Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 06:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,760,274 times

Advertisements

This just keeps getting better all the time. Delayed stimulus check messy websites the whole nine.
So here's the deal. I have a claim with NC UI gotten a couple of checks already even got my first $600 federal kicker.
I anticipated getting a small check today for 3 days PTO. I reported this money as vacation pay on my last certification 4/11. Open up my checking account and bam. Got paid for a full two weeks.
Spoke to my manager this morning and the company paid everyone 2 weeks pay.
So now I got a problem. Should I certify this week for the difference between what I got paid today minus what I certified for last week? For example.

4/11 Certified for $300

Got paid $900 on 4/17

4/18 Certify for $600?

I did not work this week my last day of work was in fact 3/26. I do not want to have a problem with fraud.

What is my best course of action here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 06:47 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,269 times
Well. It wouldn’t be fraud. If anything a simple non-fraud over payment.

How did they categorize the payout? Did you get a check stub with it?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:13 AM

The company website was hacked 6 weeks ago and was down until this morning. My manager gave me the link this morning.
Turns out they never used my PTO. They just paid a straight 2 weeks pay. It is listed on my wage statement for the pay period as regular working hours. I had no intent to commit a fraud and while they might be too busy presently to check all of these claims they might down the road and I do not want to be subject to a massive claw back from NC UI.

The way it stands now since I work at an airport and will most likely end up with reduced hours through Labor Day at least once we get called back I will apply for extended benefits. What should I do when I certify for this week? I can't certify for subsequent weeks until I certify for this week just ended.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The company website was hacked 6 weeks ago and was down until this morning. My manager gave me the link this morning.
Turns out they never used my PTO. They just paid a straight 2 weeks pay. It is listed on my wage statement for the pay period as regular working hours. I had no intent to commit a fraud and while they might be too busy presently to check all of these claims they might down the road and I do not want to be subject to a massive claw back from NC UI.

The way it stands now since I work at an airport and will most likely end up with reduced hours through Labor Day at least once we get called back I will apply for extended benefits. What should I do when I certify for this week? I can't certify for subsequent weeks until I certify for this week just ended.
You’re going to have to claim those earnings. I would do net of the 24 hours you already claimed. There’s no fraud here, you went on the best available information.

Seems like a lot of employers are doing this and it really screws up an already fragile system. You may end up having to reopen your claim next week, which is going to be a PITA, and I really hope it doesn’t delay you - although with NC, that’s a roll of the dice.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:36 AM

Yeah I was just going to put down the difference between what I certified for last week and what I got this morning. I had no intention of not claiming the earnings.
Now I did not work. I was thinking of claiming the earnings as vacation pay. I don't expect to get a check from NC UI for this week nor do I expect the $600 from the Feds. I am not a pig. Can I certify these earnings as vacation or severance pay without screwing up the claim?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:42 AM

I would do it as vacation pay. It’s the cleanest way to do this without complicating your claim.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:48 AM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think the company went above and beyond paying all their employees 2 weeks pay. They have locations in every airport up and down the Eastern Seaboard must have cost them a small fortune but I guess when you get $3 for a bottle of water that cost next to nothing you can afford it.

Spoke to the manager who also filed for UI and she doesn't even know if they intend to keep doing this. And it continues.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:54 AM

At least it’s money showing up.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:17 AM

So the Go To Employment Service disappeared this morning to be replaced by the familiar File Weekly Certification.

Couple of weeks ago when certifying I had PTO pay answered yes to did I get vacation/sick pay. A drop down box opened asking how much did I get. Filled in the amount. Never got unemployment for that week it still shows as pending resolution looks like it was checked out a couple of times because for the week ending 4/4 they checked this out on 4/5 then again on 4/15.
Today I certify again answer did I get vacation pay answer yes this time no drop down box to answer how much did I get.
So it appears North Carolina will not pay if you get vacation/sick pay.
My hope is that they do NOT pay for these two weeks because unknown to me my employer made me whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment