Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Been reading these forums and have yet to find a situation exactly like mine.

For the past 2 years or so, I lived and worked full time in NYC. During this time, I was working towards a Masters in Childhood Education online. After 2 years working for a company in the city, I left in September 2015 to begin student teaching. After graduating in December, my girlfriend, who had also just graduated, found a job in PA. I followed her to PA, where I was hired through a company that contracts out employees to schools as a para-educator. I think this is important as I was not an employee of the school, but of the hiring company. I worked this position from March 7th-June 3rd when the school year ended.

The company actually sent us information for filing for unemployment as many of the employees use that to make it through the summer. I first tried PA, but was told in a letter that I needed to file in NY because all of my base year earnings are in NY. So last Thursday I applied for New York. I have yet to receive my monetary decision Though today I did claim for last week as I was directed to do by the representative on the phone.

I am just wondering if I should be expecting any problems. My New York base year qualifies for the unemployment. From what I have read, leaving my NY job for school wasn't a good enough reason, but I have completed the 8 week 10x earning requirement at my new job in PA. Also, I am not an employee of an educational institution, which would disqualify me. Am I missing something else that I should be prepared to explain should I be asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 56,778,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan6089 View Post
I am just wondering if I should be expecting any problems. My New York base year qualifies for the unemployment. From what I have read, leaving my NY job for school wasn't a good enough reason, but I have completed the 8 week 10x earning requirement at my new job in PA. Also, I am not an employee of an educational institution, which would disqualify me. Am I missing something else that I should be prepared to explain should I be asked?
As you describe your situation, an employee of an independent agency, not the school district itself, you should be OK. Focus on the fact that you were a temp worker on contract through an agency. That you were sent to a school to work until the end of the school year is not relevant. What is relevant, is the contract ended, therefore you are unemployed. Further, without a contract for the following school year, even if you were a school employee, you are still eligible for benefits.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM

I received my monetary decision today.

Her is my timeline so far.

6/3: Last day of work
6/9: Applied in NY
6/16: Receive monetary determination

When should I expect to find out if I am eligible and be able to claim my benefits?

Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 56,778,626 times
You can should be able to claim your benefits online beginning this Sunday, although week ending 6/18 is your unpaid waiting week. Nonetheless you must claim this week. Continue claiming whether or not you receive an approval from NY. Depending on your circumstances you might start seeing some money in two-three weeks. If your situation requires investigation, it may take a few weeks beyond that. Keep claiming. NY can't pay weeks which have not been claimed, and most states are not willing to pay benefits retro for weeks not claimed on a timely basis.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 AM

Thank you! When I first spoke to the representative last week, I was told I had to make a claim Wednesday 6/15 (I did) and Sunday 6/18 like you are saying. Seems like everything is on track so far. Fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment