Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what would happen to my unemployment if I got a job offer, but the job did not start right away?

At first I was thinking that since I would not be looking for work anymore, I would not be eligible anymore. However, there are people who receive unemployment due to seasonal work, which seems like a similar type of situation, so possibly I would still be eligible?

I live in Massachusetts and I am trying to figure this out just in case (on my second interview for a position where the person in the position may not leave right away).

Any information appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Does anybody know what would happen to my unemployment if I got a job offer, but the job did not start right away?

At first I was thinking that since I would not be looking for work anymore, I would not be eligible anymore. However, there are people who receive unemployment due to seasonal work, which seems like a similar type of situation, so possibly I would still be eligible?

I live in Massachusetts and I am trying to figure this out just in case (on my second interview for a position where the person in the position may not leave right away).

Any information appreciated. Thanks!
If I were you I would continue to look for work and file weekly claims until I started working, Other people on this board have posted odd things about job offers that somehow just never became reality.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If I were you I would continue to look for work and file weekly claims until I started working, Other people on this board have posted odd things about job offers that somehow just never became reality.
I did not even think of that

You are right, and that is exactly what I will need to do (if it happens!).

Thank you!

Last edited by Reneeme; 03-03-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I have been offered several jobs in my city that did not materialize. Do not stop your search. I know there are some that have posted here that they took a job and started and got laid off pretty quick, so don't give up your search. As long as you are not pulling a paycheck you should continue to be eligible for UE.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Yes do not stop your job search until you sign that W-2 form.

If you receive an offer and they want you to start in two weeks, or the start of the next month, or something like that, and you want to continue receiving benefits during the interim, do what you have to to meet the filing requirements.

I think every state has slightly different wording but my state says:

--You must be available for work. Easy enough, just don't be doing something else during your regular shift, like tanning on the beach.
--You must make at least two job 'contacts' per week. Contacts doesn't necessarily mean applications. You might attend a job-search related seminar or a networking event or send follow-up letters to previous interviewers or something like that.
--You must make a continuing effort using customary methods for your industry. Again, easy. Most job searches are computer-based. You could upload your resume to a job board or skim the listings during those weeks.

Even if it is just for show, if you really need those unemployment checks, it isn't too much of a burden to go through the motions.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
--You must make at least two job 'contacts' per week.
Wow, here in TX they require 6 per week. Well it went from 6, to 3, back to 6, and now I think they just changed it to 5. I can't even find that many jobs in my field to apply for most weeks. Most weeks I'm lucky if I see one.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 AM

154 posts, read 535,378 times
I wanted to add another thought to this discussion. One of the questions I always ask now during an interview is whether the job they are interviewing for is a new position or whether they are filling a vacant position because someone left. The reason I ask this is because I have been burnt twice in my career (recently) because the "new"position didn't have enough work to sustain my salary and so I was let go. Especially now in this up and down economy I have found that in my field it is difficult for employers to gauge what the workflow will really be. Just be careful out there when you make your decisions.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 PM

145 posts, read 576,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
I wanted to add another thought to this discussion. One of the questions I always ask now during an interview is whether the job they are interviewing for is a new position or whether they are filling a vacant position because someone left. The reason I ask this is because I have been burnt twice in my career (recently) because the "new"position didn't have enough work to sustain my salary and so I was let go. Especially now in this up and down economy I have found that in my field it is difficult for employers to gauge what the workflow will really be. Just be careful out there when you make your decisions.
OH, NO! I start my new job on Monday after being unemployed for over a year. It's a newly created position due to work overload. Of all the "what if's" I've imagined for the job not working out, I didn't think of not having enough work to sustain my salary, which is 60% of what I previously earned, but way better than unemployment!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM

154 posts, read 535,378 times
Susan- well, what's done is done. You may be just fine and maybe it's just the industry I am in which lends itself to this sort of problem. Don't lose any sleep over it as you may indeed end up with a lot of work. I hope you do!

Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan815 View Post
OH, NO! I start my new job on Monday after being unemployed for over a year. It's a newly created position due to work overload. Of all the "what if's" I've imagined for the job not working out, I didn't think of not having enough work to sustain my salary, which is 60% of what I previously earned, but way better than unemployment!
If the company created a position due to work overload, then I would think that they must have enough work to justify creating a new position to handle it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment