Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times

Advertisements

You did fine.

However, don't go to temp agencies. Save those for when you're about out of UI money, completely out of UI money, there's a very good job available, or you've just ran out of other places to apply. Each temp job, even if only for 1 day, is a new separation issue, and you have to go through this stressful process again, and it's just not worth it in a lot of circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 18,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You did fine.

However, don't go to temp agencies. Save those for when you're about out of UI money, completely out of UI money, there's a very good job available, or you've just ran out of other places to apply. Each temp job, even if only for 1 day, is a new separation issue, and you have to go through this stressful process again, and it's just not worth it in a lot of circumstances.
Hi Chyvan
Thank you so much for you feedback and advice. I did receive a notice in the mail requesting that I sign up for CalJOBS. I am to register and add a resume. There is a bold letters stating " Failure to register in CalJobs may affect your eligibility to receive unemployment insurance benefits"

I am to register within the next 10 days.

What are your thoughts on CalJobs?

Am I supposed to look for any full time job or something am I allowed to be picky? Example: Theres an offer to work full time at a burger joint but the pay is almost comparable to what UI would be paying me. Am I to accept this offer? I dont want to job hop. I prefer to stay long term.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Caljobs is a state sponsored job bank. It's required. You don't have a choice if you want to receive benefits. However, I have yet to see anyone actually get a job that way so you're just going through the motions because the likelihood you find a job that way is about zero.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 PM

Looks like I will have to sign up for CalJobs. I will continue to update this thread when I receive more information. I really hope I do not have to go to appeals since it was my supervisor mistake and not mine. thank you all. Now the waiting game begins.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM

UPDATE:
I was approved for my UI benefits. I am relieved but being newly unemployed I have questions and I hope the forum could address for me.

I registered for CalJobs but didn't complete my full resume. I received a letter stating I have to attend an "Initial Assitance Workshop" in my city. The letter just listed bullet points on what will be covered. Would someone give me insight as to what really goes on? Its 2 hours long and I does not mention anything about bringing in my resume, dress professionally so is it really just "sit and listen"? Do they require active participation?

Would this be the only one I have to attend or will there be more to come?

I searched the internet and someone stated the reason why one would be selected to attend is if their resume on CalJobs was not complete or if it hasn't been updated. Is this true?

I noticed on my weekly certification that my claim expires 1 year from my application date. Does this mean I will receive payments for 1 year? I was under the impression that it was 26 weeks.

If not 1 year, then what is the purpose of stating 1 year?

I received a letter stating I would not receive payment for my 1st week because it was considered a waiting period while my application was being processed. So I was only paid for the 2nd week. However, I was actively looking the 1st week and every week for that matter. My Question is, will that missing payment extend past the standard 26th week and arrive on 27th week? If not, how can I get it back?

I appreciate your expertise and advice.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 PM

I'm of the opinion that the "Initial Assitance Workshops" are just a way to scrutinize your work search activities in an attempt to get you disqualified. They won't help you get a job. Not one person has yet to say, "I'm so glad I went. They hooked me with a job that turned out to be the best job I've ever had." You could go in your pajamas, hair in rollers, and a mud pack applied to your face. They won't care so long as you have that work search properly filled out.

You get benefits for up to 26 weeks, but they give you a year to do it. Some people get jobs and then get fired again, so that's why the year, but only up to 26 weeks of money.

Even with the waiting week, you still get your 26 weeks. They will pay you your 26th week when you get to your 27th week of being without a job.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks Chyvan. I just wanted to give everyone and update on my experience after attending the "Initial Assistance Workshop"

The room was full with probably 50 people from all walks of life and everyone kept to themselves.

The person overseeing everything just read out loud from our handouts.

The letter stated we would be there for 2 hour but we were told it would be no more than 1hr and 15min.

They will force you to choose a 2nd workshop on the spot which is again, mandatory. Everything from how to look for a job, resume building, interviews, and how to use a computer/word processing. The workshops are scheduled within the same month.

The staff was really pleasant to deal with but I do not know why the workshops are mandatory. I do feel that people can benefit from the free services they provide but making it mandatory is unnecessary.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM

I want to avoid a new post so I decided to post in my original thread in hopes I could get assistance from the members of this forum.

I submit my biweekly claims exclusively online. I filed my weekly submission late. I was so worried about my "Initial assessment workshop" on 8/7/14 and trying to find a job that I forgot to file in a timely manner. My last UI payment was on 7/22/14. My last day for bi weekly submission was 7/20/14-8/2/14. I filed on 8/12/14 for that period.

This is what I got from California EDD website.

"Continued Claim certification must be submitted within 14 days of the week ending date or the last payment date, whichever is later."

So going by "whichever is later" this means I should be ok?
I havent received my weekly certification form in the mail nor does it appear in my online WebCert. for 8/3/14-8/16/14. When should I receive this form?
Will my payments be grouped up for the dealy filing?

Thank you again.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:25 PM

For those that want to know.

I appears that:
"Continued Claim certification must be submitted within 14 days of the week ending date or the last payment date, whichever is later."

In my case it pertained to my week ending date and even though I was 10 days late, I was still within the 14 day grace period. I submitted my weekly certification online and my account was credited the next day. I just completed the most recent weekly certification and am now back on track. =)

Now I have to attend my 2nd and final required workshop later this week. I hope its beneficial and not a waste of resources and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment