Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 9,051 times

Advertisements

[quote=scraprsmith;57856207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIVAS22 View Post

But you're missing the point. You are not "collecting" anything from regular UI while you are sitting out for a false penalty statement. It has nothing to do with you owing or not owing money. It has to do with right now you are sitting out X number of weeks and not able to get paid even $1 (which is the requirement to get paid the $600). No dollars for regular UI means no extra $600 during those weeks. That's why I would find out why you are getting hit with a false penalty statement to try and resolve it and/or find out how many weeks you are getting hit with.
The reason is because I do have an overpayment from 3 years ago and I have not been able to pay it back !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,791,130 times
[quote=CRIVAS22;57856252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post

The reason is because I do have an over payment from 3 years ago and I have not been able to pay it back !!
It must have been considered a fraud over payment then if you are getting hit with false statement penalty weeks. How many weeks is it for?

Fraud: If the EDD finds that you intentionally gave false information or withheld information and, as a result, received benefits that you should not have received, the overpayment is considered fraud. Withholding or giving false information to obtain benefits is a serious offense that can result in penalties and criminal prosecution. With a fraud overpayment, you can receive a penalty equal to 30 percent of the overpayment amount. Additionally, you can be disqualified for 5 to 23 weeks. You must repay fraud overpayments and penalties.

Non-Fraud: If you received benefits you were not eligible for and the overpayment was not your fault, the overpayment is considered non-fraud. You will receive a notice telling you if the overpayment must be repaid.

If you do not repay your overpayment quickly, the EDD can deduct the money from your future UI or State Disability Insurance benefits. The EDD can also:

Reduce or withhold your federal and state income tax refunds.
Reduce or withhold your state lottery winnings.
Reduce or withhold other money the State owes you.
File a claim against you in court.
Charge you court costs and interest.
Record a lien on your property.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:40 PM

I tried to find out how many weeks I have to wait but it's really impposible to get in touch with EDD right now...I really appreciate your help and stay safe my friend !!

Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I tried to find out how many weeks I have to wait but it's really impposible to get in touch with EDD right now...I really appreciate your help and stay safe my friend !!
Hopefully you only got hit with the 5 week penalty. you will be able to collect on all your weeks (if you have enough time left before you claim period expires) on the back end. it's just a matter of sitting it out until then. Your $600 a week will kick in after you've served your penalty period and start collecting (even if regular UI payment goes towards over payment).

Old 04-15-2020, 06:02 PM

My claim expires on 03/15/2021 so I have time..I already served 4 weeks so I am hoping for the best...Thank you very much..You have been very helpful with great information !!

Old 04-15-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
My claim expires on 03/15/2021 so I have time..I already served 4 weeks so I am hoping for the best...Thank you very much..You have been very helpful with great information !!
You're welcome. fingers crossed only one more week for you. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
You're welcome. fingers crossed only one more week for you. Good luck.
Thanks my friend !!!

Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 5,647 times
Hi I am in the same boat as you. False statement penalty weeks I have no clue how long for. Do you no how many overpayments you had? I have been on a payment plan for the past 6 months paying mine back.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruffin2015 View Post
Hi I am in the same boat as you. False statement penalty weeks I have no clue how long for. Do you no how many overpayments you had? I have been on a payment plan for the past 6 months paying mine back.
Didn't you receive letter or notification with dates listed or time period that you were found to be ineligible for?

Old 04-17-2020, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,647 times
No I haven’t gotten anything I first certified 4-12-2020 and seen the false penalty statement for week 1 and 2. My overpayment was from 2017 if they did send a letter back then I don’t remember. So I have no idea how many penalty weeks I have. Did you receive a letter once you opened your new claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment