Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 818 times

Advertisements

My brother is having serious spinal back surgery. He needs full time care for up to 8 months after surgery. I had no choice but to quit my job and move from oklahoma to Louisiana to help care for him. Our parents are dead, and we are both divorced. He is my only family, and I am his only family.

I told my human resource department the dire situation I was in. They gave me no further solutions to my problem. My department head said he could offer me a 30 day leave which in no way was long enough. With no other solutions I quit my job. I had done some research and felt fairly confident I would qualify for unemployment by showing good cause.

I was of course denied. And now my appeal has been denied. The lady administrator doing my appeal twisted everything around. She said I was given access to catastrophic 6 month leave and chose not to take it which was an outright lie. Furthermore my brother my only living blood relative is not considered immediate family by the state of oklahoma.

Do I have any hope at the review board? How can I make my case known?

Depesperate for any help thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
Even if you weren't give a 6 month leave, you were offered a 30 day leave, and you quit anyway.

The thing you are most confused about is that you HAVE to be able and available. Your situation and what you did makes it seem like even if you didn't quit the job, you're still not eligible because you'll be too busy caring for your relative.

The theory behind the leave is that you take the leave, receive no pay, no UI benefits (not able and available), and then you return to your job. All the following translates into you not getting UI. To me it seems like you want be out of work, care for you brother, and collect benefits, and there is a conflict there because the searching for work and being able and available to accept work elements are missing from your circumstances.

As the quitter, the burden is on you so take guidance from your current denial, and prove things that were incorrectly used against you, and know that you have to also prove that while caring for your brother that you can look for work and accept work even with your caregiver duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment