Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 PM

96 posts, read 169,765 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES.

I will keep you updated with developments. I had NO idea I could phone the claims examiner directly? Then again, I've never had to file for UE before.

This year, with getting laid off, and a health crisis back in February has been a nightmare for me.

About a month ago, I was cleaning out my desk drawer and I actually threw away my separation notice. Something told me I should hold onto it, however just "in case".

I don't know if the ER is intentionally lying, but now you have sparked suspicion. I think I'll follow up with my HR tomorrow just to try to explain the situation. My separation letter is very detailed, and it's obvious I didn't quit. I even have emails of reports I was working on the very day I was let go!

Do you think it would be acceptable to call the claims examiner tomorrow to inquire if she received my fax, and if HR called her back?

TY again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM

25,623 posts, read 56,789,643 times
Do NOT call your HR people.

Yes - do call claims examiner, asking if she received faxed documents - AND - telling her you left message with HR manager to call claims examiner. You'll only get her VM, anyway.

Ask claims examiner in your VM:
  1. if you need to do more follow up with the HR people, or is one message enough.
  2. does claims examiner need evidence you did, in fact, call the HR person.
In other words, don't allow NJ to 'assume' you didn't hold up your end.

But, again, DO NOT call (or email) your employer. Expect employer to lie. They usually do.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Ariadne22, thank you for your advice. I almost wish I hadn't called HR to begin with, but that is what the examiner instructed me to do, in addition to faxing my separation notice. The examiner seemed most interested with the letter I received the day I was let go.

Now who knows if HR will even respond, she could be on vacation for all I know, but I will call the examiner tomorrow directly and let her know I left HR a vm.

This is very scary.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 PM

13,177 posts, read 21,320,522 times
Just so the confusion stops, can you provide the exact timeline and events from the FIRST claim to present as I wasn't aware (as you didn't mention in this post) that this was a continuation of another claim. These are the details I was talking about!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM

Sure -

Approved for benefits from 6/29 - 8/20 after I was let go from ER #1 (was with them a long time)

RTW at a new company 8/21 as they asked me to start earlier than anticipated.

Was let go 9/15 b/c my computer skills were not good enough for the position, was advised I'm NOT ineligible for re-hire in the future.

Called to re-open my claim on 9/16 and had my claims examiner phone interview this morning in which I was advised the employer said I quit. Faxed over my sep. notice to the claims examiner per request which states I'm being let go involuntarily, and left a vm for my HR person who let me go on 9/15.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
I almost wish I hadn't called HR to begin with, but that is what the examiner instructed me to do,
You had to do this. I'm just saying, don't contact HR again beyond what the claims examiner instructed.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Good Point - at least phone records can show when I called.

What I don't understand is, why didn't the c/e call HR with me on the line? I offered the c/e HR's #, and she didn't want it??

The first c/e I had back in June placed a call to HR with me on the line, asked why I was let go and that was that.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
Good Point - at least phone records can show when I called.

What I don't understand is, why didn't the c/e call HR with me on the line? I offered the c/e HR's #, and she didn't want it??

The first c/e I had back in June placed a call to HR with me on the line, asked why I was let go and that was that.
I agree. As I said upthread, examiner asking YOU to ask HR mgr to call examiner is very odd - and can put you in the trick bag. Which is why it is important you let examiner know you called HR people. Won't prevent a denial, but at least you're on record you held up your end.

Keep track of all this, in the event you need to contact your state rep. Imo, examiner was out of line passing on her responsibility to you,

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,275,372 times
Just for kicks, I think you should try to call the examiner. I bet there is no answer, busy, or voice mail. Which then makes me wonder why have you call the employer, I don't think they could get through if they even tried.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 PM

I agree Chyvan. The examiner did state that HR could leave her a vm. When I called HR today, I was really hoping the HR manager would have picked up, and we could have done a 3 way call with the c/e. But, all I was able to do was leave a message.

I'm going to phone my c/e tomorrow, just to make sure she received my fax with my separation letter. I really hope it will suffice as it clearly states I did not quit. HR, my manager and I had about a 30 minute discussion the day I was termed. The company is a big company and HR seemed very nice as she was walking me through the process. She even provided me with the tax ID for their co. so I could "apply for benefits right away". I have all this in writing, too. Very strange if this is in fact deliberate. More to come.......

TY again, truly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment