Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 341 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Recently I started job hunting for a temporary job during the lockdown because I am temporarily furloughed from my normal retail job.

Well, I got an interview and got hired at a fast food chain.
I filled out paperwork today and even got officially paid for 2 hour of my time for orientation.

I found out that California is giving an extra $600 a week to people on unemployment until the end of July. I didn't find out about this until after I signed paperwork. So basically, by having a temporary part time job, I can make $300 a week OR I can stay safe and make $779 a week on unemployment.

My question is, since I technically found a job and have been officially clocked in for two hours during orientation, would I be disqualified from unemployment benefits if I chose to refuse the work?

On top of this, I am having second thoughts because it may be dangerous to work in fast food because I have an elderly father whom I live with and is potentially more susceptible die to his age. So even if money weren't a factor, I would be having second thoughts still.

So did I just ruin all of my unemployment benefits by technically accepting work?
Would I be disqualified from unemployment benefits if I choose to not work my new temp job?

And would the reasoning of "living with a high risk family member" be a valid reason to collect unemployment?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 05:48 AM

100 posts, read 47,334 times
the state will find out eventually as you were already paid. any job where you were paid on the books meaning you provided employer with social security number Cali state will find out

Old 04-17-2020, 06:07 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,176,930 times
Yes. You accepted work. If you quit, you will be DQ’d until you purge that quit with new employment and enough earnings.

Your goal will be to earn less than your WBA and protect at least $1 in payout under your claim - this will still allow you to receive the $600 stipend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment