Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 03:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,325,407 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this seems like a dumb or overly basic question, but I've never had to file for unemployment before, and I'm having an issue with the online application. And since so many governmental offices are closed down and/or are operating on a severely restricted work force, I have not been able to speak with anyone directly for help on filing my unemployment claim.

My issue is that for the past several years I have been working independently as a pet sitter/dog walker and am having trouble adding this type of work to my unemployment application in the section where it asks for "what type of work do you do or what type of work did you do?" -- it doesn't allow me the option of typing in "pet sitter" or "dog walker" or "pet care" or anything related to the pet-care business, and it doesn't offer up anything pet-related when I use the job-search tool. So, basically, I can't move past this step on the unemployment application.

If anyone here may be able to offer a bit of help and/or guidance on how best to proceed, I would greatly appreciate it. I've tried calling the various numbers listed on the website in the hopes of speaking with someone, but I cannot directly reach a live person. The main help number geared towards helping with the employment application itself simply produces a recording that states "we are overloaded with calls and are unable to take your call at this time -- thank you, goodbye!"

I've tried several days now to reach someone to no avail. I even called and left a message with one of the local job/employment offices listed as "help centers", but again, no luck in reaching anyone.

Furthermore, I know that "gig workers" are now covered under the temporary unemployment guidelines set forth by the Trump Administration due to the effects of the COVID-19 crisis, so I definitely want to apply in the hopes of qualifying for some temporary monetary help. I know that certain restrictions likely apply, but I would like to give it a try nonetheless.

I'm in California and am using the EDD.Gov website to apply. Perhaps I'm using the wrong application considering that I am a gig worker?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 03:37 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,216,893 times
From all the articles I've read, they are in limbo about how to process the new "gig" worker applications. I don't think those applications are in place yet. Some states are telling people to wait until the new applications are in place before you apply.

(Disclaimer, I'm not an expert, I'm just passing on what I have read.)

Old 04-08-2020, 04:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,161,771 times
You’re over complicating it a little bit and trying to be too specific for an application that’s going to be denied (and needs to be denied) in order to transition from UI to PUA benefits.

Just enter it as “general labor” and then you can fill in about midway down where it asks about self employment related to COVID.

CA has not refined this very well, but a couple people are already in the pipeline that I know of.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
You’re over complicating it a little bit and trying to be too specific for an application that’s going to be denied (and needs to be denied) in order to transition from UI to PUA benefits.

Just enter it as “general labor” and then you can fill in about midway down where it asks about self employment related to COVID.

CA has not refined this very well, but a couple people are already in the pipeline that I know of.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I'm not very well versed at all when it comes to any of this.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your input. I haven't been able to speak to a live person at all, so it's helpful to receive some "real-time" info.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
From all the articles I've read, they are in limbo about how to process the new "gig" worker applications. I don't think those applications are in place yet. Some states are telling people to wait until the new applications are in place before you apply.

(Disclaimer, I'm not an expert, I'm just passing on what I have read.)
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. It's been such a hassle trying to navigate this unemployment claim considering how little "real time" help or guidance is available. Every number I call tells me to call another number, and when I do, it's a recording basically telling me that I can't be helped at the moment because too few agents/reps are available to handle all of the incoming calls.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:39 PM

The California EDD will be available to start accepting and processing PUA applications on 04/28. Better late than never I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment