Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM

15 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

I was laid off on Monday 2/11, and I applied for benefits on Friday 2/15. On Friday 2/22 I received a letter telling me I need to use CalJobs. I logged in to UI Online and it shows that I have $10,XXX approved.

Today 2/25 I saw an e-mail from EDD, "Weeks available to certify online". I logged in and I see that it asks me to certify for the weeks of 1/10 and 1/17.

1/10 was the week I was laid off, and though I applied online for several jobs I don't have records of it. From what I understand I'm not allowed to collect benefits for the first week anyway, so does it matter if I looked for work? Whether it matters or not, how do I fill out this form?

Have I been approved? My understanding is there was supposed to be a phone interview of some sort, but I never heard anything about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM

I guess a major question I have here is whether I should say I looked for work during the week of 1/10 after being laid off on Monday, as I'm not able to prove it. My understanding is that I would not be eligible for benefits during that week anyway. I did look for work that week and could claim I did, but I can't prove it. If I just say I didn't look for work during that first week, how will that affect my benefits?

Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Stop starting new threads with each issue. Your history is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdein View Post
I was laid off on Monday 2/11, and I applied for benefits on Friday 2/15. On Friday 2/22 I received a letter telling me I need to use CalJobs. I logged in to UI Online and it shows that I have $10,XXX approved.

Today 2/25 I saw an e-mail from EDD, "Weeks available to certify online". I logged in and I see that it asks me to certify for the weeks of 1/10 and 1/17.

1/10 was the week I was laid off,
This is contradictory. You say you were laid off on 2/11, and you applied in February, but yet you have claim forms for January.

Quote:
and though I applied online for several jobs I don't have records of it. From what I understand I'm not allowed to collect benefits for the first week anyway, so does it matter if I looked for work? Whether it matters or not, how do I fill out this form?
Yes, the first week matters. It's called "waiting week" credit. It's the first week you meet all qualifications including your week search, and then they don't pay you for it. If you don't look for work the first week, then you don't get credit, and then your 2nd week becomes your waiting week where you don't get paid for it, and then you're a week behind that could be lost to you depending on timing.

Just claim your benefits through web cert, and pray you're never asked about your work search. You don't have to prove that you looked for work. It's enough that you did, BUT it helps if you're asked so you can just give EDD the email confirmations, and if not, you're going to have to reconstruct it from memory, and hope that if the employers are contacted that they say, "yeah, we got an application."

Quote:
Have I been approved? My understanding is there was supposed to be a phone interview of some sort, but I never heard anything about that.
No, you have not been approved. Until you get waiting week credit or paid money, you won't know you've been approved.

You haven't had a phone interview because you applied as a "laid off" person. Only fired people and quitters get phone interviews. Until and unless your employer says your separation was something other than a "lay off," you're not having one. If you get scheduled for one, then you'll know that your employer isn't telling EDD that you were "laid off."

Quote:
should say I looked for work during the week of 1/10 after being laid off on Monday, as I'm not able to prove it.
It's up to you, but if I looked for work, I'd say I did, and worry about it later if I got called on the carpet.

However, you said in a prior thread that you suffer from something so maybe you should just play it safe because the worry will keep you up at night.

Last edited by Chyvan; 02-25-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Thank you. I followed your advice and certified those weeks. I see this on my profile:

Week 1 Certification Status
Pending for week ending 02/16/2019

Week 2 Certification Status
Pending for week ending 02/23/2019

----------

I did the certification on Friday. Is that why it is still pending today (Monday)?

I got the e-mail invitation to certify those first 2 weeks on Sunday 2/24. Should I have received another e-mail on Sunday 3/3 to certify for last week?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Quote:
Is that why it is still pending today (Monday)?
I'm not sure what you mean, but it's pending because you have NOT been approved yet.

Quote:
I got the e-mail invitation to certify those first 2 weeks on Sunday 2/24. Should I have received another e-mail on Sunday 3/3 to certify for last week?
You don't wait for emails (they may or may not come). You set up a schedule, and you apply on every other Sunday for the prior two weeks. You make it automatic. If you make a mistake, it will cost you in time getting your claim reopened, and might cause you to lose money. You FILE those claim forms and don't wait on EDD to give you permission. It's your right, and saying, "but I was waiting for an email from EDD to claim," is not a good excuse if you miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment