Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 01:15 PM

22 posts, read 18,603 times

Advertisements

Chyvan helped me last time and the situation was messy so I did not file. However I changed my mind and I filed for UI recently just to see if I can get some benefits and it doesn't hurt to try.

I did not pick up the call for my first phone interview.

Here is a Quick timeline:

-In January I'm told I would be laid off from my part-time job, my final work date was supposed to be in February.
-They offered me another position before my last day came around and I accepted it. (I have a voicemail message of this offer)
-1 month goes by and I see no changes in my schedule, I am told the jobs not available to me anymore.
-From here on alot of miscommunication from management and I ultimately am given restricted access to online work portal (where I access my schedule). No one knows why, they tell me to call helpdesk. I have proof of the error message.
-Ultimately I am told I am being scheduled in a Returns only department (no selling involved unlike my last position), something I never agreed to.
-I put in my 2 weeks and leave on good terms.

I file for UI 2 months after my last day worked. I put combo of Fired and Quit as reason from the dropdown menu.

After missing the phone interview, the worker left a message saying my employer stated I quit to go back to school. I stupidly put this as a reason on the resignation form I signed when I left, I didn't think I would file UI. Lesson learned.

Should I call her back or appeal and go to hearing. I'm currently not in school.

I also just recently got a job that is only on-call, so I'm given less hours than my previous part-time. It's with the same company but different location. Is Partial UI a possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
How long after the change in position did you submit your resignation?
Did you make any mention of the changing job or anything else that was a problem as the reason for resigning?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:11 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...alifornia.html

Don't waste your time, Rabrrita. She already asked me a bazillion questions. She did everything her own way. It's not working out so well, so she's just going to waste more time, do things her own way. Save your typing for someone that can follow instructions.

The key thing is that she submitted a letter of resignation saying, "quit to return to school." If there was a discharge in this mess, she turned it into a quit, and now she wants to be spoon fed when she showed that she couldn't follow directions from the last round.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 PM

The worker has given me until the end of tomorrow to call back according to the voicemail left. Otherwise a decision will be made with whatevers on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
How long after the change in position did you submit your resignation?
Did you make any mention of the changing job or anything else that was a problem as the reason for resigning?
I never worked a new position. They kept me working at my same job, even though I was being scheduled in that other department. When I found out I was being put in that dept eventually, I resigned. I didn't mention it on the form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...alifornia.html

Don't waste your time, Rabrrita. She already asked me a bazillion questions. She did everything her own way. It's not working out so well, so she's just going to waste more time, do things her own way. Save your typing for someone that can follow instructions.

The key thing is that she submitted a letter of resignation saying, "quit to return to school." If there was a discharge in this mess, she turned it into a quit, and now she wants to be spoon fed when she showed that she couldn't follow directions from the last round.
I followed all your advice. The first step I took when I heard of my lay-off was post here. What my employer did wasn't under my control.

When i put in my 2 weeks they gave me a resignation form to sign. I don't know if I could've bypassed signing it, and I clearly made a bad decision in writing "School" as a reason.

Last edited by bullseye22; 07-26-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye22 View Post
I followed all your advice.
No, you didn't.

You had an ugly situation, but you had a shot at UI.

You "quit," BEFORE you got more help. It's in writing. You will not be able to ever take that back if you try to tell a different story now. Your employer will use it, and because it was written by you, it will be accepted at face value.

Then you delayed for 2 months filing for UI because "you weren't sure you'd get it." Then you got a new job, and school is probably starting in three weeks.

You have been nothing but a total waste of time. You get help BEFORE you lose your job, BEFORE you apply for UI, BEFORE you have a phone interview. It's too late for you, and you're not worth the time to help anymore. You learned nothing.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 PM

Is there a chance to get Partial UI?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 PM

Why should I bother? You'll mess that up too.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:05 AM

All I know is that upon getting the eventual denial letter, there is a certain amount to earn at a new job to get back into the system. Then I reopen my claim. However, at this point would I be eligible to get Partial UI while still working or would there have to be another fire/layoff from this new job before I qualify for benefits? I have already gone over the formula to receive Partial UI if you are earning money as well.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:25 AM

Call EDD and ask them. I could tell you, but I'm ticked. You wasted my time. I don't get paid for this. I do this because I got tired of people getting ripped off by the UI people because the claimants didn't know any better.

However, you KNEW your situation was complex. I told you it was complex. You kept doing stuff on your own and then wasting more time trying to fix things on the backend rather than seeing things for what they were and acting accordingly.

Now, go find someone else to help you on the internet, or spend the time on hold to talk to a UI worker, and maybe get the best answers that are going to work for you.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
No, you didn't.

You had an ugly situation, but you had a shot at UI.

You "quit," BEFORE you got more help. It's in writing. You will not be able to ever take that back if you try to tell a different story now. Your employer will use it, and because it was written by you, it will be accepted at face value.

Then you delayed for 2 months filing for UI because "you weren't sure you'd get it." Then you got a new job, and school is probably starting in three weeks.

You have been nothing but a total waste of time. You get help BEFORE you lose your job, BEFORE you apply for UI, BEFORE you have a phone interview. It's too late for you, and you're not worth the time to help anymore. You learned nothing.
part of your advice was to not worry about it and focus on school, since the situation was a mess. So when I quit I had no plans to file UI. Now I thought I would give it a shot several months later. There was just too much miscommunication from my management. Although I do have some bits of evidence that I hope work in my favor in this appeal.

Online it shows on EDD's website I was disqualified in the weeks I filled out claim forms. I haven't got a Notice of Determination in the mail yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment