Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,617 times

Advertisements

Employer terminated my job giving no clear reason.
When I filed for unemployment they appealed it. Reason according to employer, "he engaged in willful misconduct for duties and obligations of his job."
Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Did you get your hearing notice yet? If so, it tells you how to submit and view the evidence. You need to see it. What your employer has stated is a conclusion, and is not sufficient to get your benefits denied. The employer is going to have to say what you did, prove it, and the state will then decide if it rises to the level of misconduct. What you need to know is what specifically you are being accused of.

Just know that your employer did you a favor by not telling you what you've done because too many claimants when they know why they were let go then talk too much and then get themselves disqualified because everything that comes out of their mouth sounds like an admission. You don't have that problem. However, to do well at your hearing, you have to try to figure out what the employer will be coming in with so that you'll be in a position to let them ramble or counter what they have to say.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3319 View Post
Employer terminated my job giving no clear reason.

When I filed for unemployment they appealed it.

Reason according to employer, "he engaged in willful misconduct for duties and obligations of his job."
Were you granted benefits and now employer is appealing??

Or, has employer filed a response to your initial application stating "willful misconduct" without any specifics?

If it is the latter, then you tell interviewer you don't know why you were discharged and always did your job to the best of your ability.

If you have been granted benefits and are now actually needing to defend these benefits at an appeal hearing, then you do need to see the file in order to accurately rebut the allegations.

Also, what is your state?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

My state is PA.
I was granted benefits and employer has now filed appeal stating willful misconduct.
The statement is generic.
The truth is I did the best for my company. The company made losses for five years. I saved the company over $200,000 and the company made over $400,000 in profit in one year after my joining. Everything improved during the one year I was there and yet they decided to let me go.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
You still need to find out what they are accusing you of. I doubt very much that you can actually prove that you saved them $200K and increased their profit $400K because you won't have the company books to submit as evidence. The employer need do nothing more than make up fake timecards showing that you punched in late 20 times in the past month, throw in some warnings where they cut and pasted your signature on to them with a photocopier, and you'll lose. However, when you see the "evidence," you'll know to then bring pay stubs that you weren't docked for a single tardy, and with a good eye, you'll be able to point out the suspicious line that the cut and paste job from the copier almost always leaves behind, and then you'll be in the driver's seat.

Doesn't mean that the employer will actually go this far, but it's why you need to view the evidence so that you can be ready for ANYTHING.

Last edited by Chyvan; 08-18-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM

I am not a timecard employee. I was a Manager. I can prove the savings clearly as reports were generated and circulated. However, does that help or will it be a red herring?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
You saving employer money is irrelevant. Don't even bother with that line of defense - unless you know, for a fact, employer is accusing you of its losses.

The only thing that matters is what, exactly, is employer accusing you of. Do you know that at this point?

Until you do, you cannot formulate a rebuttal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment