Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 03:21 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,824,042 times

Advertisements

Wow. If it makes you feel any better I'll give you my address you can send the 10% to me. I'll hold the money for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 03:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,784,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Wow. If it makes you feel any better I'll give you my address you can send the 10% to me. I'll hold the money for ya.
LOL yes we can all bury it in a box in our backyard or do it the old fashion way and stash it under the mattress.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:48 AM

448 posts, read 284,510 times
Just saw this on the MA Pandemic unemployment site:

PUA and FPUC benefits are subject to Massachusetts and federal taxes. Individuals are responsible for paying federal and state income taxes on the unemployment benefits they receive. The Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) does not withhold taxes on PUA and FPUC benefits.

(I asked 'Hal' and he replied that)

Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,784,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Just saw this on the MA Pandemic unemployment site:

PUA and FPUC benefits are subject to Massachusetts and federal taxes. Individuals are responsible for paying federal and state income taxes on the unemployment benefits they receive. The Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) does not withhold taxes on PUA and FPUC benefits.

(I asked 'Hal' and he replied that)
Their DUA page does say you can request taxes to be withheld.

What to know
Your unemployment benefits are taxable. If you want taxes withheld from your weekly benefit payments, you must tell us this when you file your claim. To do this, you may:

Fill out the tax withholding section of UI Online
Call the TeleCert line at (617) 626-6338

If you don’t want to have taxes withheld from your weekly benefits, you will be responsible for paying federal and state taxes directly later.

Current tax withholding rates

Federal income taxes: 10%
Massachusetts state income taxes: 5.05%

Old 05-01-2020, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 31,015 times
Good info, everyone! Thanks for the replies. I will just set the money aside so there are no surprises next April.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 AM

131,185 posts, read 12,268,010 times
Put the money in savings, or send in an estimated payment, you can print out a payment voucher online. Or even pay online.

from IRS site:
When To Pay Estimated Taxes
For estimated tax purposes, the year is divided into four payment periods. You may send estimated tax payments with Form 1040-ES by mail, or you can pay online, by phone or from your mobile device using the IRS2Go app. Visit IRS.gov/payments to view all the options. For additional information, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:41 AM

448 posts, read 284,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Their DUA page does say you can request taxes to be withheld.

What to know
Your unemployment benefits are taxable. If you want taxes withheld from your weekly benefit payments, you must tell us this when you file your claim. To do this, you may:

Fill out the tax withholding section of UI Online
Call the TeleCert line at (617) 626-6338

If you don’t want to have taxes withheld from your weekly benefits, you will be responsible for paying federal and state taxes directly later.

Current tax withholding rates

Federal income taxes: 10%
Massachusetts state income taxes: 5.05%
Im thinking that was the DUA website.

WHat i Got was from the pandemic website in Mass. Different horse, different breed I believe.

My regular Unemployment has taxes taken out.

My daughter 1 regular unemployment has taxes taken out.

My daughter 2 pandemic does not come out.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:07 PM

15,138 posts, read 32,430,384 times
Federal taxes are taken out of my regular unemployment benefits.

No taxes have been taken out of the pandemic $600 unemployment benefits.

I'm going to email EDD with the tax question to see what they say.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:53 AM

941 posts, read 430,087 times
Roll the dice and hope the swamp critters pass a law exempting UI income for 2020. That could possibly not occur until next year. You know how they like to pass tax legislation the early months of a year affecting the previous year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment