Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 46,527 times

Advertisements

Hope this makes sense. Let's say someone has been collecting unemployment for about 8 months and finds a new job. Only to learn that at the end of the 1st week they find out they are being let go b/c turns out they are not going to be a good fit for this position.

What should one do? File the week as WORKED - claim the amount to be paid for the 1 week they worked?

How does this affect my current employment claim? Anyone?

Let's say this person lives in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
as i just found out..it depends on why you lost your job and if u have my luck with that reason you gave for them saying you weren't a good fit for whatever reason....i dont think u will be approved.....hell i was on unemployment for 2 and a half months and got a letter in the mail of determination stating that they found out that i went into train for one day at Domino's Pizza "which i wasnt paid for" and then on the way home from that one little day of training my car broke down "the car is part of the job as being a driver" so when i got the letter i appealed it because the car is part of the job and without it i cant perform the duties to work and the manager told me they had to remove me from the schedule because my car wasnt working and therefore i couldnt deliver food....

so after getting $1500 in benefits after 2 months or so of the unemployment office not notifying me that the one training day i had was supposed to be reported. When i wasnt aware i was approved for benefits yet and trained at Domino's for one day and never got paid for it....now i owe unemployment $1500 or jail time because my stupid car broke down before i knew i was approved for benefits in the first place and wasnt aware i was supposed to report that one training session...the letter i recieved said the reason i had to pay back all the money that i received for benefits was because i lost my job due to lack of transportation to work..when actually the car is the job when u deliver pizza.....lesson learned dont get a job as a driver if thats all u can find because you will end up owing lots of money because of your own bad luck and not even get paid for training time at a job....

i didnt even make a tip that night because i was riding with some dude the whole night so go figure...i guess i am the type of person that deserves jail time since im poor and cant afford to pay the debt when i actually need the unemployment because i cant find a job because i actually was fired for a good reason before that was no fault of my own.....i volunteer at the red cross and i am trying to get a degree at DeVry right now to help in my job search later on and now they want to say im the kind of person that doesnt deserve help or assistance when we got people who have mooched off of government and lied about their situations ...great judge of people government....no slack for a hard working guy who tries to do thing the right way but much rewards and freebies for lots of people who love breaking the law to get them....sorry im just pissed right now ....but i hope u do get your benefits back though

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,463,917 times
RazorRob -There has to be someone who can help you with this. Can you telephone and email your State Representative or Congressman or Senator. I see Senator Durbin on the TV a lot. Definitely contact him and everyone else you can think of. It's worth a try. This is totally weird reasoning. I would fight a bit on this, if I were you.

I had a problem with delayed benefit payments a month ago. Sent an email to our Governor and the Secretary of Labor and the guy in charge of unemployment in our state. Got a phone call from the Governor's office telling me the money was in my account 18 hours later. You have to talk back.

How did they find out about this one-day training? You weren't even paid. The more I read about trying to work part-time, the more I conclude it causes more trouble than it's worth. Reduces your benefits in your second claim year and in this case, cost you your benefits entirely.

The adage every good deed deserves a punishment certainly applies here. Ridiculous. Please don't take no for an answer just yet.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-01-2010 at 11:57 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1 View Post
Hope this makes sense. Let's say someone has been collecting unemployment for about 8 months and finds a new job. Only to learn that at the end of the 1st week they find out they are being let go b/c turns out they are not going to be a good fit for this position.

What should one do? File the week as WORKED - claim the amount to be paid for the 1 week they worked?

How does this affect my current employment claim? Anyone?

Let's say this person lives in Illinois.
You certify that you worked that week, claim the amount you were paid, report that you were terminated, and continue to collect on your original claim.

Since you only worked the one week and you were terminated -- you did not quit -- you are entitled to claim unemployment. You have not accrued earnings sufficient to open a new claim, so you will pick up your original claim where you left off.

Contact your local UI office, explain the situation, and ask how to reopen your original claim. Since you only worked a week, the original claim may have not yet been closed, so you may even be able to just resume certifying.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
as i just found out..it depends on why you lost your job and if u have my luck with that reason you gave for them saying you weren't a good fit for whatever reason....i dont think u will be approved.....hell i was on unemployment for 2 and a half months and got a letter in the mail of determination stating that they found out that i went into train for one day at Domino's Pizza "which i wasnt paid for" and then on the way home from that one little day of training my car broke down "the car is part of the job as being a driver" so when i got the letter i appealed it because the car is part of the job and without it i cant perform the duties to work and the manager told me they had to remove me from the schedule because my car wasnt working and therefore i couldnt deliver food....

so after getting $1500 in benefits after 2 months or so of the unemployment office not notifying me that the one training day i had was supposed to be reported. When i wasnt aware i was approved for benefits yet and trained at Domino's for one day and never got paid for it....now i owe unemployment $1500 or jail time because my stupid car broke down before i knew i was approved for benefits in the first place and wasnt aware i was supposed to report that one training session...the letter i recieved said the reason i had to pay back all the money that i received for benefits was because i lost my job due to lack of transportation to work..when actually the car is the job when u deliver pizza.....lesson learned dont get a job as a driver if thats all u can find because you will end up owing lots of money because of your own bad luck and not even get paid for training time at a job....

i didnt even make a tip that night because i was riding with some dude the whole night so go figure...i guess i am the type of person that deserves jail time since im poor and cant afford to pay the debt when i actually need the unemployment because i cant find a job because i actually was fired for a good reason before that was no fault of my own.....i volunteer at the red cross and i am trying to get a degree at DeVry right now to help in my job search later on and now they want to say im the kind of person that doesnt deserve help or assistance when we got people who have mooched off of government and lied about their situations ...great judge of people government....no slack for a hard working guy who tries to do thing the right way but much rewards and freebies for lots of people who love breaking the law to get them....sorry im just pissed right now ....but i hope u do get your benefits back though
Let me see if I understand your situation:
(1) You were collecting benefits on the first job that you lost thorough no fault of your own.

(2) Then you get the Domino's delivery job. You train only one day on the Domino's job -- and you do not get paid for that day.

(3) Your car breaks down that night, so you can no longer do the Domino's job. Domino's does not offer you a comparable job that does not require a car -- instead they simply fire you from the delivery job.

(4) UI says you are denied benefits because you were offered work (Domino's) -- which you took -- and then couldn't do. And since the reason you were fired was that you no longer had the prerequisite necessary to do the job -- a car for the deliveries -- you in essence "quit the job" when you failed to supply the car.

(5) Your penalty for "quitting/refusing" the job is that you must repay the UI benefits which you have already collceted on your original claim.

If that's basically the sequence of events, you really should appeal the UI decision to deny you benefits -- and their demand that you repay those benefits you have already received. You lost the ability to do the job -- in this case the car -- you did not refuse to do the job without a very good reason.

The written notification that you were denied benefits should have the instructions on how to file an appeal. That info should also be on your state's DOL website.

One caveat: because of the backlog of appeals in so many states, it could take several months to get an appeals hearing scheduled for your case -- but stick it out. If the appeals tribunal rules in your favor, you will be able to collect your benefits retroactively.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Let me see if I understand your situation:
(1) You were collecting benefits on the first job that you lost thorough no fault of your own.

(2) Then you get the Domino's delivery job. You train only one day on the Domino's job -- and you do not get paid for that day.

(3) Your car breaks down that night, so you can no longer do the Domino's job. Domino's does not offer you a comparable job that does not require a car -- instead they simply fire you from the delivery job.

(4) UI says you are denied benefits because you were offered work (Domino's) -- which you took -- and then couldn't do. And since the reason you were fired was that you no longer had the prerequisite necessary to do the job -- a car for the deliveries -- you in essence "quit the job" when you failed to supply the car.

(5) Your penalty for "quitting/refusing" the job is that you must repay the UI benefits which you have already collceted on your original claim.

If that's basically the sequence of events, you really should appeal the UI decision to deny you benefits -- and their demand that you repay those benefits you have already received. You lost the ability to do the job -- in this case the car -- you did not refuse to do the job without a very good reason.

The written notification that you were denied benefits should have the instructions on how to file an appeal. That info should also be on your state's DOL website.

One caveat: because of the backlog of appeals in so many states, it could take several months to get an appeals hearing scheduled for your case -- but stick it out. If the appeals tribunal rules in your favor, you will be able to collect your benefits retroactively.
Great advice ...and yes you worded the situation better than i could have myself ....I think i will print this out and send it to the unemployment agency and then send this to all the representatives of government i just wrote to today also...Thanks for your analysis really!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
RazorRob -There has to be someone who can help you with this. Can you telephone and email your State Representative or Congressman or Senator. I see Senator Durbin on the TV a lot. Definitely contact him and everyone else you can think of. It's worth a try. This is totally weird reasoning. I would fight a bit on this, if I were you.

I had a problem with delayed benefit payments a month ago. Sent an email to our Governor and the Secretary of Labor and the guy in charge of unemployment in our state. Got a phone call from the Governor's office telling me the money was in my account 18 hours later. You have to talk back.

How did they find out about this one-day training? You weren't even paid. The more I read about trying to work part-time, the more I conclude it causes more trouble than it's worth. Reduces your benefits in your second claim year and in this case, cost you your benefits entirely.

The adage every good deed deserves a punishment certainly applies here. Ridiculous. Please don't take no for an answer just yet.

yeah as i told u in the message so others can see what i have done ...i did e-mail the governor, Lt. governor, and senator of Florida this morning but i am going to actually write another letter and copy this conversation onto it and send it to them also....thanks again Ariadne22

Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Great advice ...and yes you worded the situation better than i could have myself ....I think i will print this out and send it to the unemployment agency and then send this to all the representatives of government i just wrote to today also...Thanks for your analysis really!!!
I'm just the type of person who can grasp a situation more quickly -- especially a complicated situation -- if I can get it spelled out for myself in separate concise points. We all assimilate info differently. Glad you can make some use if it!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I'm just the type of person who can grasp a situation more quickly -- especially a complicated situation -- if I can get it spelled out for myself in separate concise points. We all assimilate info differently. Glad you can make some use if it!
it's much appreciated maam'

Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Well looks like no matter who i write to that nothing can be done...I wrote to the Governor of Florida, the Lt. Governor, a senator, the director of unemployment, and the appeals court all last week......I just received notice that on March 17th that my hearing will be taking place via a phone call since i had unemployment in Florida and now live in Tennessee....they have some dude "refereeing" this whole case....so i might as well bend over and get ready because apparently my voice isn't loud enough for anyone up there to care...this whole system is bullsh#$....maybe i can sue domino's pizza for not paying me for the time i was in training and get the 1500 to pay back unemployment from them since they seem to wanna screw me so much...I guess i deserve this because people who lose thier jobs and try to work are terrible...and the ones who have bad luck because thier car broke down are deserving of jail time...lol...eff the government and this whole system trying to keep poor people and hard working people down...eff em!!!...ohh and my mom has liver disease on top of all this bullshi#!.....and my brother is losing hours at work too and he has 2 kids to feed and he's doing it all by himself man...his girl never tryed to work....eff it all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment