Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM

10 posts, read 9,728 times

Advertisements

Excuse me you don’t need to be a smart ass and that is the story. They sent and email and offered me the job I mean how much more clear do I have to be? But thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,095,734 times
I doubt very much they sent an offer to you out of the blue.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
In the eyes of unemployment, the issue is, You accepted the position before knowing all the facts and denied it after reading the terms of hours. If those terms and hours were on the offer email, you may have a big problem and benefits may be denied going forward. So, were the details of the pay outlined on the offer letter/email or were those sent to you afterwards?

We also have the big issue of how did unemployment know you declined that job offer?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 66,173 times
One time while on UI, I was offered a job by the employer I previously worked for. Same pay, but I turned it down because it was a 20 mile difference driving one way and they wouldn't give me a pay increase for the difference. DOL called me, asked why I turned it down, I told them it was a much farther drive and I was allowed to continue collecting.

My previous employer tried to lie and say they offered me more money as well, I told the lady if they want to offer more I'll take it, but that wasnt the case.

Just explain to the people, they will try to help if they can.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernwisdom View Post
Just explain to the people, they will try to help if they can.
It's more complicated than that. In your case, you employer probably called you out of the blue as an attempt to stop paying your UI claim. You probably could have had the job declared as unsuitable because you were fired by them. If they wanted to offer you the other job 20 miles away, they should have done it BEFORE they let you go. An offer from the employer that fired you is statistically going to be unsuitable even if it was the exact same job.

This person got an offer. It's looking like it wasn't reported by the claimant on the weekly claim form. There's questions as to just why this person even applied for the job in the first place that they aren't saying. This person is going to have problems unless they start filling in the gaps. Once this person starts opening their mouth to the UI people, there won't be any fixing of the story or facts if they get them wrong.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Excuse me, people don’t have to be so nagative. I applied for the job way before I even knew I was getting unemployment around the same time I went to open my case I had no idea I could turn down a job and could possible lose my unemployment I never have been on unemployment before. When I interview they said part time. I would have been ok it it was part time 24 hrs a week and such but when they sent me the email to offer me the position they then said it’s part time and hrs are not guaranteed. I have no reason to lie or not give my story.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 PM

The pay and hrs we offered in an attachment when they sent me the job offer.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srh1234 View Post
Excuse me, people don’t have to be so nagative.

I never have been on unemployment before.
This is what we're trying to stop. First time claimants that screw up out of ignorance.

And even with the follow up post, you're still not getting it.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:50 PM

W.e your rude! Or don’t understand what I’m saying

Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srh1234 View Post
Excuse me, people don’t have to be so nagative. I applied for the job way before I even knew I was getting unemployment around the same time I went to open my case I had no idea I could turn down a job and could possible lose my unemployment I never have been on unemployment before. When I interview they said part time. I would have been ok it it was part time 24 hrs a week and such but when they sent me the email to offer me the position they then said it’s part time and hrs are not guaranteed. I have no reason to lie or not give my story.
Don''t take anyone's comments as a negative or rude. Unemployment was enacted on August 14 1935 yet it's probably one of the least understood or researched benefit. Considering that virtually every person employed will likely use unemployment or at least feels their employer will terminate them any second, why people have not researched unemployment is just confusing to some of us.

Now, the unfortunate reality is once you accept a position, you accepted it under the known terms and conditions. If the employer stated 'part time' you had the burden of asking about the actual 'part time' hours before accepting otherwise part-time hours can be only 2 hours a week. To now claim unsuitable, you need to show a substantial change from the original terms and condition of the offer. An example of a substantial change would be if they said at least 6 hours a week and now saying there is no guarantee of any hours. Another substantial change would be if they said it was Monday through Friday and after acceptance they changed it to Saturday and Sunday. What is creating the issue with this is you failed to state your suitable terms before accepting. Once you accepted their terms, you can go making new demands based on your needs and claim unsuitable.

So, what next? Well the easiest thing may not work because we still need to know how did unemployment find out you turned down the offer? Did the employer report you turning down the job or did you report it on your weekly claim form? The reason this is key is because it enables you to phrase the events in the best light for you. You may be able to preempt any adverse decision via it going from turning down an offer to not actually receiving a bonafide offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment