Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM

692 posts, read 1,359,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
deinitely NOT.
If you're rich then it doesnt matter where u live in the world. but overall if i ha the choice to raise my children in UK vs USA i would definitely do it in America
There are some very good state schools in the UK including academies, city technology colleges, grammer schools, faith schools, foundation trust schools, community schools, voluntary aided schools etc

Types of school : Directgov - Parents

The UK is one of the safest countries in the world, and has very good schools and universities.

BBC News - Good Schools Guide recommends many state schools

The Good Schools Guide to choosing a school. Which school? Independent, state, public, private, prep, junior, senior, primary, special, private and public schools and educational and SEN | The Good Schools Guide

Russell Group: Our Universities

BBC News - Four universities join elite Russell Group

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-28-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,288,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
There are some very good state schools in the UK including academies, city technology colleges, grammer schools, faith schools, foundation trust schools, community schools, voluntary aided schools etc

Types of school : Directgov - Parents

The UK is one of the safest countries in the world, and has very good schools and universities.

BBC News - Good Schools Guide recommends many state schools

The Good Schools Guide to choosing a school. Which school? Independent, state, public, private, prep, junior, senior, primary, special, private and public schools and educational and SEN | The Good Schools Guide

Russell Group: Our Universities

BBC News - Four universities join elite Russell Group

I live in UK and I went to school here so i just said what i think and what I experienced... as for safety, too many chavs in this country.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

692 posts, read 1,359,467 times
Quote:
I live in UK and I went to school here so i just said what i think and what I experienced... as for safety, too many chavs in this country.
Most countries have poor people if you want to label them chavs or whateer they are merely the underclass or working class poor evident in most countries across the world, and Britain is not unique in having such a class of people. If you look at US citiies such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Detroit, Pittsbrugh, Cleveland etc you will see a similsr underclass and a lot more murders and gun crime than in the UK.

The UK is a relatively safe county and has a decent education system.

By the way I was also educated in the UK.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-28-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,422,725 times
Quote:
Most countries have poor people if you want to label them chavs or whateer they are merely the underclass or working class poor evident in most countries across the world, and Britain is not unique in having such a class of people. If you look at US citiies such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Detroit, Pittsbrugh, Cleveland etc you will see a similsr underclass and a lot more murders and gun crime than in the UK.

I agree. The thing with the UK and elsewhere in Europe is that the poor are not out of sight & mind like they are in certain other countries, where they are confined to murder/crime ridden inner cities, while the middle & upper classes live sheltered existences far away in the suburbs.

The UK is safe. Not only that but the roads are among the safest in the world and have extremely low fatality rates.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:46 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,261,131 times
Quote:

Thats true - about murder and gun crime that is. The gun culture and 'conceal carry' laws here are crazy. But, those cities are isolated whereas crime in the UK is everywhere. I've never ever been afraid for my safety in the US or experienced anything around guns. The UK is far worse per capita for things like assault, rape and robbery. That is my experience having lived in London, and Windsor compared to Las Vegas, and Chicago (2 areas that are probably statistically worse).

Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM

16,771 posts, read 17,538,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Thats true - about murder and gun crime that is. The gun culture and 'conceal carry' laws here are crazy. But, those cities are isolated whereas crime in the UK is everywhere. I've never ever been afraid for my safety in the US or experienced anything around guns. The UK is far worse per capita for things like assault, rape and robbery. That is my experience having lived in London, and Windsor compared to Las Vegas, and Chicago (2 areas that are probably statistically worse).
I agree. I never had any issues in NY, LA, Texas or anywhere else I worked or lived.

However I've had run ins with chavs in idyllic towns here in England.

I remember coming back to the UK for Christmas one year and what really struck me was the level of swearing that is tolerated in the street.

The level of low level anti social behaviour here is far worse than anything I have witnessed in the US.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,935,526 times
Australian cities are the same the language is bad from the young. Last week there was at least six shootings in Sydney. Most Aussies send their kids to private schools.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 AM

355 posts, read 1,193,705 times
Quote:

I studied and lived both in England and the US, and I agree with you.

I studied at a Southern University in the US and I know the frame of mind of the OP. I personally think she will end up hating the place

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,364,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I agree. I never had any issues in NY, LA, Texas or anywhere else I worked or lived.

However I've had run ins with chavs in idyllic towns here in England.

I remember coming back to the UK for Christmas one year and what really struck me was the level of swearing that is tolerated in the street.

The level of low level anti social behaviour here is far worse than anything I have witnessed in the US.
you dont have to be within earshot of street kids in the uk to witness swearing , using profanity is not a taboo in the uk or ireland like it is in wholesome middle america , people from the middle and professional classes swear all the time in this part of the world , anyone who plays sport will be pretty immune to a tirade of swearing , its a key part of a managers ( coach ) routine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom