Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 617 times

Advertisements

I should receive my first UI chk this week, $188. I was layed off from office clerk position, worked full time then was cut to 30-35 hrs wk when Obama no care went thru. I was making $11.37 hr. A job placement agency located & offered an 8 wk temp position as office assistant at $10 hr. This is not a position I've ever done, would have to drive 45 mi a day.
The pay is comparable, not sure I qualify for assistant though. If I take the job, will it lessen my UI? I understand I will probably have UI suspended or closed & have to reopen after 8 wks. Also, I need full time, if take temp will that mean I have to take temp offers in the future? What if I take job & they decide I'm not qualified & let me go?
Thanks for your help, suppose to let them know by tomorrow.
Anni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,095,734 times
First off, you should NEVER race out and apply to temp agencies when you first get laid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget55 View Post
This is not a position I've ever done, would have to drive 45 mi a day.
Doesn't matter if you've never done it before. You applied for it, and it was offered to you. The employer thinks you can do it, and that's all that matters. The only way out and to keep your benefits is to have the job declared "unsuitable." Job titles aren't the basis of suitability, duties are. Is that round-trip or one-way? It may or may not be too far.

Quote:
The pay is comparable, not sure I qualify for assistant though.
No, the pay isn't comparable. In the earlier days of a UI claim, around 5% would be comparable. What you're being offered is about a 12% cut in pay after being out of work for a week. Do you think you suddenly lost that much value to the world?

Quote:
If I take the job, will it lessen my UI? I understand I will probably have UI suspended or closed & have to reopen after 8 wks.
No, you'll simply resume where you left off.

Quote:
if take temp will that mean I have to take temp offers in the future?
If they are suitable, then yes. However, because you did work temp, they will look a lot more suitable than when you just don't apply nor take them.

Quote:
What if I take job & they decide I'm not qualified & let me go?
It'll be a discharge, and you'll have to go through a misconduct determination, and temp agencies are pretty good at that.

Also, even when the job ends, there are still some gotchas that temp agencies can throw your way, and it's no guarantee that you'll get back on UI.

Stay away from temp agencies unless it's a really good job or your UI is over. When it's no money vs some money, the decision is usually pretty obvious. When it's a UI check vs some money, it's not so clear cut, and it'll drive you into an uncontrollable rage when you think you're doing the right thing, and then you end up losing the job and your UI because you just didn't know that it could be so difficult working for a temp agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment