Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:54 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic_jane View Post
Just wondering if this is common to "use" leftover employees, then purge
Mod cut.

Now, if it was 90 days ago, and you wanted to know if you had to accept the "new" offer of employment or just collect your UI and be done with it, then that would raise a lot of great scenarios that I wish more people understood so they wouldn't have to go through what you're going through now.

I can picture a situation where your coworkers snatched up the available jobs, and you being retained has put you at a disadvantage.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,917,645 times
You are so overthinking this. We won't be able to tell you anything.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 11,608 times
why would you say that, I wonder ? Have you been fired before? Have you experienced the shock to your senses this experience creates? What;s wrong with looking for some insight from those who have experienced similar.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
Would it make sense to assume that they used me to show them around for 90 days and then I was disposable?
Yes. Never take a discharge personally. Reasons could be many - #1 being they don't want any vestiges of the old culture. Has nothing to do with you. Very common even for new supervisors to clean house in a department and get their own people. Most employees are very sincere and conscientious - and feel as you do - which is too bad. It has nothing to do with you. It's just business. At least they aren't contesting your benefits. Many employers lie in a situation like yours and accuse of the employee of some form of misconduct which can, at the very least, delay benefits - if not deny them entirely.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:10 PM

29,624 posts, read 23,146,103 times
Yes it sucks to get let go, especially when you are in the process of looking elsewhere. The humiliation, the hurt, the anger. I get all of that. It's like being dumped by your partner before you get a chance to dump him/her. It sucks.

That said, most people never get the 'real' reason why they were let go.

It could be anything.

But that's life.

Nothing you can do about it, and hopefully the OP isn't desperate enough to start looking for any little reason to think about a lawsuit or the like.

A company can hire and fire any employee at any time as they wish. It is their business right to do so.

Sucks, but after one is done venting, time to move on and find another job.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,102,838 times
Go for unemployment. I don't like what happened to you.
I doubt it was your fault if they can't explain clearly why you were fired.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,550,542 times
Quote:
why would you say that, I wonder ? Have you been fired before? Have you experienced the shock to your senses this experience creates? What;s wrong with looking for some insight from those who have experienced similar.
Yes. Because it does no good because ... this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

It could be anything.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,553,568 times
Quote:
fair questions and here are my answers: tardiness was not an issue per se. I was just gasping for straws in trying to figure out what may have happened. My co-worker (came with new company as a transfer) has an actual history of lateness but of course, she was let go. Mind you, if this was the real reason, this would have been addressed? By the way, I work at a state where employment at will is the name of the game.

As to job search from work computer: absolutely not. I am a professional and would like to think a fairly intelligent person.

I DID HOWEVER, asked the new employer if they have other positions closer to my home (they denied) and then I responded with "hmm, they're being advertised on Linkedin)- again, gasping for straws here.
When you responded with "hmm, they're being advertised on Linkedin" someone might have picked up that you were looking elsewhere.
They also could have thought to retain you at first then realized your postition wasn't really needed.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM

thanks for your response. The first scenario is plausible (them realizing I was looking) but the position is very much needed.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM

oh wow, finally some good insight here. I am just so naive and inexperienced I suppose thinking if I did well on the job, I was "safe" I feel like a fool now. I'm also experiencing this weird feeling of "I thought I did so well because clients told me so" and no issues with my performance were ever brought to my attention, so therefore, if there was a problem, why wasn't I able to sense it? I've gotten to even paranoid like way of thinking that perhaps my phone was bugged and they heard me whining about how I missed my old boss (I realize this is a bit irrational thinking)

And there's the culture thing. I just don't get it. Are there really that many ways of going about business. Again, I know I'm just inexperienced in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment