Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,748,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post

So, this situation has changed my life and actually allowed me to get control of my life. I am aware of the games employers (and the media and employed) can play towards others going through struggle. However, I am well aware of my self value and certainly won't let a bad season ruin my career or my life. I am fighting back and most importantly finding ways to pay it forward. In time, I think I will look back at this situation and label it as the "best worse thing" that could have ever happened to me. I determine my value and I work to support my life and will never again live to work.
OUTSTANDING post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM

61 posts, read 182,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1977 View Post
outstanding post.
+1

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM

61 posts, read 182,516 times
While being unemployed, I have learned what a great family and a great support system I have had all along that I never realized until I was down and out. I must say I was blessed, even though I am still unemployed. I never realized that those people were there for me and always have been and always will be. I walked into unemployment almost $30k in debt and no clue how I was going to make ends meet. I have to look at it this way. Things happen for a reason. Why, Im not sure, but I truly believe they do. I am now debt free, thanks to many family members helping me, my gradmother being the major one. I am the only grandson and never realized how special I am to her. She is 84 and declining in health, etc. This time has allowed me to spend VERY special times with her while I am not working. I would much prefer to be working, but this time with her cannot be taken away. Some of us dont get this opportunity if you know what I mean and I am taken advantage of it.

Yes I am still looking for work but like the poster above said, we work to live. That statment says it all right there in a nut shell IMO. Sometimes, just sometimes we have to look at the most important things. Im sure I will bounced back, not sure how long it will take, but by the grace of god, I will come out of this better then when I went into it (debt free). We just need to all, somehow, hang in there together and be each others support. Life is precious. Enjoy it while you have it . It goes by way too fast. Sure I miss all the $ I used to spend for lavish things. I quickly realized those material things were not what was important. Keep up the faith, and yes, I know how fortunate I am compared to many of you in regards to debt.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,748,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snolife View Post
While being unemployed, I have learned what a great family and a great support system I have had all along that I never realized until I was down and out. I must say I was blessed, even though I am still unemployed. I never realized that those people were there for me and always have been and always will be. I walked into unemployment almost $30k in debt and no clue how I was going to make ends meet. I have to look at it this way. Things happen for a reason. Why, Im not sure, but I truly believe they do. I am now debt free, thanks to many family members helping me, my gradmother being the major one. I am the only grandson and never realized how special I am to her. She is 84 and declining in health, etc. This time has allowed me to spend VERY special times with her while I am not working. I would much prefer to be working, but this time with her cannot be taken away. Some of us dont get this opportunity if you know what I mean and I am taken advantage of it.

Yes I am still looking for work but like the poster above said, we work to live. That statment says it all right there in a nut shell IMO. Sometimes, just sometimes we have to look at the most important things. Im sure I will bounced back, not sure how long it will take, but by the grace of god, I will come out of this better then when I went into it (debt free). We just need to all, somehow, hang in there together and be each others support. Life is precious. Enjoy it while you have it . It goes by way too fast. Sure I miss all the $ I used to spend for lavish things. I quickly realized those material things were not what was important. Keep up the faith, and yes, I know how fortunate I am compared to many of you in regards to debt.
Another amazing post. Crazy that it's taken the worse recession since the great depression, to get people to see that the purpose of life is not to work and be slaves to the almighty dollar. Life is so much more, love your attitude, and good for you.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM

436 posts, read 913,969 times
Yeah a big bank account is you're friend!, forget about keeping up with the Jones they just lost their house! living a frugal life with money in the bank is the key to survival as the good times are gone for good, with the new economy things are different now, employers won't pay as much, many jobs are gone over seas as taxes are raised on businesses here. I for see a tough new job market now where if you are not the best forget working in the U.S. We will see high unemployment for years to come so the advice would sock away money and forget that boat or motor home, unless you plan on living in it.
I also learned don't trust big government and big corporations, they don't give a rats*** about you.
Pensen plans are going by by, you must save you're own money, just like the old days.
The good times are defiantly over.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

968 posts, read 2,629,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snolife View Post
While being unemployed, I have learned what a great family and a great support system I have had all along that I never realized until I was down and out. I must say I was blessed, even though I am still unemployed. I never realized that those people were there for me and always have been and always will be[....] This time has allowed me to spend VERY special times with her while I am not working. I would much prefer to be working, but this time with her cannot be taken away. Some of us dont get this opportunity if you know what I mean and I am taken advantage of it.

[...] Im sure I will bounced back, not sure how long it will take, but by the grace of god, I will come out of this better then when I went into it (debt free). We just need to all, somehow, hang in there together and be each others support. Life is precious. Enjoy it while you have it . It goes by way too fast. Sure I miss all the $ I used to spend for lavish things. I quickly realized those material things were not what was important. Keep up the faith, and yes, I know how fortunate I am compared to many of you in regards to debt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Another amazing post. Crazy that it's taken the worse recession since the great depression, to get people to see that the purpose of life is not to work and be slaves to the almighty dollar. Life is so much more, love your attitude, and good for you.
Kudos!!!!

I pray that others day by day are able to redirect the energy of a negative situation into energy that will eventually bear good things in the presence and the future. In spite of the setbacks or rejections, take note of the lesson and find a way for it to positively affect your life/future.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM

44,502 posts, read 20,334,974 times
On 08/03/07, at age 53, I lost my job due to downsizing. I had been at the company for nearly 21 years, and assumed I would retire from there. One of my co-workers who was laid off as well felt completely defeated and spent months in tears, often curled up in a fetal position in her home (she told me this) and agonizing over her predicament. Some of her friends did her online job searching for her because she was incapacitated by her fears and feeling of rejection.

FYI, my former co-worker and I are both single.

Here is how I stayed sane:
I got up early every morning, showered, put on my makeup and dressed for "work." I did this even on days that I didn't step out of the house.
I spent between 40 and 50 hours per week searching for a new job.
I spent so much time in the job hunt, that it was as though I was still working full time.
I networked every chance I got.
I even wrote letters to companies that did not have any job openings, and described to them how I could be an asset to them, if they would create a position for me.
Unless I received a written rejection, I followed up with every company to which I e-mailed or snail-mailed a resume.
I studied the background of each company to which I applied, and mentioned something about the company's history or vision statement in my cover letter.
I attended some job fairs, but actually found those a complete waste of time.
I attended weekly meetings sponsored by Indiana Workforce Development, which assists people with advice on job searching and, coincidentally, serves as a support group. (No one can understand what it's like to lose a job unless they're in the same boat!)
I was relentless and never allowed myself any down time. Schedule-wise, it was as though I never stopped working full-time.
Ultimately, I had three job offers from which to choose. The one I chose was a newly created position, literally tailor-made for me. It is the best job I have ever had, though not the highest paying job. It's much more important to me to be happy in what I am doing than to get rich doing something which I do not enjoy.
I am so much happier now than I was at my old job!

I realize the economy is even worse now than it was in 2007, and that not everyone can be so fortunate as to find full-time work, but I still encourage everyone out there to be relentless, keep re-evaluating your needs and desires as far as your career goes, look outside your comfort zone and consider doing work you've never done before (I went from a law firm to a construction company!), and pray, pray, pray if you are a person of faith.

Good luck to everyone who is still looking. Anything's possible!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Whoever just repped me, thanks! That was very sweet.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,025,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Whoever just repped me, thanks! That was very sweet.
It wasn't me (don't know how to rep), but it's a great post.

"The thing about bad times is to hold on tight until it passes... The only position to take in the trenches is to focus on that it will end... Know that you're NOT the only one that's going through. With most things, the only way out of it is going through."

That's what I just heard on a radio station. Guess I (and others) needed to hear that.

I'll add to that: keep trying to GET OUT of the trenches, and don't go nuts while doing it. Whatever it takes to keep your sanity, do it (as long as it's harmless and healthy). Then proceed with the quest of getting out the trenches.

Again, thanks for your post.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
It wasn't me (don't know how to rep), but it's a great post.

"The thing about bad times is to hold on tight until it passes... The only position to take in the trenches is to focus on that it will end... Know that you're NOT the only one that's going through. With most things, the only way out of it is going through."

That's what I just heard on a radio station. Guess I (and others) needed to hear that.

I'll add to that: keep trying to GET OUT of the trenches, and don't go nuts while doing it. Whatever it takes to keep your sanity, do it (as long as it's harmless and healthy). Then proceed with the quest of getting out the trenches.

Again, thanks for your post.
Bless your heart, Soda! Thank you for the nice compliment and the inspirational quote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment