Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 05:20 AM

185 posts, read 91,123 times

Advertisements

Kind of a weird situation and I want to do this the right way without facing any penalties. Trying to get through to talk to someone on the phone at CA EDD is impossible. So I'm asking here to hopefully get input.

I've been collecting benefits fine plus the extra $600 since our job has shutdown. Out of the blue our employer sent out a letter saying we will be paid weekly for the rest of the work we were hired to do but lost (4 weeks worth) due to the shutdown. NOTE: I was NOT laid off but rather our operations were forced to shut down. This extra pay was totally unexpected by my employer and super cool of them to offer.

Anyhow, my question is since I did not work but they are paying us for the remainder of the job, how do I report what kind of earnings these are?

Question (6) on the weekly claim form asks "Did you work OR earn any money whether you were paid or not".
If I answer YES because I was given pay, it takes you to the page that asks for your employer information, date last worked and how many hours you worked.........BUT I didn't work..lol??

If I answer NO for question (6) it takes you to page that says "You indicated on question 6 that you did not work or earn any money" then gives a list of types of pay received. But I have and will receive money from them for the next 4 weeks. Confusing to say the least.

On that page EDD lists what wages are.
(I've edited out the ones that I know don't apply to me like Jury duty, workers comp, pension..etc)

https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/..._and_Wages.htm

Wages are any earnings or income received from:

Work performed <--(kept this in but again I did not work)
Holding fees
Holiday pay
Idle time pay
In-lieu-of-notice pay
Residual pay
Vacation pay

It's very confusing how to report money I was paid and will be paid but did not physically work for.
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by ASWD; 04-24-2020 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 08:05 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,921,593 times
You really need to be careful with this one. Hopefully someone who has a clue can pop in and give you some guidance. Bumping to the top.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:36 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,223,354 times
Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in.

My GUESS would be it's considered in the severance or bonus category.

Would you still qualify for the extra $600 for those 4 weeks? (Meaning your benefit is at least $1?)

My friend was collecting unemployment with the $600 but then her job qualified for a small business loan, so now they are all being paid again. But it's LESS money than she was getting on UI. So the loan didn't actually help the employees.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:34 PM

521 posts, read 565,263 times
This is the same as returning to work. Unless he's paying cash they have records. Talk to your boss because you stop filing and Unemployment stops. But in 4 weeks you can start again.

Your boss needs to understand when you end the money from him he needs to tell UI that you came back to work and are now laid off again.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:27 PM

185 posts, read 91,123 times
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in.

My GUESS would be it's considered in the severance or bonus category.

Would you still qualify for the extra $600 for those 4 weeks? (Meaning your benefit is at least $1?)

My friend was collecting unemployment with the $600 but then her job qualified for a small business loan, so now they are all being paid again. But it's LESS money than she was getting on UI. So the loan didn't actually help the employees.

Not sure if I would still qualify but it's okay. It's more than likely the wages my employer has offered to pay would place me into the excessive earnings anyhow. Because of their surprise generosity, at least for a few weeks, I'm not in any dire need to collect benefits right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
This is the same as returning to work. Unless he's paying cash they have records. Talk to your boss because you stop filing and Unemployment stops. But in 4 weeks you can start again.

Your boss needs to understand when you end the money from him he needs to tell UI that you came back to work and are now laid off again.

Yeah, it's going through their payroll. At this point where I can't get a definitive answer from EDD simply because it's all but impossible to get a hold of anyone in the first place, I think that's the best course of action just to let my claim go inactive (not cancel) as I would no longer be in need of Unemployment benefits at this time, then reopen the claim after the 4 weeks. In my experience reopening a claim is easy and pretty much just picks up where you left off. I have done this in the past when my job once went on an extend no pay hiatus. Then I just stopped certifying when I went back to work; which follows the guidelines in the EDD handbook.

CANCELING OR STOPPING YOUR CLAIM

You may only cancel your UI claim if your claim has not ended, a Notice of Determination has not been mailed, no benefits have been paid, and no overpayment has been established on the claim. If your claim is canceled, you can file a new UI claim with a later date. If you want to cancel your claim, contact the EDD IMMEDIATELY. You cannot cancel a claim after you have collected UI benefits and cannot file a new UI claim until your current claim ends. If you go back to work or are no longer in need of UI benefits for some period of time, simply stop certifying. You can reopen your claim in the future if benefits are still available and your claim has not ended.

Thank for your time everyone and good luck!

Old 04-24-2020, 09:41 PM

13,175 posts, read 21,306,034 times
If the payment is listed on your payroll statement like normal work wages, it's normal work wages for services performed. But if you want to keep out of the work - no work adjudication process, just list it as a bonus or back pay.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:35 PM

13,175 posts, read 21,306,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwood11 View Post
If you think your amount is large you should go to court and file a case against it. Firstly hire a legal expert and tell him all the situation hope so it will work
Oh god, what type of idiotic irrelevant statement is this! Go home and stop using the computer without mommies permission!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:21 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,804,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Oh god, what type of idiotic irrelevant statement is this! Go home and stop using the computer without mommies permission!
I was so hoping you would see this last comment. I figured I would you give you first crack at his moronic statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment