Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 22,912 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I had to quit my full time job in mid-March due to the massive flood that came through northern NJ and destroyed my home. 2 weeks later, another flood came as well. On April 2, Obama made our zone a disaster zone and basically it opened up funds one of which was being able to collect unemployment if you had to quit your job because of a disaster. I applied on the 8th, got all these forms the following week, and one said to claim my benefits on the 21st. I assumed getting all those forms meant I was eligible for unemployment. I called today, answered all the questions, and at the end all it said was "Claim not payable at this time, you have been given credit for the weeks claimed" or something along those lines.

I'm just worried, I can't find a job like my old one - my home is a complete and utter mess, our insurance company is being completely ignorant and the bills are piling up.

Any help would be appreciate. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,665,565 times
Contact your congressman and state rep. Find their web pages and look for a link to something called "constituent services."
Both state and federal representatives have large staffs that help voters sort through government red tape. They can get action faster than anyone else. You should be able to e-mail them. Send as much information as possible and see if you have to sign any kind of privacy release so they can investigate.
It's good and it's free. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 PM

53 posts, read 141,374 times
Can you tell me where you found the info. about "Obama made our zone a disaster zone and basically it opened up funds one of which was being able to collect unemployment if you had to quit your job because of a disaster."

I tried searching Google, but haven't found anything to that effect.

Your best bet would be to go down to your local unemployment office and have them explain what they mean by "Claim not payable at this time, you have been given credit for the weeks claimed" to get a straight answer. The other option is to call, but that can be a real hassle. It is better to just go in person. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,319 times
Nearly $5 Million Approved For New Jersey Flood Survivors | njtoday.net – Everything New Jersey

These include unemployment benefits for those whose employment was directly effected by the flooding & are not otherwise eligible for unemployment

Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 AM

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/aftrfile/dua.html

That should pretty much clear up any confusion. I filed online, maybe they think this is normal unemployment instead of this DUA version? I guess I'll have to call and hope someone answers to see whats up, guess i'm waking up at 7AM,

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZz View Post
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)

That should pretty much clear up any confusion. I filed online, maybe they think this is normal unemployment instead of this DUA version? I guess I'll have to call and hope someone answers to see whats up, guess i'm waking up at 7AM,
Thank for the info. I know someone this will help a lot.

If you can't get someone on the line just go to your local office. They probably don't realize you filed under the DUA thing.

Best of luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM

I called right at 7AM and got someone instantly! I asked what the problem was. She said I have some sort of appointment via phone call on April 29th regarding eligibility and that my claim does indeed have that it was disaster related. Is this normal procedure? What should I expect on this call?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,107 times
Sounds like more beauracratic Red Tape BS to me... Don't stand for it... get down to your local office right away and demand action NOW. Explain to them the situation and also call your local State rep's office. Yes it's alot of work but the more doors you knock on and the more you stir things up someone is bound to help quicker.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZz View Post
I called right at 7AM and got someone instantly! I asked what the problem was. She said I have some sort of appointment via phone call on April 29th regarding eligibility and that my claim does indeed have that it was disaster related. Is this normal procedure? What should I expect on this call?
It sounds like normal procedure for special circumstances like this. There are probably a lot of people filing saying they lost their job because of the flooding. Just be prepared with all the dates, facts and be totally honest. The interviewer will determine if your story sounds credible and they just want to confirm things. I wouldn't worry too much unless you have reason to think your former employer is giving a totally different story. Just stick to the facts and what happened to you. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Did the call, lady was arrogant and pushy. Told me a check would get processed or I'd hear something within a week and could appeal if I wanted to. If I am going to appeal to continue filing claims for back pay. Then she asked me all the claims questions again. I just assume I'm not getting it. Anybody know what they say if they approve it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment