Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,532,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Got laid off at the end of the year. No luck finding anything with the current economy. January is typically the worst month at finding work I hear.

What to do all day and not spend much money? Getting cabin fever

Sitting at home all day get boring fast.
Gosh, I'd love to have nothing to do! You can join a gym or start running. Spend time with friends. Paint the living room. Learn how to cook. Host a dinner party. Organize your sock drawer. Shop for clothes at Salvation Army....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,370,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Got laid off at the end of the year. No luck finding anything with the current economy. January is typically the worst month at finding work I hear.

What to do all day and not spend much money? Getting cabin fever

Sitting at home all day get boring fast.
Why is January the worst month to look for work?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,808,167 times
If you have good monetary support like your living at parent's home, then use the time to work out a lot a lose weight for better health + you look younger and sexier!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why is January the worst month to look for work?
It's standard that December and January is the worse months for hiring because December is year-end and majority of employers will want to keep their headcount/expenses flat before they close their books. Similar with January, start of the new year - is when employers are finalizing budgets, projects, forecasting, etc. - so they tend to hold off with hiring until they know where they might need people and whether they will have a budget to add headcount.

I'm in the financial field so this is based on experience, but can't speak for other industries if this is similar.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,165,238 times
Even trying to volunteer seems like a dead end for me! I have contacted 3 different places that have not gotten back to me or have 'non working' emails. It's so frustrating.

I am almost tempted to go get a store job for a few hours a day because I am sick of being home.

And for everyone who is envious, imagine being home 24/7 with no extra money and constantly seeing the same mess that is waiting ALL the time for YOU to clean up because 'everyone else' has a job or things to do.

I have to get out of the house!!! Living in a rural area in the middle of winter is so frustrating sometimes. I have a lot to give and it's going to waste.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 226,098 times
JackyFrost did ya find a job yet ? Have you ever thought about starting your own Work at Home Business (WAH) ?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,716,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Even trying to volunteer seems like a dead end for me! I have contacted 3 different places that have not gotten back to me or have 'non working' emails. It's so frustrating.

I am almost tempted to go get a store job for a few hours a day because I am sick of being home.

And for everyone who is envious, imagine being home 24/7 with no extra money and constantly seeing the same mess that is waiting ALL the time for YOU to clean up because 'everyone else' has a job or things to do.

I have to get out of the house!!! Living in a rural area in the middle of winter is so frustrating sometimes. I have a lot to give and it's going to waste.
Hear ya there, Gypsy. And car washing in both a rural area and in the dead of winter probably isn't on the top of the list of options is it? lol

I guess if I were to do gardening or washing cars, I'd rather get hired by an actual company that does that stuff. Not everyone's situations are ideal for those things.

Organizing parties costs both money and you need someone to invite. It a nice social thing, but its spending money, not making it. Not a good option unless you got money to spend.

Anyways, Gypsy getting a p/t job just doing something is so worth it. I miss my Christmas job. It was so great to just be out there, interacting and doing something. Pay wasn't much but I really liked it. Its worth it, Gypsy. In Feb, I'd strongly recommend going to any retailers you may know of and apply. I mean why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 611Jen View Post
JackyFrost did ya find a job yet ? Have you ever thought about starting your own Work at Home Business (WAH) ?
I am seriously considering that. All I've managed in that area is to sell old stuff and collectibles on Ebay. Made a few bucks doing that mostly around the holidays, but its not much or a very regular source of money.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,165,238 times
Thanks, Jacky.
We need the $ as well. The bills don't stop, even if you are frugal.
I am just having a confidence problem lately.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,716,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Gosh, I'd love to have nothing to do! You can join a gym or start running. Spend time with friends. Paint the living room. Learn how to cook. Host a dinner party. Organize your sock drawer. Shop for clothes at Salvation Army....
1/2 of those cost money or don't take more than 20 minutes lol

and no friends to spend time with

I do do some things. I'm just bored is all

But seriously I can't imagine any human being liking nothing to do for more than a week straight. Our advanced brains require us to constantly be doing something. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have civilization and all the technical gadgets we see nowadays. We're not an "idle" species.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM

541 posts, read 991,217 times
college classes and weight lifting,you'll benefit in the long run from one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment