then in the US, specially when it's comes to education.
So, I definitely think you made a right decision. Congrats to both of you for your future !!! MAY LOVE BE WITH YOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER. AMEN
awww thank you

Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM

317 posts, read 413,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
First off I want to say my future husband is British and I'm American. We have decided that we are going to live in England when we finally tie the knot. (will work on getting a visa when we are engaged) I am curious to know if England is a better place to raise youngsters then America? To be honest I am scared to raise my children in America. Right now we are thinking about living in Dorking, Surrey near his sisters

Let me just add that I am really excited because my great great great great grandparents came from England. My Heritage is about 70% British so I am technically going home I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit your BEAUTIFUL country soon.
As with anything, your experience will vary by location. There are places in America with great schools and quality of life, and there are hellholes. The same holds for the UK. Fortunately for you, Dorking - in spite of the name - is a pretty good location.

If I were you, I would hope for the best but make sure you build up a nestegg to send your kids to public school. I've had personal experiences with state schools in Britain that would make Lord of the Flies look like a parents' night.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,551,648 times
I know a woman who was an elementary school teacher in Monterey, California. She married an English guy and moved to Chesterfield (where he was from). After taking the necessary courses to teach in the UK she got a job there with the younger grades. She said that while she enjoys it, the kids are generally unrulier and ruder than the kids in Monterey were. Things like that are anecdotal and you can't base anything on one person's experiences. You'll probably have to spend a decent amount of time in your fiance's hometown to decide for yourself. Check out the hard information and statistics, but trust your gut too. Pick your future husband's brain - he's lived in both places and should have a pretty good take on which would be better.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM

317 posts, read 413,416 times
jeffredo hits an important point. Anecdotal evidence is nothing to go on. To that I'd add that personal stereotypes are nothing to go on either.

In spite of the somewhat educated stereotype associated most British accents, the average Brit is no better educated (and frequently much worse educated) than the average American. The original poster certainly already knows this. Nonetheless, the worst British state schools would easily compare to the worst American state (public) schools, whereas even the best British state schools would not measure up to the best American state (public) schools.

In fact, many Americans lucky enough to live in a good zip code get an education with their taxpayer-funded school that some Brits pay tens of thousands of pounds to secure for their children.

And I do agree, British schoolchildren are on average less well behaved than American schoolchildren.

Your mileage of course will vary.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM

692 posts, read 1,356,894 times
Britain has some very good state schools (amongst the best in the world) many of which out preform the independent sector.

BBC News - Secondary league tables 2011: Best GCSE results

State Grammer Schools, Faith Schools (mainly Catholic) do particuarly well, although there are also some very good ordinary state comprehensice schools as well.

A green light for more grammar schools? - Telegraph

Top comprehensives 'more exclusive than grammar schools' - Telegraph

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-27-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,295,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
jeffredo hits an important point. Anecdotal evidence is nothing to go on. To that I'd add that personal stereotypes are nothing to go on either.

In spite of the somewhat educated stereotype associated most British accents, the average Brit is no better educated (and frequently much worse educated) than the average American. The original poster certainly already knows this. Nonetheless, the worst British state schools would easily compare to the worst American state (public) schools, whereas even the best British state schools would not measure up to the best American state (public) schools.

In fact, many Americans lucky enough to live in a good zip code get an education with their taxpayer-funded school that some Brits pay tens of thousands of pounds to secure for their children.

And I do agree, British schoolchildren are on average less well behaved than American schoolchildren.

What are you basing this on?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,249,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post

I couldn't agree more with your post. In Las Vegas, public schools are not good but in my wife's hometown they have a fantastic school system. It's well funded, they have first class sports facilities, music programs (you can actually watch the school band performances on local TV stations), an observatory and an Internet station/library that was probably better than my university!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 AM

692 posts, read 1,356,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
awww thank you
There's are Different Types of State Schools listed here Southerngirl

Types of school : Directgov - Parents

As well as a good School Guide

BBC News - Good Schools Guide recommends many state schools

The Good Schools Guide to choosing a school. Which school? Independent, state, public, private, prep, junior, senior, primary, special, private and public schools and educational and SEN | The Good Schools Guide

All the best and I hope you find a lovely school in Dorking in Surrey, which is a lovely area.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-28-2012 at 04:17 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,276,448 times
deinitely NOT.
If you're rich then it doesnt matter where u live in the world. but overall if i ha the choice to raise my children in UK vs USA i would definitely do it in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom