Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 07:17 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,775,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thank you! Someone on one of the Facebook groups said I should re-open the claim before Saturday after my last week of work...I was planning on doing it that Friday night. But you're saying I do it Sunday?
If you reopen it before Saturday of the last week worked.. meaning you work on Friday and reopen the claim the next day on Saturday that means the reopen date would date it back to Sunday of the week that you worked, meaning the next payable week would be for the week that you worked and then you're back to square one when you go to claim that week (because it will be FT hrs and/or earnings over the PWBR).

You reopen it on the Sunday (2 days after your last day of working on Friday). This will make the reopened date be Sunday of the first week that you will have no earnings. then when you go to claim that week it will be a week of no earnings, not the week of FT work/earnings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:20 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,775,453 times
Quote:
I was never planning to not report it. Are you saying that she logged back on after 5 months of not claiming, and the claim was still open? I am surprised to hear that!
no her claim turned off as it should have when she reported FT hrs/earnings. She likely reopened it when she went back in to claim those two weeks 5 months later. that's why I'm advising you to report the first week of earnings and force the claim to turn off so it will allow you to reopen it two weeks later.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:44 AM

50,965 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
no her claim turned off as it should have when she reported FT hrs/earnings. She likely reopened it when she went back in to claim those two weeks 5 months later. that's why I'm advising you to report the first week of earnings and force the claim to turn off so it will allow you to reopen it two weeks later.
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2021, 08:08 AM

34 posts, read 16,949 times
Quote:
I was never planning to not report it. Are you saying that she logged back on after 5 months of not claiming, and the claim was still open? I am surprised to hear that!
It was a few months ago, so she might have logged on to NJ DOL first and when she tried to open a claim it re-opened her old claim and then she likely certified those two weeks she didn't work, and then the third week she reported earnings and it went back to "you returned to work". So I believe scraprsmith is correct.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:40 AM

83,571 posts, read 75,516,329 times
What were your benefits like for those of you who were collecting then got a temp job and had to start a new claim? Less?

Asking for a friend here in CT. They had to start a new claim after collecting for 1yr due to Covid. She started a temp job that lasted 4 weeks making just as much so benefits were $0.

When starting a new claim they asked for 6 month wage from job obviously only had 1 month worth.. so will unemployment benefits be much less now ?

Old 03-23-2021, 10:52 AM

50,965 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What were your benefits like for those of you who were collecting then got a temp job and had to start a new claim? Less?

Asking for a friend here in CT. They had to start a new claim after collecting for 1yr due to Covid. She started a temp job that lasted 4 weeks making just as much so benefits were $0.

When starting a new claim they asked for 6 month wage from job obviously only had 1 month worth.. so will unemployment benefits be much less now ?
I worked some sporadically last year and when my benefit year ended in October they opened a new claim for me. It was $125 less than I had been collecting. They go by what you earned in your base year, which is not the same as a calendar year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment