Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 PM

405 posts, read 574,779 times

Advertisements

So I hated my job, it was my first job out of college in a lab. Unfortunately, we had a severe black mold problem in our AC units. After asking the building to take care of it for 2 years I finally decided my health wasn't worth it and quit, then filed for unemployment stating I was fired which of course wasn't true. I appealed and my boss was on my side and brought up the mold and health issues but lost since I didn't attempt to wear a mask.

I was fined for the 6 months I received payments which was $6,498 and my penalty was $25,992.00 for a total of $32,490. So in 2014 I started my payments, 4 or so months later my penalty was reduced to $13,013 (not sure why), making my new total $19,511 which doesn't include interest. I continued my monthly payments, my 2015 tax return was taken in the amount of $5,000 and this year again it was taken in the amount of $10,700 which completed the debt due.

So would I do it again? The answer is yes, you can't put a price on happiness and health. Money can be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 PM

13,147 posts, read 21,095,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
So I hated my job, it was my first job out of college in a lab. Unfortunately, we had a severe black mold problem in our AC units. After asking the building to take care of it for 2 years I finally decided my health wasn't worth it and quit, then filed for unemployment stating I was fired which of course wasn't true. I appealed and my boss was on my side and brought up the mold and health issues but lost since I didn't attempt to wear a mask.

I was fined for the 6 months I received payments which was $6,498 and my penalty was $25,992.00 for a total of $32,490. So in 2014 I started my payments, 4 or so months later my penalty was reduced to $13,013 (not sure why), making my new total $19,511 which doesn't include interest. I continued my monthly payments, my 2015 tax return was taken in the amount of $5,000 and this year again it was taken in the amount of $10,700 which completed the debt due.

So would I do it again? The answer is yes, you can't put a price on happiness and health. Money can be replaced.
The story makes absolutely no sense!

If your former employer agreed that you had a just cause quit, especially if based on a workplace health hazard, you would not be denied benefits due to the quit and health reason., Unemployment most certainly recognizes health hazards as justifiable reasoning to quit a job! So there has to be a whole lot more to the story.

Even if they found you ineligible for benefits, the most they do is ask for their money back. You usually have years to pay ti back and interest is usually only charged if you could pay but decided not to pay. The only time a state can impose a Monetary penalty is when FRAUD is involved. Based on what you wrote, there was no fraud committed. About the only way I see them as coming up successfully with fraud would be if you admitted that the sole purpose of you saying Fired instead of Quit was to defraud the state.

So, something isn't; sitting right with this story. Unless you were in Michigan, not sure how it could have happened. What state did this occur in?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The story makes absolutely no sense!

If your former employer agreed that you had a just cause quit, especially if based on a workplace health hazard, you would not be denied benefits due to the quit and health reason., Unemployment most certainly recognizes health hazards as justifiable reasoning to quit a job! So there has to be a whole lot more to the story.

Even if they found you ineligible for benefits, the most they do is ask for their money back. You usually have years to pay ti back and interest is usually only charged if you could pay but decided not to pay. The only time a state can impose a Monetary penalty is when FRAUD is involved. Based on what you wrote, there was no fraud committed. About the only way I see them as coming up successfully with fraud would be if you admitted that the sole purpose of you saying Fired instead of Quit was to defraud the state.

So, something isn't; sitting right with this story. Unless you were in Michigan, not sure how it could have happened. What state did this occur in?
You guessed it, Michigan. Even though my boss testified and was on my side, it's solely up to the judge. Also I said that I was fired but I quit which is considered fraud. Do you think I would have had a different result in a different state?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,140,990 times
It wouldn't have been as expensive.

Here's the thing, you collected $6.5K saying you were "fired." How in the world did you collect so much before you got nailed? Usually, the employer says, "quit" right off the bat, and no money gets in your pocket.

I think you'd have had a different result if you just had the right kind of help through the process.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,168,749 times
appeal the penalty. it is too much of a penalty for the small crime, kawyer up!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,140,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
appeal the penalty.
I'm sure the time to do that is long past. She had two year's worth of tax refunds confiscated.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:25 PM

If Michigan, you need to contact your State Representative or call the Governor's office and tell them you were a victim of an illegal unemployment fraud determination with excess penalties and interest. They should take if from there. Did you have a completely separate hearing to decide if what you did was or wasn't fraud. There may be a chance you're situation may result in a over payment only determination which means everything paid in excess of the amount you were actual paid as benefits could be refunded.

Unfortunately the issue of the termination was also questionable but you may have missed the chance to appeal that determination and get approved for benefits after all.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It wouldn't have been as expensive.

Here's the thing, you collected $6.5K saying you were "fired." How in the world did you collect so much before you got nailed? Usually, the employer says, "quit" right off the bat, and no money gets in your pocket.

I think you'd have had a different result if you just had the right kind of help through the process.
Messed up system? They didn't find out until nearly a year later.

Last edited by sonyab523; 02-25-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
How in the world did you collect so much before you got nailed?
Yep, there is something really weird with what happened especially since the OP said they had to appeal which means a denial, so how was benefits being paid?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yep, there is something really weird with what happened especially since the OP said they had to appeal which means a denial, so how was benefits being paid?
I just went through my letters. Here's a timeline of what happened.

12/2012-Quit
01/2013-Started collecting payments
06/2013-Stopped collecting payments
10/2013-Received a letter-Request for Information Relative to Possible Ineligibility or Disqualification. If I didn't respond within 10 days they would automatically make a decision. I didn't respond.
10/2013-They determined I was a voluntary quit for personal reasons which weren't attributed to the employer
10/2013-They sent a letter disqualifying me from benefits
01/2014-Started making payments
02/2014-Appeal
03/2014-Hearing
01/2015-Appeal

Last edited by sonyab523; 02-25-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment