Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 05:18 PM

33 posts, read 22,233 times

Advertisements

"Submit documentation that is requested and you will have no issues going forward with your claim."

Thanks Scrap, I hate to sound like I'm beating a dead horse here but the only documentation I have is my schooling through the state, and my 2099G, do you think that will suffice? I do not have a W2 or any other proof of taxable income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:22 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,768,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auce76 View Post
"Submit documentation that is requested and you will have no issues going forward with your claim."

Thanks Scrap, I hate to sound like I'm beating a dead horse here but the only documentation I have is my schooling through the state, and my 2099G, do you think that will suffice? I do not have a W2 or any other proof of taxable income.
it's got to be proof of an attachment to the labor force sometime during 2019 through the date that you filed your claim in 2020. Or proof of a job offer that was rescinded and you were unable to start due to COVID.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:44 PM

9 out of ten times the questionnaire link doesn't even work.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:20 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Grap, me too! Exactly the same as you. I'm collecting PUA while I was not eligible for Unemployment. Shortly after I applied for unemployment (knowing I'd be denied), I got an email from the state saying I'd be getting PUA. It's been a year now since April 2020. I even received an extension last month.

"are ppl collecting benefits who have never lost their job in the first place?" I never job pre-pandemic. I was in school.

"The PUA is not something I applied for, it happened automatically." Same here.

I wonder if they will they will take my 1099g as proof of income? It says I have until April 25th to complete the form. I'm so confused as to why 3 weeks ago I got an extension through September and now they are saying I may need to return all money I received after December?
Quote:
Otherwise my PUA will be discontinued? Anyone know why this came out of nowhere?
I don't think they would accept your 1099G, since it came from them in the first place. Maybe send them your class schedule to prove you were going to school. What does your tax return say? With certain claims it might suffice.

This came about because the latest extension provided hundreds of thousands if not a billion for the states to fight false claims.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:30 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Before I log on and fill out the questionnaire, has anyone else gone through this? I'm confused as to why I just got an extension last month but now I'm being audited? The state has known the entire time I've been collecting, I've been unemployed Pre Pandemic. All i have as proof of income is my PUA and 1099G. Any help is apreciated.
You're not being "audited". State DOL is required to have certain information on file in relation to your claim (proof of attachment to workforce, would have begun employment if not for covid....), and that's all they are asking you to submit.

This required information isn't new; it was part of original CARES act provisions, but many states either got sloppy, or in aid of getting claims approved quickly just took whatever people sent in, or in some cases didn't ask. Last version of CARES act federal government made it explicitly and expressly clear, states need to get files in order.

Don't think a 1099-G will suffice because that only proves payments made, not income earned.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:03 AM

I guess I'm sort of screwed then, I don't have any returns for 2019, and 2020 only is my 1099G. I did turn down one job last year (If I read correctly that counts as being approved), however it's not in an email or official format of any kind.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:48 AM

I read this on CNN, I wonder if it applies to us in NJ?

"However, PUA also covers people directly impacted by Covid-19 in other ways, such as if they cannot work because they contracted the virus or are caring for a sick household member; they were deemed at risk by a health authority and directed to self-isolate; their workplace was shut down because of the coronavirus; they had a job offer rescinded; or they must provide full-time supervision to a child or dependent while schools and care facilities are closed due to the virus."

Old 04-07-2021, 01:30 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,768,624 times
Quote:

"However, PUA also covers people directly impacted by Covid-19 in other ways, such as if they cannot work because they contracted the virus or are caring for a sick household member; they were deemed at risk by a health authority and directed to self-isolate; their workplace was shut down because of the coronavirus; they had a job offer rescinded; or they must provide full-time supervision to a child or dependent while schools and care facilities are closed due to the virus."
They're some of the COVID allowable reasons when initially filing a claim, but it doesn't wash away the need to provide either proof of income for the PUA wage base period used for your claim or proof of a job offer rescinded as a result of COVID. You still need to show an attachment to the labor force through allowable documents or a letter of a job offer that was pulled off the table due to COVID.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:31 PM

724 posts, read 448,694 times
Quote:

Don't spend the money

Old 04-07-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShades View Post
Don't spend the money

What are the ramifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment