Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else has ever lived in a haunted house or apartment. We did and had some strange experiences. If you also have had strange things happen - tell us about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Cant say that I ever did in the sense that I was aware of it, but when we lived in Ontario, right around the corner from the cemetary, my kids have all 'seen' some dark figure of a woman, with a black dress, from time to time in our house. Neighbours have all talked about things that have moved or been moved, or even supposed figures of 'somethings' in their houses. One neighbour mentioned he heard splashing in his pool late one night, he went out there thinking it may have been an animal but there were no footprints of any kind on the concrete around the pool, yet the water was all ripply like something had just been swimming around in it. His back yard faced the cemetary. And Im not really sure if his story was for real or if he was just joshing me.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 AM

We rented an old farmhouse when we first relocated. The original part of the house was built in the late 1700s, with an "addition" in 1820. Our landlord was upfront about the place having "guests."

The second night we were there, a light upstairs was turned on (it had one of those chain pull thingies, not a light switch). Hubby went up, turned it off, came back downstairs. A little while later he walked past the stairway again and the light was on - he jiggled the chain, nothing was loose, bulb was in securely, turned the light off again. A little while later, again the light was on - he went up, turned it off and said, "Okay, I don't know who you are, but you certainly don't need the light on and we pay the electric and don't want it on, so please leave it alone." Light never came on again, unless we turned it on.

About a month after we were there, we had a window open with a nice breeze coming through. The window was an old one, the kind where you had to pull out a "stop" to open or close it, didn't just slide up or down. The window slowly closed itself...what the heck? We opened it, made sure it was securely open....closed itself again. Hubby again said, "Okay, again, I don't know who you are, but we like the breeze and would like the window open right now, we'll close it when we want to."....Never happened again.

One night at 3 a.m. we were sound asleep. We have a cat and a dog. All of a sudden, the cat started freaking out, running around in circles, up on the bed, across us, back on the floor....the dog was in a crate at the time and she started going nuts (she was always very quiet in her crate, even if that cat acted looney)....Next thing we knew, we heard sounds coming from upstairs, either like someone performing River Dance with all the foot stomping, or some kind of a fight - it was LOUD! Hubby and I both yelled out, "Cut it out, we're trying to sleep!" A couple of more stomps, then quiet. The dog and cat both settled down.

After that night, we would periodically hear footsteps overhead, or what sounded like furniture being moved, but nothing major. The cat stayed in a back bedroom the whole time we rented the house, wouldn't leave the room! The dog would go anywhere, but when she got to a certain room, her hair on her neck would stand up and she'd growl, even though we couldn't see anything.

I was in the house alone one day and I heard a door open and someone call out, "Hello!" The doors were locked and I couldn't figure out how anyone got in, but went to where I heard the voice - nobody there. Went to the door, it was still locked, it had rained, no footprints anywhere....Must have been another one of the "guests."

We later found out the house had been used as a stagecoach stop way back when....we often wonder what went on in that place in years gone by......There was also a rumor that someone had been killed in the house years ago and the body dumped in the well, but we never saw or heard or felt anything in that area when we were outside. On Halloween, nobody would come to the house because they were afraid of it!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Never lived in one. We saw a lady in a park every time we went by it in New York City dressed in black, just standing there staring into the sky. But then we realized that she's just a typical New Yorker, not a ghost.

We supposedly live down the street from a haunted cemetery dating back to the 1700s. Never have I seen anything out of the ordinary. But I will say the layer of fog on the ground at night does add some creepy feel to it.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
wow, what a story! I have to give you a lot of credit though, after the second night, I'd be out of there.......http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/wandergiffot6bwkn8450yz9.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
We rented an old farmhouse when we first relocated. The original part of the house was built in the late 1700s, with an "addition" in 1820. Our landlord was upfront about the place having "guests."

The second night we were there, a light upstairs was turned on (it had one of those chain pull thingies, not a light switch). Hubby went up, turned it off, came back downstairs. A little while later he walked past the stairway again and the light was on - he jiggled the chain, nothing was loose, bulb was in securely, turned the light off again. A little while later, again the light was on - he went up, turned it off and said, "Okay, I don't know who you are, but you certainly don't need the light on and we pay the electric and don't want it on, so please leave it alone." Light never came on again, unless we turned it on.

About a month after we were there, we had a window open with a nice breeze coming through. The window was an old one, the kind where you had to pull out a "stop" to open or close it, didn't just slide up or down. The window slowly closed itself...what the heck? We opened it, made sure it was securely open....closed itself again. Hubby again said, "Okay, again, I don't know who you are, but we like the breeze and would like the window open right now, we'll close it when we want to."....Never happened again.

One night at 3 a.m. we were sound asleep. We have a cat and a dog. All of a sudden, the cat started freaking out, running around in circles, up on the bed, across us, back on the floor....the dog was in a crate at the time and she started going nuts (she was always very quiet in her crate, even if that cat acted looney)....Next thing we knew, we heard sounds coming from upstairs, either like someone performing River Dance with all the foot stomping, or some kind of a fight - it was LOUD! Hubby and I both yelled out, "Cut it out, we're trying to sleep!" A couple of more stomps, then quiet. The dog and cat both settled down.

After that night, we would periodically hear footsteps overhead, or what sounded like furniture being moved, but nothing major. The cat stayed in a back bedroom the whole time we rented the house, wouldn't leave the room! The dog would go anywhere, but when she got to a certain room, her hair on her neck would stand up and she'd growl, even though we couldn't see anything.

I was in the house alone one day and I heard a door open and someone call out, "Hello!" The doors were locked and I couldn't figure out how anyone got in, but went to where I heard the voice - nobody there. Went to the door, it was still locked, it had rained, no footprints anywhere....Must have been another one of the "guests."

We later found out the house had been used as a stagecoach stop way back when....we often wonder what went on in that place in years gone by......There was also a rumor that someone had been killed in the house years ago and the body dumped in the well, but we never saw or heard or felt anything in that area when we were outside. On Halloween, nobody would come to the house because they were afraid of it!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Yeah, DareToDream, that was quite a story. You have me sitting in an uncomfortable position so I can see the entire room! I'll have nightmares for a year, thanks.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Jeannie - Had we had really nasty experiences, i.e. "mean" type things like you see in the movies with meat cleavers flying through the air, etc. we definitely would have left. Whomever/whatever our "guests" were, they were not nasty, just noisy! <g>

My father-in-law had heard our stories and thought we were kidding, didn't believe us, etc....Until he came to visit - he saw the dog go toward the one room, growl and her hair stand up - THEN he was convinced - he didn't believe us, but he believed our dog!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, DareToDream, that was quite a story. You have me sitting in an uncomfortable position so I can see the entire room! I'll have nightmares for a year, thanks.
You're welcome! <g> I never heard stories about Scarsdale when I lived in NY, so I think you are probably safe....Although I was in a different area....There, we had a bridge and at times you could hear a fiddler playing around midnight....Many people heard it, but no one ever saw the player that I know of.

Thankfully, I'm not easily scared by paranormal things - unless it's nasty paranormal things like Amityville

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
I see what you mean. Kind of reminds me of the Casper movie, if you happened to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Jeannie - Had we had really nasty experiences, i.e. "mean" type things like you see in the movies with meat cleavers flying through the air, etc. we definitely would have left. Whomever/whatever our "guests" were, they were not nasty, just noisy! <g>

My father-in-law had heard our stories and thought we were kidding, didn't believe us, etc....Until he came to visit - he saw the dog go toward the one room, growl and her hair stand up - THEN he was convinced - he didn't believe us, but he believed our dog!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

I didn't see the movie, but used to watch the Casper The Friendly Ghost on TV .... guess that tells you how old I am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal