Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 135,081 times

Advertisements

Just applied for unemployment and received the wage determination ($306.00) a day later via the online system (District of Columbia) my work history is complicated

September 2015 - resigned from job I was at for 4 years
October 2015 - started the job that I was just let go from on June 8, 2016. This was a work from home side job and I made probably only 2200 total in 2015, and only 2000 total this year. They (the company) informed me that I may quality for unemployment benefits so thats why I started the process

Not sure if this matters:
In November of 2015 I worked at a temp agency for 2 jobs, ended in January 2016
In April of this year through May I worked another side job that is seasonal work, I earned probably around 6k. This job is over for now, have not worked since May 18th, but did not receive any notice of termination and the company will contact me next year for work

I am surprised at the determination because I barely made any money from the job I am listing as being let go from. I have no work as of right now but I['m worried that the amount of jobs I've had and the amount actually made from one of the jobs I happen to be "let go" from will prevent me from getting approved. I'm just trying to know what to expect

Can anyone give insight on this situation? Do I have a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM

13,179 posts, read 21,352,783 times
A wage determination from the Distinct is based on all employment (anywhere in the US), from about April 1 2015 to current excluding periods not calculated as base period. A Wage Determination is just saying that based on wage information reported, IF YOU ARE APPROVED for benefits, that is probably what you will get unless some of those wages end up being excluded due to them being disqualified.

All employers you worked for in your base period will be contacted and asked why you were let go from employment. In DC, if any reason is provided that amounts to those listed as being a disqualification (you quit, fired for misconduct, absenteeism, tardiness, job abandonment, etc) they will require an interview to determine exactly what occurred and if you will have those wages removed from consideration and if the reason will cause a disqualification from benefits.

You can help us by going back 18 months and list the dates of employment, if full or part time, approximate wages each month, what state were they located in, and the reason for not working for them anymore. Just list Company A, Company B, etc. Also are you a in DC or one of the other states comprising the conjoined labor market for DC?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:47 PM

repeat

Last edited by JusSeenSallie; 06-10-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A wage determination from the Distinct is based on all employment (anywhere in the US), from about April 1 2015 to current excluding periods not calculated as base period. A Wage Determination is just saying that based on wage information reported, IF YOU ARE APPROVED for benefits, that is probably what you will get unless some of those wages end up being excluded due to them being disqualified.

All employers you worked for in your base period will be contacted and asked why you were let go from employment. In DC, if any reason is provided that amounts to those listed as being a disqualification (you quit, fired for misconduct, absenteeism, tardiness, job abandonment, etc) they will require an interview to determine exactly what occurred and if you will have those wages removed from consideration and if the reason will cause a disqualification from benefits.

You can help us by going back 18 months and list the dates of employment, if full or part time, approximate wages each month, what state were they located in, and the reason for not working for them anymore. Just list Company A, Company B, etc. Also are you a in DC or one of the other states comprising the conjoined labor market for DC?
April 205 - September 2015 - Company A - Quit because I hated the job. In that time period I probably made about 12k
October 2015 - June 2016 - Company B - Laid off, only made about 4,000
November 2015 - January 2016, and then again in Feb 2016 for 1 week - Company C - Made about 3,500 dollars, this was a temp agency, assignments ended
April 2016 - May 2016 - Company D - Made about 6,000...job ended because it is seasonal work

Also
October 2015 - Company E lol - I may have made about 1,000 here...maybe less..I quit after 2 weeks.

After I left my job I started working remote work from home jobs..and temp agencies. I quit 2 jobs, temp jobs ended, seasonal work job ended, and I was let go from one job.

If what you say is true then if I am approved it seems like the weekly amount will be less than nothing and I might not even qualify for the minimum. I am actually located in DC, not MD or VA

Old 06-10-2016, 05:03 PM

13,179 posts, read 21,352,783 times
Although work and wages can be disqualified due to a quit, they can also be purged by working X period for Y dollars. Because it;s a bit complicated to calculate (and I'm too lazy to do it) others will chime in soon and hopefully figure the numbers out for you. From my basic reading, it looked like you purged the two quits from 2015.

To assist, on your monastery determination letter, what is the date of your benefit year (usually start the day to claim and ends 1 year from that date)? This lets us know what your base period will be. I don;t think DC uses an alternative period if you had actual wages (used or disqualified) in the standard base period.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusSeenSallie View Post
April 205 - September 2015 - Company A - Quit because I hated the job. In that time period I probably made about 12k
October 2015 - June 2016 - Company B - Laid off, only made about 4,000
November 2015 - January 2016, and then again in Feb 2016 for 1 week - Company C - Made about 3,500 dollars, this was a temp agency, assignments ended
April 2016 - May 2016 - Company D - Made about 6,000...job ended because it is seasonal work

Also
October 2015 - Company E lol - I may have made about 1,000 here...maybe less..I quit after 2 weeks.

If what you say is true then if I am approved it seems like the weekly amount will be less than nothing and I might not even qualify for the minimum. I am actually located in DC, not MD or VA
There's no reason to expect "less than nothing." You wouldn't have received the $306 determination if there weren't wages in DC's database to support that number. In your case, DC is using a base period of Jan-Dec. 2015. Even though you may have quit one or more of those jobs, subsequent to that you probably earned enough to purge any penalty for the quit, so those wages should remain in the base period. Depending on how many employers need to be contacted, it may take a while to get an approval - DC may require an interview. For now, just wait.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Thank you all, fingers crossed

The claim date is June 8, 2016..so it goes 1 year back you're saying?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
Not exactly. We're saying that for purposes of computing your unemployment benefit, they use 1 years worth of wages, and currently that time frame is from Jan 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2015.

However, for determining whether you're eligible because of the reason you were separated from your job, that depends on how long you worked there, how much money you made, and if the state cancels wage credits for disqualifying separations. What this means to you is that if you didn't work at your most recent employer long enough, the UI people will look back as to the reason you lost your 2nd (or more) to last employer. If you didn't earn enough, they will again look back to your 2nd (or more) to last employer(s). If the state cancels wage credits for disqualifying separations, then you could have your benefits slashed, but this is a rare provision.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...onmonetary.pdf for this table on page 5-11, DC requires: 10 weeks of work and wages equal to 10 x WBA

There are mistakes in here, so it's not gossip. If you worked at least 10 weeks and earned $3060 since your last disqualifying separation, then you're safe.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Thank you..seems like if they take into account my temp work that then hopefully I will be okay. I quit the last job in October, and then started the temp agency in November. So I was working the temp jobs and the one I was let go from at the same time for a total of probably 6k. I guess all I can do is wait, Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment