Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM

65 posts, read 258,298 times

Advertisements

First off I want to say my future husband is British and I'm American. We have decided that we are going to live in England when we finally tie the knot. (will work on getting a visa when we are engaged) I am curious to know if England is a better place to raise youngsters then America? To be honest I am scared to raise my children in America. Right now we are thinking about living in Dorking, Surrey near his sisters

Let me just add that I am really excited because my great great great great grandparents came from England. My Heritage is about 70% British so I am technically going home I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit your BEAUTIFUL country soon.

Last edited by Southerngirl1989; 04-25-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM

46 posts, read 102,452 times
I lived in London for 7 years and left UK in 2002. Based on what I see here in the US I would say it is much more safer and better place to raise children then in the US, specially when it's comes to education.
So, I definitely think you made a right decision. Congrats to both of you for your future !!! MAY LOVE BE WITH YOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER. AMEN

Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,091 times
There are good and bad places in both countries so it depends what you are comparing with what. Here's some info on Dorking Dorking Schools | Primary, Junior, Secondary Schools & Sixth Forms in Dorking | UpMyStreet

Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,886 times
There isn't a 'better' place - its all personal preference. Like Bob stated, it also depends on areas and standards of schools in both countries. My wife didn't want to raise our child in the UK so we left for the US, but that's just us. Good luck and enjoy wherever you go!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Really depends on where you are, just like in the US. Look into Offsted and see what the school reports are like. they are the government agency that regulates compulsory education and does periodic inspections of all schools

Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,878 times
I don't beleive one is inherantly better than another, though I've never raised a child in the US. I'd say things like family background and school are far more important than what country you live in.

Don't take too much notice of reports like this: but I think every country has periodic outbursts of worry about how it is raising its young.

Britain 'one of worst places to raise children' - Telegraph

Don't know Dorking, but I think it's a nice, leafy, affluent town, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,291,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
There isn't a 'better' place - its all personal preference. Like Bob stated, it also depends on areas and standards of schools in both countries. My wife didn't want to raise our child in the UK so we left for the US, but that's just us. Good luck and enjoy wherever you go!
Are you sure you made a wise choice? Where you are rates as one of the worst cities in the USA to raise a child.
Education, crime problems give Las Vegas a bad rap - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Are you sure you made a wise choice? Where you are rates as one of the worst cities in the USA to raise a child.
He could be living in one of the more upscale suburbs (and, thus, school districts) of L.V., not necessarily in the city borders

Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post

Thank you for your concern. I'm positive.

Las Vegas has a lead weight around its ankles when it comes to those sort of ratings - education. There is no personal income tax or corporate tax in Nevada, and property taxes are very low by US standards. This leaves public schools underfunded which has worsened since the property collapse in 2008. However, most people can put their children into private schools with the income they save in taxes. The people I work with that were born and raised here had a childhood like anywhere else in the States and seem well rounded. There are tons of parks and recreation areas, swimming pools are the norm, there are cultural centers now being built and some have opened, and there are a lot more classes and groups for kids here than I saw at home. A water park is being built a few miles from where I live and California is a short drive away. People are outside here a lot (until July/August when everyone wants to be inside!) as there are great hikking trails, canyons, mountains.. You can even ski at Mt Charelston in the winter.

I lived in one of the more desirable areas of the UK and yet the cost of living, the chav culture, the standards of education, healthcare, the affirdinility of a family home, university education, the climate where all things in deterioration and put me off wanting to stay for the future. My brother had a great job and lives in Guildford, Surrey but is moving with his wife and 3 kids to Melbourne in June for the reason that he doesn't want his kids growing up there.

Last edited by Mag3.14; 04-26-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Thank you for your concern. I'm positive.

Las Vegas has a lead weight around its ankles when it comes to those sort of ratings - education. There is no personal income tax or corporate tax in Nevada, and property taxes are very low by US standards. This leaves public schools underfunded which has worsened since the property collapse in 2008. However, most people can put their children into private schools with the income they save in taxes. The people I work with that were born and raised here had a childhood like anywhere else in the States and seem well rounded. There are tons of parks and recreation areas, swimming pools are the norm, there are cultural centers now being built and some have opened, and there are a lot more classes and groups for kids here than I saw at home. A water park is being built a few miles from where I live and California is a short drive away. People are outside here a lot (until July/August when everyone wants to be inside!) as there are great hikking trails, canyons, mountains.. You can even ski at Mt Charelston in the winter.

I lived in one of the more desirable areas of the UK and yet the cost of living, the chav culture, the standards of education, healthcare, the affirdinility of a family home, university education, the climate where all things in deterioration and put me off wanting to stay for the future. My brother had a great job and lives in Guildford, Surrey but is moving with his wife and 3 kids to Melbourne in June for the reason that he doesn't want his kids growing up there.
I didn't believe it until I actually came here (same town as you) and the anti-social behavior is pretty bad, particularly at night when school is not in session and Friday and Saturday nights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom