Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 22,565 times

Advertisements

Quick backstory:
I was laid off on June 23. Filed for unemployment the Tuesday following (which affected my eligibility for the week — understood). I was deemed ineligible for benefits during the first FOUR weeks due to a buyout/severance (vacation time, etc.).
I have sense gotten things rolling. I was paid for the week of July 29, and filed in a timely matter for my certification for the weeks of Aug. 5 and Aug. 12.
However, the status for both of the open certifications states "additional claim required". Of course, the Michigan unemployment office phone line is too busy to take calls. My usual appointment time with MARVIN at 11A on Tuesdays — so it's coming up here shortly.
Please advise. If I have to file a new claim entirely, as I believe to be the case (pleading ignorance here, I've never gone this far down the rabbit hole), will I have to go through the process with Michigan Works/ ITalent etc.?
Any information would be wonderful. Thanks all, God bless.
-R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:49 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
You can't file a new claim. You have a existing claim which has already paid out one week's benefits and which won't expire for a year. Wait for the interview.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 21,690 times
I am having the same issue here. I have never claimed unemployment, so this is all new to me as well. I just got my first payment, the rest says for the 3 weeks on there that additional claim is required. If I filed a claim already, and it lasts a year, then what is the additional claim required? Besides posting two job contacts for each week claiming, what else do they need? Shouldn't have to go through this. I was on Medical Leave when I got let go from my job.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,104,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierellis718 View Post
If I filed a claim already, and it lasts a year, then what is the additional claim required?
Because things can happen AFTER you apply and during periods when there is a gap in your weekly claims.

The system assumes that if there is a gap that you went back to work and that creates a NEW separation issue. In your case, it sounds like the "medical leave" left you not "able and available," and the purpose of the additional claim is to make sure that you're "cured." UI is not a sympathy system. It doesn't pay when you physically can't work, only when external things (like an employer) won't let you work.

Quote:
Besides posting two job contacts for each week claiming, what else do they need?
Lots of things.

Quote:
Shouldn't have to go through this. I was on Medical Leave when I got let go from my job.
You're complaining about the wrong thing. You want to scream "medical," and this is what happens to you. What you should be complaining about is that no one taught you this stuff or you'd have done a better job with your UI matters. That no where on the state website is this stuff documented. That when you call (if you can get through) that none of the $12/hr clerks tell you this stuff. That you have to go get help from anonymous strangers on the internet that have lived it.

You probably need to talk more about what happened with your job and your illness. Before you waste time filing an "additional claim," you need a doctor to say, "you're cured." Have you been to a doctor?

If you don't fill in the gaps with your story, you're just going to be disappointed that you wasted your time and didn't have all the pieces ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment