Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

27 posts, read 87,229 times

Advertisements

Hi

Thanks for anyone who can help me.

I am desperately looking for work and my unemployment benefits have been suspended pending an interview, but I am not sure how long the process will take.

I am not 55 yet, so I am wondering if I can take a few thousand(or more) out of my 401K to carry me through until my benefits get reinstated.

Is this considered a hardship? If I need money due to being unemployed, can I take some of my money out with no penalty?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM

176 posts, read 583,759 times
Knowing that workers would resist putting aside money for decades with no chance to access it, Congress made provisions in the 401k rules to allow plan withdrawals in a limited number of hardship situations. These include:
  • Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
  • Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
  • Payment of college tuition and related educational costs such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
  • Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
  • For funeral expenses.
  • Certain expenses for the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence.
But to discourage these early hardship withdrawals, in most all cases the IRS imposes a hefty financial penalty including a 10 percent early withdrawal penalty if you are younger than 59 1/2.
You may qualify to take a penalty-free withdrawal if you meet one of the following exceptions:
  • You become totally disabled.
  • You are in debt for medical expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.
  • You are required by court order to give the money to your divorced spouse, a child, or a dependent.
  • You are separated from service (through permanent layoff, termination, quitting or taking early retirement) in the year you turn 55, or later.
  • You are separated from service and you have set-up a payment schedule to withdraw money in substantially equal amounts over the course of your life expectancy. (Once you begin taking this kind of distribution you are required to continue for five years or until you reach age 59 1/2, whichever is longer.)
Employers are not required to offer any type of hardship withdrawal, so you should check with your employer to see if it is available to you.
Hardship Withdrawals Give Access to Your 401k Savings, But at a Cost - 401khelpcenter.com

Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1993 View Post
I am not 55 yet, so I am wondering if I can take a few thousand(or more) out of my 401K to carry me through until my benefits get reinstated.

Is this considered a hardship? If I need money due to being unemployed, can I take some of my money out with no penalty?
You are no longer employed.

Therefore, ask your employer, or its custodian, about your ability to do a a direct rollover of that 401k into an IRA. You should do this anyway, to gain control and avoid mandatory 20% withholding on withdrawals. Otherwise, if you withdraw from the 401k, the custodian, by law, must withhold 20% for federal taxes, which is not true when you make withdrawals from a rollover IRA.

Consider a rollover IRA at Fidelity/Vanguard/TRowePrice/Schwab and invest the money in a target date retirement fund if you don't know what else to do with it.

Once that is accomplished, you can withdraw from the IRA, without penalty or incurring a taxable event, provided you redeposit those funds into the IRA within 60 days. In other words, you are making a short-term loan to yourself.

Recent Tax Court decision, contrary to IRS guidelines, will only allow you to do a 60-day withdrawal/redeposit once a year, no matter how many IRAs you might have.

How to beat new IRA rollover rules - Tax Guy - MarketWatch

If you don't redeposit those funds, then you could be subject to a penalty, unless use this money for:
Quote:
Medical expenses. You can use IRA distributions to pay for unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed 10 percent of your adjusted gross income without incurring the early withdrawal penalty. The distribution has to be in the same year as the medical expense,

Withdrawals to Cover Health Insurance Premiums While Unemployed

This exception is limited to those who receive unemployment compensation for 12 consecutive weeks under any federal or state unemployment compensation law during the current year or the preceding year. Early IRA withdrawals taken during the current year are penalty-free up to the amount paid during the year for health insurance premiums to cover you, your spouse, or your dependents.
How to make penalty-free IRA withdrawals - Tax Guy - MarketWatch
Any money you do permanently withdraw for above allowable medical expenses is taxable as ordinary income, but you do avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-11-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Further to this, withdrawal from 401k can affect unemployment benefits. In NY, if employer contributed at least 50% of the monies in a "pension," payments (i.e., withdrawals) may need to be reported when claiming benefits. NY handbook specifically references employer pensions where employer has contributed at least 50%. 401k's may fall into that category. You need to check with NY on that. A one-time lump sum withdrawal should only affect one week, but states vary in how they view this. You need to check w/NY on this.

So, if your benefits are reinstated and, meanwhile, you've made a 401k withdrawal, you would need to report that, or at least inquire about it.

This is another reason for doing a direct rollover of the entire account into an IRA. The states don't scrutinize IRA withdrawals, as a rule. You really should roll that 401k into an IRA.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 29,638 times
Interesting .. I am unemployed and have been told that I can withdraw my 401k money to purchase a residence (another state) and also to use those funds to update the structure. I am also in the process of applying for unemployment benefits. 1. Will I be penalized for withdrawing the 401k monies ... 2. Will doing so affect my eligibility for unemployment benefits?

NewToThis

Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Read the two posts above yours. What is different about your case than those already discussed? Both questions have been answered.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
I just realize that if I had been fired just a week later than I was, I could have qualified for the "in the 55th yr" clause

Old 06-06-2016, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,059 times
I'm from California and recently lost my job for over 11yrs and I decided to close my 401k, I took a lump sum on my 401k and I would like to know if that would affect my UI Benifits or EDD would permanently stopped my UI Benifits. Pls help..

Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess08 View Post
I'm from California and recently lost my job for over 11yrs and I decided to close my 401k, I took a lump sum on my 401k and I would like to know if that would affect my UI Benifits or EDD would permanently stopped my UI Benifits. Pls help..
You would have been much better served to roll that 401k over into an IRA, and then withdraw. As it is, now CA will conduct an investigation on the amount of that 401k withdrawals attributable to employer. You won't lose your claim, but the weekly payment may be offset by the percentage of employer contribution.

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 460.55 - Pension or Retirement Pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment