Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,082 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide some feedback with the following issue I am having:

I received unemployment last year due to being laid off. I received unemployment from June 2013 until October 2013. I was denied Emergency Compensation because I unfortunately claimed during the wrong base year.

Most recently, I decided to claim a new claim in August 2014 as I am still unemployed and have not worked since June 2013. I received notification that the claim was accepted because I worked from April 2013-June 2013 and earned more than 7,300$. However I did not work the 20 weeks. Either way, I received notification that the claim was accepted, and the date I can start claiming.

Yesterday, I received a new notification that my claim is invalid due to not working the 20 weeks or not earning 7,300$ in wages.

I did earn more than $7,300 in wages.

First, why was my claim accepted then invalid?

Also, if they won't accept my new claim, why can't they reopen my previous claim and allow me to receive my compensation that I never got to receive from the previous claim opened in 2013.

I really do not understand the system.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,082 times
Live in NJ

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM

25,604 posts, read 56,646,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarthur4 View Post
First, why was my claim accepted then invalid?

Also, if they won't accept my new claim, why can't they reopen my previous claim and allow me to receive my compensation that I never got to receive from the previous claim opened in 2013.
You received a notice of valid claim based on $7,300 BEFORE computer determined those wages were from your first separation. Your claim then became invalid because you did not work between June 2013 and now.

In order to use the LAG wages you reference above in a NEW claim (essentially you are filing AGAIN against the same employer), you must have worked since you previously filed for benefits.

NJ says this on a requalifying claim.
Quote:
REQUALIFYING REQUIREMENT

If you received benefits on an unemployment insurance claim, you must have worked since the beginning of that claim to qualify for another unemployment insurance claim after the first claim’s benefit year ends.

You cannot go from one claim to another successive claim without working in between.

Two claims cannot be based on the same separation from work.

You must earn six (6) times the previous claim’s weekly benefit rate
and work at least four (4) weeks in covered employment to be eligible
for benefits in a successive benefit year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment