Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 3,452 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I was laid off temporarily from my job in Los Angeles, California due to COVID-19. A few people in my apartment building were getting sick, so I drove to a small town in Nevada to be with my mom for safety. ( I have an underlying health issue as well) I requested for the postal service to forward my mail and also filed a claim.

I have never applied for Unemployment, and EDD sent a letter to my Los Angeles address that said I needed to verify my identity within 10 days or I am denied. I never got that letter until finally my landlord checked my mail and it was too late. They also delivered to wrong mailbox, so my neighbor ended up giving it to her. I also got a denial notice and an appeal form to fill out.

I filled out the appeal form and also sent in the required identity document and my appeal is set for mid-May. Here's my question...

I filed on MARCH 15th, and I still have not received any money! It will probably be June before I get anything... If I win my appeal, will I get all of the money from March, April and May? It mentions having to file claims weekly, but I am unable to do that since I don't have an account number yet. I tried to file a new claim, but it says my current claim is still pending, and I can't manage my claim because I don't have an account number. I tried e-mailing for my account number, and they said they can't give me that until I am approved for benefits... so how am I supposed to file a claim weekly if I can't access my notifications?

What are your thoughts on this? Will I get the pandemic money as well? Am I entitled to the back pay? Please help. Scared I won't get anything I tried calling everyday and nobody takes my calls.

Last edited by tangobaby; 05-05-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Okay, I think I answered my own question. My friend said they decided not to have people file claims from March 14th-May 9th. Thank you!

Old 05-05-2020, 10:36 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangobaby View Post
Okay, I think I answered my own question. My friend said they decided not to have people file claims from March 14th-May 9th. Thank you!
Yes for people that have approved claims to make the claiming process easier.

It's not that simple in your situation.

#1 you received a denial because you didn't respond in time to a request for identify verification.
#2 don't bring into the equation the fact that you have an underlying health issue as that raises an able and available issue.
#3 do you have proof that you requested post office forward your mail and the date request was done. Normally mail doesn't start forwarding until a couple of weeks after the request is put in.

You will not be automatically certified for prior weeks as you hav a denial and also an identity verification issue. If you win your appeal then the weeks will be backdated and you will be paid for them.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Not all mail sent from EDD can be forwarded. Some notices are legally required to be return to the State if undelivered as addressed to prevent fraud. I'm not sure if you can check your online account with EDD to see what notices were sent to you so you're aware if something doesn't show up.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Not all mail sent from EDD can be forwarded. Some notices are legally required to be return to the State if undelivered as addressed to prevent fraud. I'm not sure if you can check your online account with EDD to see what notices were sent to you so you're aware if something doesn't show up.

Thank you so much. I am having my landlord check my mail every single day. UPDATE and one more question- my appeal has now been reversed and dismissed, and I was found eligible for benefits according to a letter from the judge and the appeal department ... it says I should be receiving claim forms within 7 days... but nothing yet. Should I be getting a debit card in the mail, or do I have to fill out the claim forms first?? Do I need to file a claim for for every single week dating back to March 15th (when initially filed).I would try to manage this online, but I still don't have my account number... what is my next step in getting paid?

Last edited by tangobaby; 05-11-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Yes for people that have approved claims to make the claiming process easier.

It's not that simple in your situation.

#1 you received a denial because you didn't respond in time to a request for identify verification.
#2 don't bring into the equation the fact that you have an underlying health issue as that raises an able and available issue.
#3 do you have proof that you requested post office forward your mail and the date request was done. Normally mail doesn't start forwarding until a couple of weeks after the request is put in.

You will not be automatically certified for prior weeks as you hav a denial and also an identity verification issue. If you win your appeal then the weeks will be backdated and you will be paid for them.

UPDATES*** PS- Thank you so much for your response! I now have a letter stating that my appeal was dismissed. I no longer have to appeal. I didn't win, the judge just said it's been reversed, and I am eligible for benefits. It says they should be sending me claim forms in mail within 7 days. I can't file continued claim forms online because I don't have an account number yet. My question is... what happens next? Do I get a bank card? Will they send me something with my account number? Will I need to send in the claim forms they're sending first? Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by tangobaby; 05-11-2020 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You will be getting a ton of paperwork, although I'd recommend calling BofA and seeing if you can get them to confirm your card. if they had the wrong address before, it could be going there.
Thank you, [Mod cut]. Bank of America's phone lines are saying the same as EDD- too many callers, please try again later and then a disconnect. I'll keep trying first thing in the morning daily and having my landlord check my mail. This "ton of paperwork" - does it need to be filled out before the bank card and account number arrives, or should I be on the look-out for those items as well? Much appreciated

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-12-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment