Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,033 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope somebody can help me with this.

I might get laid off in the next couple of months and I was thinking about moving to CA (I'm in GA now) if I do get laid off. Considering I've been working here for 5 years I think (hope) that I would be eligible for unemployment benefits. The question is - do I apply here or in CA? I'm assuming I have to apply here since this is where my boss paid the taxes but will I get the benefits if I move to CA?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've never been in this situation before and I want to prepare myself.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
You can file a new claim either in GA or CA. It sort of depends on how long you plan on staying in GA before moving to CA. If you move to CA right away, after being laid off, then wait until you get to CA to file a claim. That will be called an Interstate Claim......like I'm getting right now. Weither you stay in GA or move to CA, make sure you file as soon as possible! If you do file in GA, make sure you let the CA Unemployment Office know your new address. You can do this on-line. But, weither you are in GA or CA, you will have to register with the local Unemployment Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope somebody can help me with this.

I might get laid off in the next couple of months and I was thinking about moving to CA (I'm in GA now) if I do get laid off. Considering I've been working here for 5 years I think (hope) that I would be eligible for unemployment benefits. The question is - do I apply here or in CA? I'm assuming I have to apply here since this is where my boss paid the taxes but will I get the benefits if I move to CA?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've never been in this situation before and I want to prepare myself.

Thank you!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,033 times
Great! Thank you very much!

How long did it take you to start getting the benefits?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
Great! Thank you very much!

How long did it take you to start getting the benefits?

Personally, I filed in the state where the termination took place. Then I moved to the second state a month and half later. I then continuned to claim. Normally, in Pennsylvania or Oregon, it takes 2 weeks to get your financial determination and welcome handbook and claim confirmation letter. Then another 2 weeks to get your decison and money if they decide in your favor. This latter can take as little as a week to actually start getting benefits, if there is 1) no appeal by the employer and 2) you have direct deposit set-up. (I don't know about the cards.)

This applies to Regular UC only!! They have OTHER rules if you are leaving your state of termination and are on extended benefits (Euc) or Emergency (EB) benefits!!

good luck!

good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
If you move to CA, you may have to file all over again. There are no actual "unemployment offices" anymore. Everything is done online, and CA doesn't have direct deposit for unemployment benefits yet. You fill out the claim form, mail it in, and about a week later, they mail you a paper check. If you have any questions about it, go to the Employment Development Department (EDD) website, and you will find an email address to ask questions. They're actually very helpful, and you get an answer within a couple of days.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
FYI: There are still "unemployment offices"! Wife and I went to one in North Carolina and there are also offices here in Florida. Don't know about Calif though, haven't lived there since 2002. Here in FL, like in North Carolina, I file every two weeks and have the money put on a debit card. My wife's brother here in FL has his money put on Direct Deposit into his bank account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you move to CA, you may have to file all over again. There are no actual "unemployment offices" anymore. Everything is done online, and CA doesn't have direct deposit for unemployment benefits yet. You fill out the claim form, mail it in, and about a week later, they mail you a paper check. If you have any questions about it, go to the Employment Development Department (EDD) website, and you will find an email address to ask questions. They're actually very helpful, and you get an answer within a couple of days.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
California has no actual unemployment offices. Everything is done online, and you can't get them on the telephone. If you have a question, you email them. I look for CA to go to direct deposit in a few years. The money isn't put on a debit card, they still mail out checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment