Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 954 times

Advertisements

Hello I really hope someone can help me since it's my first time being on unemployment and not too sure how the system works.I was laid off from my previous employer on December 2015 and was granted unemployment benefits .I have been searching for a decent job this past months with no luck.
Around May 2016 I landed a what I thought good job at the time as a secretary.On my second day working I was already on payroll and the owner gave me the office keys.On the third day one of the workers made a huge mistake on the job site so he was in a terrible attitude all day.Towards the end of the day I asked him a question he blew up and said "do you not have a brain ...I can already tell it is not going to work out ".I was so shocked I just gave him he's keys back and he cut me a check for 3 days.On the certification formed mailed out I filled out the amount I got paid and the info and my reason no longer working.The following week I got a notification of a phone interview scheduled a month later to see if I was still eligible.I got the phone call from EDD and she asked about why I no longer work as a secretary and I explained why and got my benefits granted for the month I was on hold.Today I got a letter from Edd saying my former employer has appealed the department's decision finding me eligible for benefits and to be make an effort to attend this hearing?????Do I need to show up to the hearing ?What is going on and why am I receiving this letter PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 AM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiegee View Post
he blew up and said "do you not have a brain ...I can already tell it is not going to work out ".I was so shocked I just gave him he's keys back and he cut me a check for 3 days.
You need to make your story sound as much like you were fired as possible.

Quote:
Do I need to show up to the hearing ?What is going on and why am I receiving this letter PLEASE HELP
Yes! Especially if you were granted benefits because of a quit with good cause. In a quit, the burden is on you, and if you don't tell your story (correctly), then you're going to get cut off, and have an overpayment.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 AM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
Do I need to show up to the hearing? What is going on and why am I receiving this letter
Indeed, you must attend this hearing or employer will win by default. He may not appear at all, in which case you win again.

On what basis is he appealing? Is he calling this a quit or is he alleging misconduct? If you don't know, call EDD to find out.

This will either be a he said/she said - you believed you were discharged when he said this wasn't going to work out and he will deny making that statement, or he is making up another lie.

Report back when you know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment