Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,883 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Hope all is well with you, first and foremost! (@Chyvan you still frequent these forums?!)

TL;DR: I originally applied for unemployment in late January. Would accepting UI benefits now make me eligible for the additional $600 weekly allotment?

I'm from CA and this is my situation:

-----------------------------------------------
On Late January 2020 I was fired from my job due to a policy violation. They originally wanted to accuse me of theft, but since they couldn't trace all the money I handled on that day, I understood it was settled as a (document/paperwork discrepancy). I talked to the HR manager and he said I qualify for unemployment as it was not a theft issue, merely a policy violation that resulted in the accounting being off (Nonetheless, i went back and looked at a picture of the termination write-up and I realized it did say Theft), but the incident description matched the discrepancy issue more.

Anyways, I went ahead and applied, and got all the usual letters with pre-approval / etc for upwards of ~10k and over ~$400 weekly. Eventually, I get a letter saying I was chosen for the dreaded phone interview (ugh!). Within this time frame, I reaggrevated a pre-existing injury and ended up going on SDI between all of this. I still ended up taking the phone interview with the EDD lady (it was worst than an actual job interview! I was terribly nervous and she kept pressing me for additional details and asked if I had been reprimanded before, which I had -- but for different reasons and I spilled all the beans. It was my first time applying for unemployment so I figured you just had to come clean and they would verify with employer). I did my best to explain to her that it was an unusual situation and an unfavorable outcome that I should not have been placed under in the first place. I wish I wouldn't have taken her call now.

Needless to say, she ended the conversation by saying they will let me know if I qualify for unemployment (which made me feel like they would deny my claim) and then she realized that I was on disability, and said that my UI application was actually not yet submitted as a result since SDI took priority.
Fast forward to now, my expected return to work date is this week and I am ready to look for work, so I planned on reapplying for UI. I opted to reopen my claim and it still shows my previously discussed allotments. It is asking me for a lot of the same information that I had entered before (reason for being unemployed, date last worked, etc). So now after reading various responses, I am choosing to merely putting "fired" as the reason for being terminated as opposed to the paperwork discrepancy.

The things I am wondering now are:

Does the EDD lady that called me store all the information I told her in my file, or was it discarded soon after she found out my application had taken the backburner as a result of SDI? Do you recommend I make a new claim, or just attempt to reopen? I really can't deal with my claim being denied at this time. The job I had been interviewing for this past two weeks officially told me they were halting all hiring until further notice. I'm wondering If I might have a better chance of it being approved by reopening claim right now with the EDD servers being overloaded, or if it might get denied if they are able to read all the details on the conversation.

Last but not least, do you think the additional weekly $600 applies to everyone who is eligible for UI right now? Or do you think for example, they might only give me my original weekly allotment since I originally became unemployed in January and not in March as a result of the Covid? When reopening my claim, I see that there is an option in the drop down list for "Fired/Terminated" and "Fired/Terminated for Covid Related Reasons" Might this be the difference between being eligible for the Federal CARES act stipend?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 AM

146 posts, read 85,618 times
I believe you have to run around the block in your undies in order to qualify for the extra $600. It's either that or everyone that is eligible to claim weekly state benefits will qualify for the additional $600. It's one of those two things just cant remember which one sorry.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,807,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintBronner View Post
Hey everyone!

Hope all is well with you, first and foremost! (@Chyvan you still frequent these forums?!)

TL;DR: I originally applied for unemployment in late January. Would accepting UI benefits now make me eligible for the additional $600 weekly allotment?

I'm from CA and this is my situation:

-----------------------------------------------
On Late January 2020 I was fired from my job due to a policy violation. They originally wanted to accuse me of theft, but since they couldn't trace all the money I handled on that day, I understood it was settled as a (document/paperwork discrepancy). I talked to the HR manager and he said I qualify for unemployment as it was not a theft issue, merely a policy violation that resulted in the accounting being off (Nonetheless, i went back and looked at a picture of the termination write-up and I realized it did say Theft), but the incident description matched the discrepancy issue more.

Anyways, I went ahead and applied, and got all the usual letters with pre-approval / etc for upwards of ~10k and over ~$400 weekly. Eventually, I get a letter saying I was chosen for the dreaded phone interview (ugh!). Within this time frame, I reaggrevated a pre-existing injury and ended up going on SDI between all of this. I still ended up taking the phone interview with the EDD lady (it was worst than an actual job interview! I was terribly nervous and she kept pressing me for additional details and asked if I had been reprimanded before, which I had -- but for different reasons and I spilled all the beans. It was my first time applying for unemployment so I figured you just had to come clean and they would verify with employer). I did my best to explain to her that it was an unusual situation and an unfavorable outcome that I should not have been placed under in the first place. I wish I wouldn't have taken her call now.

Needless to say, she ended the conversation by saying they will let me know if I qualify for unemployment (which made me feel like they would deny my claim) and then she realized that I was on disability, and said that my UI application was actually not yet submitted as a result since SDI took priority.
Fast forward to now, my expected return to work date is this week and I am ready to look for work, so I planned on reapplying for UI. I opted to reopen my claim and it still shows my previously discussed allotments. It is asking me for a lot of the same information that I had entered before (reason for being unemployed, date last worked, etc). So now after reading various responses, I am choosing to merely putting "fired" as the reason for being terminated as opposed to the paperwork discrepancy.

The things I am wondering now are:

Does the EDD lady that called me store all the information I told her in my file, or was it discarded soon after she found out my application had taken the backburner as a result of SDI? Do you recommend I make a new claim, or just attempt to reopen? I really can't deal with my claim being denied at this time. The job I had been interviewing for this past two weeks officially told me they were halting all hiring until further notice. I'm wondering If I might have a better chance of it being approved by reopening claim right now with the EDD servers being overloaded, or if it might get denied if they are able to read all the details on the conversation.

Last but not least, do you think the additional weekly $600 applies to everyone who is eligible for UI right now? Or do you think for example, they might only give me my original weekly allotment since I originally became unemployed in January and not in March as a result of the Covid? When reopening my claim, I see that there is an option in the drop down list for "Fired/Terminated" and "Fired/Terminated for Covid Related Reasons" Might this be the difference between being eligible for the Federal CARES act stipend?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge!
Everyone who is collecting at least $1 of UI is getting the extra $600 (payable back to weeks starting with week ending 4/4). I know more than one person who already was on UI before COVID and got their extra $600 (NJ).

Old 04-14-2020, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Everyone who is collecting at least $1 of UI is getting the extra $600 (payable back to weeks starting with week ending 4/4). I know more than one person who already was on UI before COVID and got their extra $600 (NJ).
Thats what I figured, since you are still "impacted" by being able to job hunt through this pandemic. Just didnt outright state it in the FAQS and it confused me how there was now a new option that said you could were jobless because of the original reason, and the original reason + covid related. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment