Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 18,628 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could assist me with understanding why I was denied (I think I got it, but I'm not sure and as we all know, the unemployment offices in California you are unable to get through to).

I was moved to working remotely part time due to Covid. I started my claim for 03/29/2020. Unfortunately, I started this job back in September of 2019, so I don't have any other jobs to go back on for my quarterly earnings (I hadn't been working in awhile, so there is no other job earnings to go off of either). My letter from unemployment says my highest quarter earnings are $1,135.06.

Based off of that, how do I determine how much I am allowed to earn each week to be able to qualify for unemployment? Or is there more information needed to determine it? I'm just trying to figure out what to expect, if anything at all, going forward. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi0902 View Post
I was wondering if someone could assist me with understanding why I was denied (I think I got it, but I'm not sure and as we all know, the unemployment offices in California you are unable to get through to).

I was moved to working remotely part time due to Covid. I started my claim for 03/29/2020. Unfortunately, I started this job back in September of 2019, so I don't have any other jobs to go back on for my quarterly earnings (I hadn't been working in awhile, so there is no other job earnings to go off of either). My letter from unemployment says my highest quarter earnings are $1,135.06.

Based off of that, how do I determine how much I am allowed to earn each week to be able to qualify for unemployment? Or is there more information needed to determine it? I'm just trying to figure out what to expect, if anything at all, going forward. Thanks in advance.
type in exactly what the denial letter said from EDD.

Requirement to Qualify for UI Benefits

To establish a valid UI claim, the EDD looks at (1) the highest base period quarter (three-month period or 13 weeks) to see if the individual earned at least $1,300; or in the alternative (2) the highest base period quarter to see if the individual earned at least $900 and if the total base period earnings added together equals 1.25 times the individual's highest base period quarter earnings.

What were your qtr earnings for each qtr? does it say whether they used standard base period or alternate base period?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,158,319 times
You’re better off being denied regular UI benefits. Once EDD has their PUA program in place, you will be eligible for benefits under this program, which will pay you 50% of the average WBA for the state for up to 39 weeks, plus your $600/week enhanced benefit until 7/31.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 18,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
type in exactly what the denial letter said from EDD.

Requirement to Qualify for UI Benefits

To establish a valid UI claim, the EDD looks at (1) the highest base period quarter (three-month period or 13 weeks) to see if the individual earned at least $1,300; or in the alternative (2) the highest base period quarter to see if the individual earned at least $900 and if the total base period earnings added together equals 1.25 times the individual's highest base period quarter earnings.

What were your qtr earnings for each qtr? does it say whether they used standard base period or alternate base period?
It says "Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award"

My Quarterly Earnings were as follows:

Dec 18- $0
Mar 19- $0
Jun 19- $0
Sep 19- $1,135.06

It says the claim award is calculated based on the Standard Base Period.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:25 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi0902 View Post
It says "Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award"

My Quarterly Earnings were as follows:

Dec 18- $0
Mar 19- $0
Jun 19- $0
Sep 19- $1,135.06

It says the claim award is calculated based on the Standard Base Period.
You're not eligible due to not having at lease $1300 in a quarter for standard base period. I don't know if they ran it under alternate base period. What was qtr. Dec 19 earnings? As Skipito said once CA gets PUA in place you may be found eligible for payments under PUA (which will probably end up being more they're paying 50% of average WBA for CA) and also get the $600 bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment