Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

So, I applied for a company. I didn't realize it was a recruiting company but I don't want to continue with the lead. Is refusing a recruiter (one that I applied for) considered refusing work (refusing to work with them when they call via telephone)? They didn't offer me anything, just that they had positions in my field of work.

Thank you,
Mackenzie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:10 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Unless their offer looks like this, you may chose to not pursue it nor report it:

"We are offering you a job as a telephone customer service rep. The job starts on Monday. You will be paid $10/hr. The hours are 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday with an hour for lunch at noon. You will be expected to take incoming calls and should handle 60 calls per hour.

Do you want to come work for us?"

That is what an offer looks like. If they say things like, "we will hire you after you complete a background check," or " . . . drug test," "after you are interviewed by a three-person panel." Those are NOT job offers, and if you don't want to go, just don't bother anymore.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:28 PM

Thank you for your response. The job I applied for (recruiting company posting), they are not the ones who will be hiring me. I'm okay just not following up right?

What if say I'm a software engineer, and I get an email offering me a sales job that's not even in my field because they found my resume on a job site and they actually do offer me a job? I can also not follow up on that is that correct? Since that job is not in my area of expertise.

Also (not the case) but hypothetically let's say I apply to a company in my field and they offer me an interview but I don't want to follow up on it (this is an actual company that can hire me and not a recruiting company) and I deny the interview because I don't like the job scope, does that count as refusal of work?

What is the wording in the unemployment refusal of work section that states this?

Thank you.

Last edited by mackenzie4; 06-18-2016 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: added a question

Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie4 View Post
What if say I'm a software engineer, and I get an email offering me a sales job that's not even in my field because they found my resume on a job site and they actually do offer me a job? I can also not follow up on that is that correct? Since that job is not in my area of expertise.
No. If you got an offer from McDonald's that looks like what I posted, then you'd have to refuse the job and properly report it on the claim form. Could be that you didn't even apply at McDonald's but maybe someone you knew thought they were doing you a favor.

You are allowed to refuse work so long as it's NOT suitable. Problem is that most claimants have no clue what suitable work looks like or how to make an offer look unsuitable so they mistakenly believe they can't refuse ANY work.

Doesn't matter, just know what an offer looks like. You can't control an offer, but you can control where you apply to, so only apply for actual jobs that you want.

When you get desperate, then by all means do what you feel you have to do.

Quote:
Also (not the case) but hypothetically let's say I apply to a company in my field and they offer me an interview but I don't want to follow up on it (this is an actual company that can hire me and not a recruiting company) and I deny the interview because I don't like the job scope, does that count as refusal of work?
Technically, no. However, if the employer knows you're on UI, they might report you and try to make a case for preclusion, but see above ONLY APPLY FOR JOBS YOU WANT. If in doubt, move along. You can come back to your 2nd choice jobs AFTER your UI runs out, or you get desperate.

Quote:
What is the wording in the unemployment refusal of work section that states this?
It's not there, but you can study this, and I have practical experience as a two time job refuser and kept my benefits both times.

Suitable Work - Table of Contents

Old 06-19-2016, 01:05 AM

Thanks, that help a lot!

Just one more question, so can a recruiter potentially report it to unemployment that I didn't follow up with them? Even though they themselves cannot offer me a job?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
can a recruiter potentially report it to unemployment that I didn't follow up with them? Even though they themselves cannot offer me a job?
Yes. Anyone can report you. Even your witch of a neighbor because she knows you're on UI and thinks that means you have to babysit her kids or mow her lawn because she mistakenly believes that you can't refuse any work. However, just because a third party sees it as a refusal doesn't mean that you get dinged for not reporting it yourself. An "offer" has a very specific meaning that is very much in the claimant's favor. Most employers do not really make what could be considered an offer for UI purposes.

However, an educated claimant with sufficient resources to endure the turn off in benefits can almost always win. There are a lot of protections in a refusal of work that a claimant just doesn't have when they quit a job. Trust me on this.

Your benefits will be suspended when a refusal issue arises, but they will retro pay you for all missed weeks if you succeed so be sure to have money in the bank or credit cards with at least 4 weeks of expenses at all time so that you aren't in a situation that you have to sell yourself short because it was either take a job out of desperation or have your finances irreparably damaged because the delay in benefits was more than you could handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment