Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM

242 posts, read 500,283 times

Advertisements

i have a question and i reside in PA
i was laid off work on sept 4, 2014.
i filed for unemployment. i worked at this job only 5 months. but before working here i worked out of state. i quit the out of state job when my mom fell and i had to move home to help her out. anyway, they went back 18 months to determine my unemployment. they also had to wait for paperwork from my out of state job.
so i started getting unemployment, 3 weeks so far. just got a call today from unemployment. the lady said that she received a letter back from this last employer that laid me off due to budget cuts, that i was discharged due to poor job performance. she also went on to write that she had warned me once before and i did not listen and i had many complaints. hello.... i never even met this woman that was my boss, her hours were daytime and mine were at night, she is new being there only 3 months. i never got a warning for anything nor was i ever late, never called off work and never to my knowledge had a customer complaint. so i told the lady from the unemployment office today the name of the supervisor that told me i was laid off and also the manager that i still talk to that also knows that i was laid off. so the lady from unemployment said she was going to call them. she also told me that if they should say that i was discharged that i can appeal it and go to labor court. which of course i will do. although i cannot see the other two supervisors lying but you never know, they don't want to get fired from their jobs for sticking up for me and telling the truth.
second question is this, i have been working part time doing work on the computer for a company that does ratings for web browsers. i had to sign a 1099 and the work is on a first come first serve basis. some weeks i get nothing and usually i work maybe 5 hours per week. you must work 10 hours a week if work is there but no more than 20 hours per week. i average about 100 - 150 per month doing this part time job.you get paid in your bank account 2 months later. remember, i work a full time job and this part time ob has no work available when i sign on usually. if i claim one week i work for example, 600 minutes per week, when i get paid they always come up with less minutes to pay me. like they will say i only worked 400 minutes and i must change it or my time sheet will not be approved. usually this always happens where they never pay me what i work. anyway, that is another story.
back to my question, will i lose my unemployment benefits since i claimed that i earned 50 one week and 75 the other week. the unempl wants to know the name of company to ask them my status. well, being independent contractor, will this mean that i get no unemply? i am graded each month on my job performance with my contractor job and there is not always work since it is a first come first serve basis. i work from home on my own computer and go into their website to do work that might be available.if no work available then i do not have to meet the minimum of 10 hours week.
hope you can understand this. sorry so sloppy. in a depressing mood right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:43 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,553,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i have a question and i reside in PA

i was laid off work on sept 4, 2014. i filed for unemployment. i worked at this job only 5 months.

so i started getting unemployment, 3 weeks so far.

just got a call today from unemployment. ..... received a letter back from this last employer that laid me off due to budget cuts, that i was discharged due to poor job performance.

she also went on to write that she had warned me once before and i did not listen and i had many complaints.

hello.... i never even met this woman that was my boss, her hours were daytime and mine were at night, she is new being there only 3 months.

i never got a warning for anything nor was i ever late, never called off work and never to my knowledge had a customer complaint.

so i told the lady from the unemployment office today the name of the supervisor that told me i was laid off and also the manager that also knows that i was laid off. lady from unemployment said she was going to call them. she told me if they say that i was discharged i can appeal it

second question is this, i have been working part time doing work on the computer for a company that does ratings for web browsers. i had to sign a 1099 and the work is on a first come first serve basis.

some weeks i get nothing and usually i work maybe 5 hours per week.

you must work 10 hours a week if work is there but no more than 20 hours per week.

i average about 100 - 150 per month doing this part time job. you get paid in your bank account 2 months later.
On your PA layoff/discharge issue, there is nothing to do now but wait. If you're lucky, the suprvr and mgr will tell the truth, but you can't count on that.

Answers to both these Qs is NO:
Quote:
back to my question, will i lose my unemployment benefits since i claimed that i earned 50 one week and 75 the other week.

the unempl wants to know the name of company to ask them my status. well, being independent contractor, will this mean that i get no unemply?
PA grosses up your weekly benefit 30%, deducts gross earnings from that, and pays the difference. You are reporting your earnings as you work. You are fine.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 PM

thank you for your reply. i appreciate this.
yes, i am going to appeal this with my job if i get denied since i was laid off. whatever their reasons were, they told me i was being laid off, never ever said anything to me about bad performance and i do not have any write ups or warnings about such things.
and about the independent contractor work, that is on a first come first serve basis and so is never a sure thing. plus i get graded every month if the ratings are not how they like them to be . and then they can not give you any more work until you pass a test again.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

okay today is oct. 9 2014 and i just received 2 letters from unemployment.
the one letter is to fill out for more info about my contracting job.
the other letter is a letter of determination which says that i am not eligible for unemployment due to the fact that i did not call unemployment office to give them my contracting job info in a timely manner.
sept 22, i called UE office and talked with a man about this. he asked for the info at the time but i did not have it. he told me that i had until oct 12, sunday, which was the next time i was to file. he said that i needed to have this info to them before the 12th so before the 10th which would be a friday.
on friday, oce 3, the investigator called me, which is when i posted the above post, oct 3.i posted that post right after i got off the phone with the lady.
anyway, i got this letter today saying that i had until oct 7 to report to them the name of company i was contracting with and other info about them. when i talked on friday with the lady, i offered this info but she was calling about another issue with my past employer so told me to call monday oct 6.
i admit that i was really upset that my last employer was lying saying i got fired when i was laid off. so the lady told me to call monday and tell them the info. i said i would do that. then come monday, i thought it was a holiday and i never called. meanwhile in the back of my mind, i only hear the man that i talked with on sept 22 telling me that this had to be done by the 10th. yesterday i called to give them the info about my contracting job, yesterday was oct 8.
so the letter i get says that i had until oct 7 to give them info and since i did not do this i am not able to get unemployment. i plan to appeal this because i was not told that this had to be done by the 7th, actually i don't really remember my conversation on friday that well since i was so upset with my past employer lying.
so what do i do now?
i am appealing this. should i also mention for them to listen to my recorded conversation i had on sept 22 with the other UE man to hear him tell me that i had until the 10th to report info?
what to do now?
honestly i did not know that i had to report info to unem before the 7th.
please help me with this issue.
thanks in advance.
p.s. i have not yet gotten a letter to appeal my last employer's false statements... i know that on oct 3, friday, the lady investigator was calling the workplace to talk with the other supervisors that told me i was laid off so i am thinking they told the truth which is the same as what i said, i was laid off.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
okay today is oct. 9 2014 and i just received 2 letters from
unemployment.

the one letter is to fill out for more info about my contracting job.

the other letter is a letter of determination which says that i am not eligible for unemployment due to the fact that i did not call unemployment office to give them my contracting job info in a timely manner.

sept 22, i called UE office and talked with a man about this. he asked for the info at the time but i did not have it. he told me that i had until oct 12, sunday, which was the next time i was to file. he said that i needed to have this info to them before the 12th so before the 10th which would be a friday.

anyway, i got this letter today saying that i had until oct 7 to report to them the name of company i was contracting with and other info about them.

when i talked on friday with the lady, i offered this info but she was calling about another issue with my past employer so told me to call monday oct 6.

so the lady told me to call monday and tell them the info. i said i would do that. then come monday,

i thought it was a holiday and i never called.

meanwhile in the back of my mind, i only hear the man that i talked with on sept 22 telling me that this had to be done by the 10th. yesterday i called to give them the info about my contracting job, yesterday was oct 8.

so the letter i get says that i had until oct 7 to give them info and since i did not do this i am not able to get unemployment.

i plan to appeal this because i was not told that this had to be done by the 7th, actually i don't really remember my conversation on friday that well since i was so upset with my past employer lying.

so what do i do now?

i am appealing this.

should i also mention for them to listen to my recorded conversation i had on sept 22 with the other UE man to hear him tell me that i had until the 10th to report info?

what to do now?

honestly i did not know that i had to report info to unem before the 7th.
Before you file an appeal, call PA and give them the information they need on your contracting job. Chances are they sent the letters just to get your attention. If PA refuses to take that info - unlikely - then, yes, you'll need to appeal. In that case, you also return in writing the information on the contract job.

An appeal shouldn't be necessary for this, as you were given conflicting dates by which you needed to report.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM

i already called pA UE yesterday to give them the contractor information. the lady took this information and did tell me to expect a questionaire in the mail wanting to know more info about the contracting jobs. she was very nice and said that even though someone is classified an indepenant contractor by employers, they might not be an independant contractor. she told me to fill out and mail back soon.
the other letter i got today says that i am not eligible for benefits because i was to have called UE with my contractor info before the october 7, which was this past tuesday. i called the 8, wednesday. i honestly did not know that i had to call by the 7th. i talked with a man a couple of weeks ago and he told me that i had to do this by the next time i filed which would be the 12 of october, so basically have this info to the UE office by friday the 10th of october.
i called the uE office today and talked with a nice man. he told me there is nothing he can do since the decision was already determined and now i have to file an appeal.
so i am going to file an appeal about not being eligible for UE benefits due to not supplying information in a timely manner.
i was told that as long as i file before the 12 i was okay.
so what do i put in my appeal letter? it asks for a reason or do i leave that blank? also what can i expect? i was told today to continue to file my claims, such as this sunday, oct 12. also i have a meeting at the careerlink on the 16 october for reviewing stuff, how to go about looking for employment and help like that at this meeting, called PREP. i was also told to still attend the meeting on the 16th. the man told me this will help me as it will show that i am reliable and on time and what happened when i did not call back UE office by the october 7th was an honest mistake.
so have you heard of people being late with information winning their appeal? or am i totally screwed due to a lack of consistent dates that my information was due?
all phone calls are recorded at the UE offices, do you think they will know to go ahead and listen to those calls or should i suggest this to them when i go into court for my appeal?
thank you in advance for your help.
i tried looking online for any help with this matter and was not able to find any kind of situation close to mine. i called the 8th and they say i was supposed to have called by the 7th and i was not aware of that since i was told by another man it had to be done before i filed my next claim which would be the 12th. and i honestly did that monday was a holiday but thisis niether here nor there... i would have called the uE if i had known that oct 7th was a deadline date.

Last edited by GypsyLady13; 10-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: btw, not worried about the contractor job. i am pretty safe with that

Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
i already called pA UE yesterday to give them the contractor information. the lady took this information and did tell me to expect a questionaire in the mail wanting to know more info about the contracting jobs.

the other letter i got today says that i am not eligible for benefits because i was to have called UE with my contractor info before the october 7, which was this past tuesday. i called the 8, wednesday. i talked with a man a couple of weeks ago and he told me that i had to do this by the next time i filed which would be the 12 of october, i was told that as long as i file before the 12 i was okay.

i called the uE office today and talked with a nice man. he told me there is nothing he can do since the decision was already determined and now i have to file an appeal.

so i am going to file an appeal about not being eligible for UE benefits due to not supplying information in a timely manner.
Has PA disqualified you entirely? Or, just for the period of time before you provided the contractor info? Post the exact language of the letter stating you are disqualified.

Quote:
so what do i put in my appeal letter? it asks for a reason or do i leave that blank?
You disagree with the decision. You were given conflicting reporting dates by two different reps. Provide info on exact dates and times of these calls.

Quote:
so have you heard of people being late with information winning their appeal? or am i totally screwed due to a lack of consistent dates that my information was due?
No answers for you, here. No reports on this board on this particular issue. I can tell you in CA you would get your benefits. PA is a very different state. You will be a test case and will need to let us know what happens.

Quote:
all phone calls are recorded at the UE offices,
  • do you think they will know to go ahead and listen to those calls or
  • should i suggest this to them when i go into court for my appeal?
No, they won't listen to the calls unless you ask them to. They still might not. Again, bring your notes to the appeal, or have them handy if this is done over the phone.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:17 PM

pictures are posted in my album titled 'UE letter'.
i was not told until sept29 monday that they needed my contractor information and then i was told by a man that i had until the 10 to give my info since my next filing claims date is the 12.
the time i filed no one asked anything about my contractor job, it was freelance and nobody told me i needed to give the name etc. i was told only that if i work and make the money that i have to claim it though. so when i filed last on sept 28, i claimed the monies i made doing the contracting job. then on mon, the 29, i actually called to make sure i did everything accordingly. this was when i was told they need all this info. and this is when i was told i had until the 10th to call and give to them.
i got the other call on friday, oct 3 from a lady. she called about my last employer saying i was fired not laid off. yes, i was very upset. i do not remember much of this conversation but i do remember that she did mention about my needing to give them my contractor information. at this moment, i remember that i did offer her to give the information right then and there on the phone. she did not want it then and told me to call on monday. apparently i said i would ...meanwhile i am very upset about my employer and we talk more and hang up.
monday comes and i think it is a holiday, for real, i was thinking it was columbus day.
so meanwhile i am thinking that i have until the 10th to call and give my information about this contractor. so i call on wednesday thinking that this gave them plenty of time to know what was going on with my last employer so that i can kill two birds with one stone, i can find out what was going on and i could give them my contractor information. when i called, the girl told me i would be getting a questionnaire and also told me that i was losing my benefits for 2 weeks since i did not report in timely manner. at this point i did not say anything until the next day i got my letters. so i now have to appeal this. i have only gotten 3 weeks of unemployment so far, does this also mean they want their monies to be paid back?
the appeal paper that i need to fill in, should i give all my reasons? there is an area that says to give reason why you want an appeal.
and yes, i swear that i do not remember things when talking to the lady on oct 3, friday. i was very distraught about my former employer lying.

thank you very much. and yes, i will keep you posted on this. i am in pennsylvania.
added 2 pics to an album. you can check it there. i blacked out the important stuff. i hope by posting pics i am not breaking any kind of law, if i am please let me know. thanks so much.

Last edited by GypsyLady13; 10-10-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
here are 2 pictures of the letter i got from the pA office.

i have only gotten 3 weeks of unemployment so far, does this also mean they want their monies to be paid back?

how do i insert a picture??????
I've cut the repeats when responding to your 2nd and 3rd posts. Please stop repeating this story. We've got it, already. You don't need to use over 20-25 lines repeating the same stuff 3 x. Hard to find the meat of your post when one has to wade through all the clutter - especially since you don't use paragraphs.

Can't answer your Q on repayment without reading the letter.

What you do is click on paperclip icon, browse your computer, upload path, exit, go back to post, click on paperclip, upload link should appear, click on that, pic inserts as thumbnail into your post.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I've cut the repeats when responding to your 2nd and 3rd posts. Please stop repeating this story. We've got it, already. You don't need to use over 20-25 lines repeating the same stuff 3 x. Hard to find the meat of your post when one has to wade through all the clutter - especially since you don't use paragraphs.

Can't answer your Q on repayment without reading the letter.

What you do is click on paperclip icon, browse your computer, upload path, exit, go back to post, click on paperclip, upload link should appear, click on that, pic inserts as thumbnail into your post.

sorry about the repeated stuff. just seems so incomplete when i am writing stuff dow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment