Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:39 PM

128 posts, read 372,851 times

Advertisements

I'm currently getting EDD benefits and got two job offers this week. I obviously have to decline one of them so technically I did refuse work. If I answer truthfully when I certify for weeks, would answering "Yes" to refusing work disqualify me from getting paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
It will certainly suspend your benefits while the refusal is investigated, but no, refusals are not automatic disqualifications.

In today's world, you may not want to refuse the offer anyway. Could be that you'll start the one job, hate it, quit, and want the other one. Instead of refusing, just negotiate a later start date, and then if your first choice job is working out, then just call them and tell them you changed your mind.

Employers should be getting used to this because we have enough threads where someone quit a perfectly good job to accept what they thought was a better one, and then the employer called after the damage was done and rescinded.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It will certainly suspend your benefits while the refusal is investigated, but no, refusals are not automatic disqualifications.

In today's world, you may not want to refuse the offer anyway. Could be that you'll start the one job, hate it, quit, and want the other one. Instead of refusing, just negotiate a later start date, and then if your first choice job is working out, then just call them and tell them you changed your mind.

Employers should be getting used to this because we have enough threads where someone quit a perfectly good job to accept what they thought was a better one, and then the employer called after the damage was done and rescinded.
How is the refusal investigated? If I select "yes", will I have to provide an explanation?

I thought about revoking it at a later date but I didnt feel right about it. Don't want them to invest resources only for me to plan on never working there. It's a debatable topic.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisthumper View Post
If I select "yes", will I have to provide an explanation?
Eventually.

Rejecting because you already accepted another job might be good cause. I just hope this isn't a case that the job you are accepting starts a month from now, and the job you are rejecting is one you could have started tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Eventually.

Rejecting because you already accepted another job might be good cause. I just hope this isn't a case that the job you are accepting starts a month from now, and the job you are rejecting is one you could have started tomorrow.
The second offer(which I took) came 48 hours after the first. Both would have me start ASAP pending background check and drug test.

I'm a bit surprised the explanation isnt asked for right away.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inframan View Post
Just say no for now. Start your new job and make sure everything is on the up and up. Once you do that, than call in to let your case officer know you started a new job. In my state, refusal means you decline work even tho you was available to work. That will stop your benefits right away. So might want to get with your case worker first before you *********rself out of wages.
Will I be automatically assigned a case manager if I answer Yes? What state are you in?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
pending background check and drug test.
Do NOT report a refusal in this situation. An offer is: We want you to start Monday. Your duties will be . . . . You will work 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. Your pay will be . . . .

When there is a contingency that you must pass, then these are NOT offers within the meaning of the UI system.

For the same reason that you might quit a perfectly good offer for a better job, and the UI system will deny a claimant (if the state even allows such a quit) because the job offer had a contingency and therefore a reasonable person wouldn't rely on that in deciding to give up existing employment.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Do NOT report a refusal in this situation. An offer is: We want you to start Monday. Your duties will be . . . . You will work 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. Your pay will be . . . .

When there is a contingency that you must pass, then these are NOT offers within the meaning of the UI system.

For the same reason that you might quit a perfectly good offer for a better job, and the UI system will deny a claimant (if the state even allows such a quit) because the job offer had a contingency and therefore a reasonable person wouldn't rely on that in deciding to give up existing employment.
It's too late; I already called the first employer and told them I won't accept. I've already had a background check with this agency before in '13 that came back clear. This is the agency that the company I did accept the offer from will use. I also don't do drugs. There's a small risk that I can accept. In this case, do I have to report a refusal?

I do want to get paid from EDD for this week though. I don't mind a delay if it wants to investigate but I do want it to understand the circumstances that led me to refusing my offer.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
In this case, do I have to report a refusal?
No, because it was never an offer in the first place. When you declined the job, what you really did was reject the employer's offer to participate in a drug test and background check.

Quote:
I do want it to understand the circumstances that led me to refusing my offer.
You will have that opportunity IF the rejected employer reports what they might perceive as a "refusal" to EDD. If you even have to bother with telling your side of the story, then you can tell EDD, "the employer wanted me to submit to a drug test and a background check with the understanding that if they found them acceptable I would begin working there. It wasn't an unequivocal offer of employment, and I went with a different employer instead."

Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Will I be automatically assigned a case manager if I answer Yes? What state are you in?
In your state, there are no "case managers". There are staffers who handle different issues within EDD. If you report a refusal (and I'm not sure this even meets the regulatory definition of a "job offer") the next person in rotation in the office that handles those issues, will have your issue handed to them and they will contact you if they need additional information. Just keep filing and monitoring your on-line status to see if anything changes.

Since you are in CA, there are state specific regulations pertaining to job offers for the purpose of background, drug and credit checks. You will receive an offer letter but that offer letter is not the same type of offer unemployment is talking about. So, you will read all sorts of conflicting items but as Chyvan mentioned, from EDD's point of view, a legitimate employment offer has no contingencies you must meet. If you pass the check and they remove any contingency, now that becomes the offer EDD is using
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment