Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 06:56 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,832 times

Advertisements

Question for friend whose claim finally went through for NJ. File date is 3/22 and first week to claim is 3/28. When she was let go due to corona (she worked in a gym) she was told that everyone would be paid through the 1st.

Where or how would she report this money since she technically didn't work during those weeks? Would it go under vacation or holiday pay questions? And would it all be included on the claiming week ending 3/28 even though it was money paid through the 1st?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,995 times
Yes, it would be vacation pay and would have to be claimed on both the week ending 3/28 and the week ending 4/4.

When was this paid?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Yes, it would be vacation pay and would have to be claimed on both the week ending 3/28 and the week ending 4/4.

When was this paid?
Date of the actual payment was 4/1. she said they called it half pay??

Old 04-12-2020, 12:29 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,995 times
If the payment is for hours not worked, but equates to hours worked, call it holiday pay.

If it does not add up, consider it a severance payment

Old 04-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
If the payment is for hours not worked, but equates to hours worked, call it holiday pay.

If it does not add up, consider it a severance payment
She said they told her they were paying her an average of what her weekly hrs/amounts were since being it's a gym she had some weeks with more hours normally worked than others. So "to be fair" they gave her an average weekly amount in the payment through April 1st.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:04 PM

23 posts, read 13,367 times
im very confuse about that i dont know how to answer that question i

Old 04-12-2020, 01:08 PM

23 posts, read 13,367 times
is anyone of you guys having delayed issues in approved application i applied march 15 and still pending it almost a month i had a monetary app this past 8 and they never called me i tried to call back but its impossible to get a person there only Gods knows where we going to be able to talk to a person I IF ANYONE OF YOU GUYS HAVING THE SAME ISSUES TELLS US PLEASE AND I WILL TELL U GUYS IIF I GET SOME NEWS THANKS U GUYS AND BE SAFE AND STAY SAFE

Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Follow up to this question. She was paid through April 1st and figured out hours to put down for that weeks claim. Now employer called her up out of the blue last week and said there's a check to pick up now thru April 14th with 15 hrs (which she obviously didn't work) and owner said we are going to start picking and choosing who gets paid for each week. No rhyme or reason just randomly picking who gets paid and when. This totally screws her up for claiming her unemployment and putting down any earnings after she already claimed weeks. She said when opened the claim she answered no to if she expected to be recalled by them because as she said she has no idea if they will call her back or not, which I agree with. Nothing in writing, not guarantee on anything. It's a gym she works at. What recourse does she have or does anyone have suggestions on what she should do. I told her not to email or text anything that could be held against her but I personally think owner is playing this game to avoid having his UI rate get dinged with all the claims filed. Anyone have any input or suggestions.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:09 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
I wonder if the employer in this case could try to deny the claim? Sounds like a small business owner who is trying to game the system. If you don't cash the check did you actually get paid? Sounds like this is picking a random worker or two a week to pay for what amounts to one days work a week.

Quarterly wage reports reflect total pay in any one quarter right? So long as she picks up this income when she certifies that he is passing out from time to time she might be OK declaring this as she goes.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I wonder if the employer in this case could try to deny the claim? Sounds like a small business owner who is trying to game the system. If you don't cash the check did you actually get paid? Sounds like this is picking a random worker or two a week to pay for what amounts to one days work a week.

Quarterly wage reports reflect total pay in any one quarter right? So long as she picks up this income when she certifies that he is passing out from time to time she might be OK declaring this as she goes.
Exactly what I told her. It is a small business owner of a gym and I said he's screwing around playing everyone. 21 yr old kid (basically.. yea I know they're adults..but they don't have S--- when it comes to experience in life). Yes she took the check and probably cashed it. I hadn't seen her since this happened to tell her not to cash the damn thing until she thinks it out. It burns me up when people try to take advantage and get over on young kids who've never collected a day of UI or know the rules of engagement.

I told her to check and see if it's coded any differently than regular paycheck.. like vacation, sick time, etc. Clearly for hours that she didn't work. And they have no paid vacation to begin with that I'm aware of or sick days etc.

Skipito any input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment