Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 19,381 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Up until mid March I was working as a waiter in Philadelphia. I had also been making deliveries for Postmates and had been hired by the US Census Bureau to begin working part time sometime in the spring/summer.

Shortly after I was furloughed from the restaurant I decided to stop making deliveries mainly because it didn't seem worth the risk for the pay and I wasn't sure if any income would go against my unemployment claim.

Today the Census contacted to me to let me know they're tentatively looking at June for a starting date, but I'm wondering, since I'm eligible for unemployment and they're not requiring job searches, would I be better off just to stay on unemployment? Maybe if I turn down the position it could open up for someone who needs it more and doesn't have unemployment benefits?

I'm leaning towards taking the job just for my sanity's sake but I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Hope everyone's doing well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:42 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
Hello!

Up until mid March I was working as a waiter in Philadelphia. I had also been making deliveries for Postmates and had been hired by the US Census Bureau to begin working part time sometime in the spring/summer.

Shortly after I was furloughed from the restaurant I decided to stop making deliveries mainly because it didn't seem worth the risk for the pay and I wasn't sure if any income would go against my unemployment claim.

Today the Census contacted to me to let me know they're tentatively looking at June for a starting date, but I'm wondering, since I'm eligible for unemployment and they're not requiring job searches, would I be better off just to stay on unemployment? Maybe if I turn down the position it could open up for someone who needs it more and doesn't have unemployment benefits?

I'm leaning towards taking the job just for my sanity's sake but I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Hope everyone's doing well!!
No. Part time work rarely works out to benefit those who are collecting UI. to quote Chyvan:

Part-time work is a sucker's bet in ALL states, some are just worse than others.

Search the forum for part time work while collecting and dare to find too many instances where it's advised to do so.

right now with the $600 a week federal on top of UI weekly benefits I can't see how any part time job plays in your favor.

Did you already agree to accept that job as you don't want that to turn into a job refusal.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:43 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
So when you go to certify after the June date, you will answer YES to refusing suitable job offer for the census position thus jeopardizing unemployment going froward?

Old 04-21-2020, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 19,381 times
I accepted the job back in January or February and when they called today I said I was still on board but they said I could call them back to opt out if anything changed in the meantime. Sounds like I may have messed up.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,567 times
Even the EDD employee on Reddit says to always answer the questions the same way, Yes you looked for work, and No you didn't turn down work. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

As far as side jobs, I wouldn't do any other work if I were collecting UI. There could be a week or so that overlaps if you had to finish a project or whatever, but mostly I would avoid it. The important thing is WHEN you did the work, not when you got PAID for it. While you're collecting, you shouldn't do any other work other than looking for a job and going on interviews IMO.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 PM

5,161 posts, read 3,769,722 times
I guess you got a 1099 from the part time census job. Hope that doesn't create a problem for you and they don't knock down your claim. I kinda doubt they would bother though. You got caller ID? No more contact is probably the best course of action and nothing in writing.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
I accepted the job back in January or February and when they called today I said I was still on board but they said I could call them back to opt out if anything changed in the meantime. Sounds like I may have messed up.
You didn't mess up. You can either decide to do it and just report the earnings so they can deduct that amount, or you can decide to opt out.

I don't think they would consider not taking a P/T Census job the same as turning down a full-time, benefits included, high-paying job. Even in that scenario, they wouldn't even know about it.

Last edited by Scal2010; 04-21-2020 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 04:11 PM

724 posts, read 449,242 times
They won't know you you turned down anything unless for some reason they contacted your employer which is not happening

Old 04-21-2020, 04:25 PM

42 posts, read 21,013 times
In NY one of the questions for weekly qualification is "did you earn more than $505 last week?" So does it mean that if you earn less than that from your side hustle, you don't have to report anything and get your normal UI benefits?

Old 04-21-2020, 04:27 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Even the EDD employee on Reddit says to always answer the questions the same way, Yes you looked for work, and No you didn't turn down work. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.
Yes except for he just accepted the job again today and would be considered a job refusal in June. Many times employers report to new hire data base before employee actually starts working for them which creates a problem for UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment