Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, just made an account, usually lurk but I’m having a problem applying for unemployment in nyc. It’s my first time ever filing for unemployment. I’ve always worked/ looked for work. I cannot do that now because my child is home work school and under the cares act I know I qualify but I’m having a hard time applying. When I get to the wage part section it shows an employer I have for back in may 2018. I worked both w2 and I was self employed, no 1099 none of that my own self employment work. I also filed 2018 tax return with my self employment and w2. How do I apply if I haven’t worked in the past 18 months and when selecting none it still shows my employer. And I don’t want to put the self employment because I haven’t worked since may 2018. Any insight ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 12:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,176,930 times
If you legitimately have not worked since 2018, you are not going to qualify without that self employment income. What employment have you lost due to COVID?

NY does have the PUA up and running, but you will have to be denied UI first.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 2,659 times
But that self implement income was all made before June 2018 because I gave birth in June of 2018 and I’m want to apply for pua but have to apply to Ui first and don’t know how to proceed if my employment from 2018 comes up. Even if it’s denied I’m not sure how to apply without being asked for all this information and going through an employer who I have not worked for in 2 years. I understand that even if I apply now it will show now income since I haven’t worked which is fine. First time I ever have been through this and would only like to apply so I can apply for pua since I cannot find a job because my child’s school is closed.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Ok - so you have no earnings for nearly 24 months?

There's nothing to apply for in the eyes of the DOL, you haven't lost income. If by some miracle they kick you over to PUA (although I do not see a qualifying factor based on any document that's out there), you'd get the DUA calculation, which would be 50% of the state average UI award. Here's how you go about it:

Apply anyway, using the old W-2 employer info. YOU WILL BE DENIED.

This denial is necessary to even trigger PUA eligibility and then we see if there's any loopholes. It'll likely be mid-May to early June before this proceeds.

Last edited by Skipito; 04-18-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 01:41 PM

42 posts, read 21,436 times
In order to apply for PUA and be eligible, do you have to apply for non-PUA UI first (answer "non-covid related" on the application form) and then get denied?

Old 04-18-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hot View Post
In order to apply for PUA and be eligible, do you have to apply for non-PUA UI first (answer "non-covid related" on the application form) and then get denied?
Yes. You must be deemed ineligible for regular UI first.

All instructions are here:

https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/cares-act.shtm

Old 04-18-2020, 03:06 PM

76 posts, read 72,541 times
Skipito what happened to our retroactive benefits for the $600.. we were supposed to get 2 weeks retroactive by the time NJ sent out the money... got credited for 1 week. I'm sure every week going forth well receive the extra 600 but the 1 week retro is still in limbo

Old 04-18-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter7280 View Post
Skipito what happened to our retroactive benefits for the $600.. we were supposed to get 2 weeks retroactive by the time NJ sent out the money... got credited for 1 week. I'm sure every week going forth well receive the extra 600 but the 1 week retro is still in limbo
I wouldn’t bank on that. I don’t think anyone ever got the money from that week. Same with TX. In the original act, it stated the start/end dates. In the DOL docs it states “upon joining the agreement with the secretary of labor” - which apparently happened a week later in many states.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:20 PM

76 posts, read 72,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
I wouldn’t bank on that. I don’t think anyone ever got the money from that week. Same with TX. In the original act, it stated the start/end dates. In the DOL docs it states “upon joining the agreement with the secretary of labor” - which apparently happened a week later in many states.
Dammit!! They did mention everyone would get it retroactive though! I read one article in the media saying all 50 states joined the agreement at the time it went into effect

Old 04-18-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter7280 View Post
Dammit!! They did mention everyone would get it retroactive though! I read one article in the media saying all 50 states joined the agreement at the time it went into effect
Maybe some day it'll show up, I just wouldn't plan on it - most states don't even have PUA processes in place and hardly anyone has FPUE extensions in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment